1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model Y, now

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Mar 3, 2019.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every EV is a manual. One speed: Drive.
    Before the Tesla and 4 Prius's I only had manuals.

After about 5 minutes you get used to the speedometer display. A much nicer place to put it than behind the steering wheel

Mike

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't understand

You would probably enjoy driving "four in hand" as a daily driver too! I have HUD on my Prius, I find it very distracting and turn it off. My model 3 doesn't need HUD because everything is automatic.

#62 el Crucero, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, you are right and that is my experience. Too many people jumping to too many conclusions without any experience on this thread.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After owning three cars without the speedometer behind the steering wheel I wouldn't want one there again. Jmo

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am leery of the digital dash, but I believe the the wheel buttons and stalks can be customized to the driver's common uses.

As for the other things, why does the Lexus have nicer interiors and little touches like self opening cubby boxes over the Toyota model? Why does the i3 have a real wood dash option? Why did the Viper have a $14k paint color? Why do any cars have any equipment beyond the bar minimum needed for operation?

None of Tesla's models are a pedestrian one. They are high end and luxury ones. That makes them more likely to have these 'unneeded' features to make them stand out, and justify the price to the buyer.

Remember, the smart key systems were once an unneeded system only available on higher market cars, and now they are a must have for some buyers of pedestrian ones.;)

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The wheel buttons cannot be customized and stalks cannot be customized AT THIS TIME. But that is the beauty of Over The Air updates. The car is constantly being updated with new features. Tesla is also going to be adding additional voice commands so no customizing buttons will be necessary.

Why? because Tesla chooses to put its R&D into technology rather than meaningless glitz. Why doesn't Tesla advertise like other car companies? Because it doesn't have to while still being the fastest growing car company.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don’t see the point of a glass roof that isn’t doing anything.

Give me steel and knock five large off the price.
    This is just more Elon being elon

NR427 likes this.
  8. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Y wasn't the 3 a hatchback to begin with?
    Y is a tiny, rear wheel drive, very low clearance...vehicle, not allowed on gravel roads, called an SUV?
    Y is Tesla, a sports car company called a luxury vehicle company?
    Y is a company with no EPS and a beta of .05 not a penny stock?

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably doesn't add that much to the manufacturing cost, plus it immensely helps the manufacturing process since they can get at everything easier and put it on at the end.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To expand on what markabele said.
    The glass roof does make the manufacturing process easier, therefore less expensive cars.
    The glass roof also gives more headroom.
    What I like the most about it from a users standpoint is that it gives a much more open feel to the car. It feels much more open, without allowing heat in and only a little bit of light.
    Side windows allow in more heat and light the the roof does.

el Crucero likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll have to try one someday

12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To simplify manufacturing, costs, and satisfy people like me who don't want an SUV as a primary conveyance. Y wasn't the Model S a hatchback in the beginning? For the same reasons. Y wasn't the roadster a hatchback in 2011? etc. Maybe u shud start your own car company, u mite have a winning strategy.
    You haven't even looked at the specs. Y memorialize that online? "not allowed on gravel roads" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Call the company whatever you like. Y is ur point?
    So was the currently largest company in the world (Amazon) in its early stages. Y is ur point?

#72 el Crucero, Mar 16, 2019
  13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nailed it! (y)

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what it really comes down to.
    There is so much that can't be explained as well in words, experiencing it makes it much more clear.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there will likely come a day when you can just go take a test drive without any drama, that's when i'll consider it. (unless i succumb sooner)

16. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dirt roads and tesla warranty

Driving off-road, over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished
    roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed;

Y is a low grounf clearance, two wheel rear drive pseudo SUV called an SUV, when it has no warranty off road?

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is no drama with a Tesla test drive. In fact, many people purchase the car without ever taking a test drive, including me and the car EXCEEDED my expectations. A twenty minute test drive proves nothing. It is difficult to recognize the utility of the car until you have driven it a coupe of days. That is the beauty of Tesla's no stearlership sales model. The folks who drive along on your test drive don't work on commission since there is no stealership. No drama, the price is what is listed on the website, no haggling. Forget everything you have experienced with buying a car in the past and how that car functions. This will be a totally new experience.

#77 el Crucero, Mar 16, 2019
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, it is more a growing trend in the car industry.
    Panoramic sunroofs aren't just for luxury
    Tesla just chose to make it standard on the Model 3 for cost reasons. Large options like a panoramic sun roof add to the cost of even the cars equipped without them. For instance, two different roofs means running two different set of safety and crash tests. The materials for a steel roof are less than glass, but things like the testing and different assembly requirements means the actual price differences for the options will be less, and a higher potential base cost for the entire model.
    Y don't you read your Toyota warranty?
    This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following:(I may have left some out)
    • Fire, accidents or theft(let's add some specifics; curbs, potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles)
    • Misuse — for example, racing or overloading(or going off road)
    • Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Genuine Toyota Accessories(your Prime manual warns against installing a hitch for even things like a bike rack)
    • Installation of non-Genuine Toyota Parts (having to use a Tesla approved shop is brought up as a negative for the brand)

Plenty of wiggle room there to leave the owner paying the bill.
    https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/warranty/2019/T-MMS-19Highlander.pdf

Y did you leave out the line of the Tesla warranty proceeding what you posted?
    "Driving off-road (applies only to Model S and Model 3)"
    Vehicle Warranty | Tesla

Y didn't you note that the majority of labeled SUVs are psuedo ones, and really just FWD wagons?
    In case it was missed, the Toyota warranty I linked was for the Highlander.

el Crucero likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would expect to have it for at least 24 hours

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know someone who took had an S for a weekend test drive.
    A lot of that depends on production levels and availability. I would expect an overnight test drive of a Model Y won’t happen for at least 6 months after production starts.

Although, if you have a neighbor that owns one they may loan it to you for a day:)