1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model Y, now

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Mar 3, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know anyone with a tesla, everyone around here drives hummers. but when the 3 has been out awhile, i would expect more flexibility

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You had a Prius for a 24 hour test drive before you purchased? Does Prius give anyone a 24 hour test drive? They refused to give me one!

Have you asked Tesla? Tesla has given some people a car for a weekend "test drive". You can rent one on Turo for as long as you want test drive. I know that their are model 3 on Turo in the Boston area because I checked it out a couple of months ago when I was there. If you are ever in SoCal, I will loan you my car for 24 hours (or 200 miles) at no cost for you.

#82 el Crucero, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good idea, i may do that. no, no prius test drive, but i felt the way you do now

markabele likes this.
  4. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree on this sentiment. I’m buying a LR model 3 in a few weeks and I’m going to keep this car forever. With battery degradation being a possibility, for example 10% loss in range in 8-10 years, this makes the 220-240 range a big compromise especially for road trips. I want to charge to 290 miles max range and charge around 80 miles or more. Any thing less would make me nervous.

bisco likes this.
  5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While Tesla is still building more Superchargers at their usual frantic pace (like I-90 up north, and across Canada), some routes in a gas car you wouldn't even think twice about still can't be done even in Supercharger rich states. Let's say I had a 220-mile Model 3 with an effective 175 mile range on a good day, and decided to drive from Chicago to Sterling, IL, and back again. In the summer, yes, probably. In colder weather? Heck no. I could cite a hundred other scenarios if I look at their Supercharging map for a while, and even if I include Destination Charging, which isn't available 90% of the time unless you're a guest where they are located.

Cross country trips look not to be a problem, even with the skimpiest of ranges, but it is those "I want to go here" and back home again regional trips that need to be looked at real close. Alternatives to Supercharging are possible, in most cases, but tend to be somewhat nerve wracking since you hardly ever know if they're really working.

As for me, to have ~300 miles available (warmer weather only) is far more comforting. No BEV for me until the time I pop for LR something-or-other.

6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suggest waiting until there is an EV that can go 400, 500 or however many miles YOU need before buying one. And letting everyone else decide how much they need. This is about the 100th post on why the current EVs won't work for someone. Why do we go over this almost everyday?

Mike

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I guess you're beginning to realize that current BEV tech isn't ready for the masses yet then?

Like David, I plotted similar personal charging scenarios last month while I was car shopping. The final 3 were the $35k Model 3, Volt, and Clarity. The base model 3 at less than 200 miles highway (75mph) wasn't going to cut it for me here in Texas. Spending $60k or more to get 300-400 highway miles EV is simply a non-starter for me and I suspect the vast majority of car buyers.

Sorry, but expect many many more posts such as this; especially on a site such as PC.

8. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Finally, some common sense concerning all things tesla.

I agree, range is what matters, if some have the disposable income to buy a 50,000$ +++ electric toy that is fun, great, and if those few can keep a company afloat, excellent.

But, I prefer my prime, enough electric range for errands and enough hybrid range for trips, and money in my wallet as it's not a 50,000$ electric toy but a daily year round drive, not to mention the very distinct possibility that all thing tesla may not be in existance in the near future, really, are the brick and mortar sales venues open today or did they close or did the close then reopen?
    Are the brick and mortar repair facilities open, do they have the parts your car needs, how far away are they from you? Are the technicians competent?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm still waiting for model y :unsure:

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    guess .... not ready for the masses . Once Upon a time?, people guessed we could sail off the edge of the world. Proof was - some sailors never came back, so that's what must have happened. That's what they mean by self-fulfilling prophecy. Believe you can't do something, then you can't. If others realize this truth they too won't try .... they'll remain a part of our "it's not gona work" realization. That's important we must all stick together - us, & @Usle - because we would feel like outliers if everybody bought into the false reality.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The issue with such posts is conflation.

I've been swimming since a kid. Because of that, my default assumption has been that everybody knows how to swim. That simply isn't true.

Many posts about a BEV not working for someone are presented as BEVs don't work for the majority. It is a fallacy assumption that an individual's case represent the population.

Yes, BEVs won't work for everyone, but neither does the Prius. Continually posting the BEVs don't work for all, because they don't work for an individual legitimizes fringe case, hypothetical reasoning people use to buy a truck or SUV instead of a Prius.

It may not get tactfully expressed by some, but BEVs work for far more people than those that regularly travel outside of Supercharger reach.

iplug likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The naysayers - intriguing - coming from USA for a car designed by USA, made by USA, from a USA car company wanted by many around the world but sales banned in some parts of USA. You don’t even see this kind of dichotomy by diesel loving Germany.
    But here? USA? We continue hand wringing to sell the notion;
    "we don't even know if Tesla's going to be around in a couple years with all the cash that they bleed"
    Well yeah, but we don't even know if ANY of us will be around in a couple years ... yet we don't give up on our own self, or our families, or our aspirations, just because things are uncertain & fleeting. Maybe the other car manufacturers would be bleeding cash too if they were investing heavily in a worldwide infrastructure oh, but they're not, and yet some of them aren't exactly cash flushed either. But that doesn't matter to the opposed - so carry on.

