1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model Y, now

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Mar 3, 2019.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Elon has announced that the Model Y, the Tesla SUV based roughly on the Model 3 vernacular, will be introduced on March 14. Game, Set, Match, Tesla! Tune in to the unveiling and excitement at Tesla.com.

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good bet that the Y will be the first to accept 350kW charging. Currently, all Teslas are limited to about half that. The Supercharger V3 announcement is a week ahead of the Y reveal. What is unknown is whether currently manufactured 3's (also X's and S') are able to accept the higher power charging with an update. I'm guessing is they have the hardware capability already.

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is unclear at this time. We won't know until March 14. As reported:

"As highlighted during Tesla’ Q1 2018 earnings call, the company appears to have changed its plan for an ultra-fast charger with an output of over 350 kW – citing some drawbacks when it comes to energy density and cost of batteries. Instead, Musk said that 200 to 250 kW, which is about twice as powerful as Tesla’s current Superchargers, would make more sense."
    Tesla's are currently limited to a maximum 120kW charge rate with no apparent way to upgrade the battery pack.

4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This directly from Elon:
    "Model Y, being an SUV, is about 10% bigger than Model 3, so will cost about 10% more & have slightly less range for same battery"​

So that means a starting price point in the low $40Ks. This is less than what I expected. A model Y that is fully decked out will go as high as $50Ks

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A 10% premium is a little less than what I thought it might be as well. I will be a day one reservation holder even though we will be purchasing a Model 3 soon.

I wonder if the standard pack will be a little larger than the Model 3's to keep it above 200 miles. Might be close if they keep it the same.

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Will you be getting a 3SR? I have thought about getting a Y as a second car, but we are retired and don't need a second car, especially one that is 10% bigger than our 3MR.

Elon has hinted in the past that the Y will not be available with the 3SR, 220 mile battery pack. I SPECULATE that the Y will come with the SR PLUS battery pack which is rated at 240 mile range in the 3SR or the 3MR pack which is rated at 264 miles, as the base pack. If you de-rate those ranges by 10% because of the larger, heavier Y that gives a range of about 216 miles and 238 miles respectively.

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It may depend a little bit on what kind of ranges they discuss during the Y unveil. Ideally the Y will be our main road trip vehicle a couple years from now, so we may be able to get by with a shorter range for the 3 since it would be relegated to more of an around town vehicle at that point.

8. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would take a very close look at the Hyundai Kona E as far as mileage bang for buck. The problem with the Kona is that it is only vaporware at this time and when/if it is ever produced, it will only be available in limited States like California.

9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, and in our midwestern states we really have to rely on the Supercharger network if we want to use an EV as a road trip vehicle.

10. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's the thing with the lower range battery packs, be they 220 miles or 240. You don't want to get anywhere near zero on a road trip, and probably also shouldn't set your charge range right up to that 100% either, or very often. Let's say 20 miles remaining is your drop dead lowest, and 98% is your highest desired charge (on a long drive). Your recharge spots would need to be less than 200 miles apart, and probably even less than that if you make a rest stop that isn't a Supercharger. That's quite limiting for interstate travel.

Not to say a $35K Model 3 isn't going to be a wonderful car, for what it is intended. In fact, for a commuter/local range car it should be wonderful. If on a long road trip though, I would sure want the longest range battery I could afford.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    disappointing news so far. hope it works out well for them and pushes toward lower priced cars.

12. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    disappointing news in reference to a hoped for 400+ mile Model Y?

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And model Y delivery may be only in symbolic numbers this year?.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, i'm still hoping for a prius sized/priced tesla :)

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    their V3 reveal came out just a few days ago - & it was stated that all model 3 cars since the beginning of their production were are made to be V3 compliant.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What you say is true for every plug in car. Nearly every battery chemistry experiences shorter life with regular deep discharges.

In practice, the issue is more of a concern for your phone than your car, because the car manufacturers are more likely to be using conservative battery management systems. What the car user is seeing as full and empty charge for their car battery actually isn't the battery's full or empty state of charge. They put buffers in there to prevent what you are warning about. It has been done before the current plug ins got their plug. Toyota did it with the first Prius, and Honda botched it on the Civic hybrid.

The concern is actually worse for a short range PHEV than a longer range plug in. With a BEV, buyers are choosing ones with longer range, because they don't have an onboard generator, and charging infrastructure is still young in most areas. The BEV isn't being deeply discharged in daily driving. On the other hand, the PHEV is being fully charged and discharged nearly everyday, possibly more often. So the PHEV battery will have a shorter life, if the manufacturers weren't using software to limit the battery's usable amount of charge. Those buffers may even be greater in a PHEV because of meeting ICE emission warranty requirements.

As for Teslas, they do have an option to charge up the battery further. it's said to be 100%, but I haven't seen anything officially stating that is truly the packs max SOC. They does warn that regular use of the higher charge limit will wear out the battery faster.

I may be misremembering, but the targeted max distance between Superchargers is 170 to 180 miles.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Jason Hughes, tesla owner / electrical / software aficionado has hacked all the various Tesla packs & through its battery management program, has laid out all the various capacities -

Hacker Discovers Usable Battery Capacity For Multiple Versions Of Model S & X

even though the quoted article above doesn't show the 100kwh pack - it was subsequently written up after the release of this article. From memory, I recall the 100kWh pack (actually 102kWh) was similar to the 60 (more than the label} , and that these 2 packs are actually rounded down, yet you get more than what it's branded as. The usable capacity of the 100kWh, is 95kwh ..... roughly 3½kWh buffers, at both the top & bottom end.

Looking at the chart you can see the 60kwh is actually a 72. That means you get a 5 kwh buffer both top and bottom end. That also means it supercharges faster since thw buffers ate bigger.

Another recent tesla fun fact; The 100kWh pack is in fact NOT going to be the only X & S offering ..... exactly. Yes, your pack will be 100kWh - but it's software limited unless you PAY for 100% of its capacity

Tesla Launches New Model S, X With Software-Locked 100-kWh Battery

Think of it - in stead of a 312 mile model S - you might buy a 252 mile range S. 20kWh less usable! Top & bottom buffers? Maybe 16kWh or more! You'd REALLY supercharge fast - due to the massive unused buffer!

#17 hill, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Trollbait likes this.
  18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You demonstrate that you are not familiar with the Tesla protocol. Tesla recommends that you charge to 100% and discharge to near 0%. This allows for the batteries to re-calibrate periodically to extend life and maximize rate. However, this should not be done on a daily basis, which is NOT good for battery life and maximize range. Whenever I am about to depart on a 100+ trip (about once a month). I charge to 100%. The lowest I have discharged is around 7%. According Li-on experts, the AVERAGE state of charge for battery health is around 50%.

Currently, Supercharger spacing on major highways is around 170 miles.

264 mile range works perfectly fine for my needs. 220 mile range would be fine too, but it would require different trip planning.

Perhaps eventually, but Tesla would prefer that TOYOTA make a Prius sized/price tesla. Time for Toyota to step up and into the future!

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ha! i laugh at your nonsense.:cool:

20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Who? Me? What nonsense are you referring too? Uninformed, unstructured responses are what is nonsense. ;)