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Driving down to SoCal to visit extended family in ~2.5 months. 400 miles each way. Mapped out just to see if our $37k Model 3 SR would have any problems. Nope. Plenty of superchargers throughout the state and our route. As for our prior gassers for many years, never plan to drive the vehicle longer distances than this. Guess we are an exception with our ?"50,000$ +++ electric toy"?. Will repost if we get stranded or any close calls.

bisco likes this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In that gasser, if one service station was busy or down, there was probably another across the street or maybe 15 minutes down the road in the direction I wanted to go anyway. Maybe in CA there are enough superchargers. Not in my neck of the woods. One public supercharger in my town with its only plug occupied every day by the same Model S.

I'm thinking of replacing my Prius v 2012 53k miles with either a Rav4h at ~40 mpg and $42k or a Model Y at 250 miles and $60k.

Why when the v is needing nothing and does the job?

Both candidates have seat entry heights more appropriate for my 76 year old body. Both have electronic nannies I might find useful. And either would be a change. So in a sense, a purchase would be for toy reasons.

My thinking: If the Y were available today...but it isn't. The Toyota dealer is 3 miles away and service has been good. No EV SUV maker in the near term is within 50 miles of me. I'll drive a RAV4h when it gets off the truck late this week. I can order one for 4-6 weeks delivery. It isn't US made (Mine would be made in Canada because of its configuration.). It is green enough that I stop at a gas station more often for a lottery ticket than gas ($2.769 today) so I'm used to the ~40mpg. Not as much of a toy but the manufacturer more likely to be there in easy access. And I can go to the coast or the mountains where chargers are hard to find. Either would go further than my bladder.

Not everyone's reasons or needs. And I made a bad economic decision when I bought the v justifying the difference carefully on a spreadsheet it's higher price based on $4 gas that then wasn't but may be again. I didn't drive enough miles and its depreciation was more than I expected.

Time will tell.

15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, the supercharger network will not meet everyone’s needs, but probably already meets >50% of the US populations’ needs. Add to this is that the network continues to expand in terms of locations, number of chargers at stations, and the charging speed of stations.

One other imported advantage over gasoline stations, with regard to your point, is that a Tesla vehicle tells one the instantaneous status of the stations of interest. If a station is down or full, one can immediately see this and re-routing is automatic.

3PriusMike likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because they have not used a BMW i3-REx to figure out what works against a specific, hard requirement.

I have and since then no problem dealing with a SRM3+ for a Huntsville-to-Stillwater or Huntsville-to-Coffeyville drive.

Bob Wilson

#96 bwilson4web, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably not the best thread to post this but the SR has vanished from Tesla.com; not on the build page nor listed in the various M3 models comparison chart. o_O

Edit: I now see electrek has a story about it.

#97 fotomoto, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  18. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Holy cow. You can cut the drama with this company with a knife. Or a guillotine. This is not going to go well for Tesla, I think. The media backwash will be rough. I'm glad I don't have a dog in the fight just yet. This, and today's Panasonic news that they will not invest in any more production with Tesla at any factory stories coming out today as well.

EDIT: I see they also killed the LR model 3 rear motor version. Oh my!

#98 DavidA, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We replaced our Toyota Prius Prime Plus with a Tesla Standard Range Plus Model 3. So what Tesla offers to those who follow (or proceeded) doesn't really make a difference to us. We had similar experience with Apple and their macintosh, iPhones, and iPads. In contrast, Microsoft only removes useful features and adds day-zero vulnerabilities.

As for Panasonic, the Maxwell battery technology is likely to put Panasonic out on the street. The Maxwell batteries use a different electrolyte technology that eliminates the separator and a particularly noxious solvent. So I've only been waiting for reality to come home and a parting of the ways.

Tesla is known for vertical integration much to the consternation of accountant-run businesses, many financial analysts, and SHORT investors. I've also tried to discuss this with Lucy, our dog, but she doesn't understand it either.

Bob Wilson

hill, bisco, markabele and 1 other person like this.
  20. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our cats could also care less, and attempting to explain all this to them is completely pointless. They hate all cars, especially when riding in them knowing full well there's a veterinarian visit at the other end. Hiding behind cars is another matter entirely, as avoiding visible detection is part of their DNA. There will never be a Cat Mode in Tesla cars anyway, nor would it amuse them if there was.

Seems like our discussion of Tesla wanting an additional several thousand for what Toyota already gives us with their Safety Sense, which includes dynamic radar cruise control is becoming almost mute, as that $3K system is now effectively standard, albeit adding a couple more $K to the prices. Up the price and include it anyway -- a standard marketing procedure with most companies.

I thought the Maxwell deal wasn't final yet, unless there's more news in the next few days.