1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model Year 2015 Release Date

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by virtualy, Jul 11, 2014.

1. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've been offered a new 2014 Blizzard, Advanced Technology for $35K. I'm tempted but wonder if I'll be buying a 2014 model just before the 2015s appear. When do the next year models get released by Toyota?

Thanks.

2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I see $36,402 before an "e-price" in NJ, which is already below invoice according to Edmunds. I also see that many of them have been sitting on the lots for over 3 months.

Looks like dealers might be anxious to move any of them, so maybe see if they'll throw anything else on top to sweeten the deal.

3. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I did the same self-questioning when I decided for my '14 Advanced with Tech package. The price you've been offered is a bargain. And there's some question when the '15 MY will actually show up for the PiP. I've read conflicting things, but it seems the '15 is first coming as the regular, non plug-in variety, with other models to follow. It may be early-ish next year before the '15 PiPs are here.

Anyone with better information please feel free to correct me! ;-)

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. LA2014Prius

LA2014Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went through the same thought before I bought my 14 pip base. I think 2015 will be the same car, next totally new prius will be 2016. I don't like to buy first year model anyway in case of any problems..

#5 LA2014Prius, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dealer Initial order June 1, 2014

7. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just returned from the dealership. Disappointing, as always.

I had decided, assuming the car met expectations, to secure the model I wanted. However, they stuck me with a young sales critter who knew very little about the car; nothing about adaptive cruise, audio options, EV function, etc. For instance, he insisted the cruise control would automatically maintain a distance, based on speed, all the way to a stop. Driving the demo, with him in the back, we closed on the car ahead rapidly and got too close for my comfort before, ignoring his insistence, I hit the brakes. Automatic braking never occurred.

Turns out, he had grabbed a non-technology advanced to demo the adaptive cruise. Clueless. And the battery was drained so I was unable to engage EV. Completely met my expectations. I left w/o buying a car.

So, I ask you good folks, how slow does the advanced tech adaptive cruise go? Will it stop the car? What distance will it maintain? Is it automatically variable based on speed, or do I set a specific distance myself?

Does the Adv Tech do Pandora natively? By that I mean, can I use my iPhone for different things, like driving apps (Waze), and not have to switch screens on the phone to like or dislike a song on Pandora?

When I said thanks and headed for my car, they sent out a "senior salesperson" to intercept me. This one seemed a little savvier, though he couldn't get me into a charged Plug in, or demonstrate Pandora, or provide me with any useful data or experience, really. But he promised to obtain the "extremely rare" car I wanted to buy (Blizzard, Advanced, Tech) and bring it to me at my home so that I could try before I buy. That seemed very accommodating.

The price they've quoted me, $35K, seems reasonable. Below invoice, if I can believe what's on the i'net. What do you think? If he locates the car, and brings it by the house, and it meets my wife and my needs, should I just fold and buy the thing? Or try to squeeze him for...what?

Sorry. Long post.

8. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry, retired. Was typing the previous rant when you replied. That means the 2015 model year is now in play, yes?

Thanks.

9. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't believe adaptive cruise control will stop the car. Good thing you paid attention and braked, the dealership would have been on the hook. What ACC will do is adjust your speed to match that of the vehicle ahead of you. I don't happen to like it myself, having used it in a variety of cars over the last several years. There are cars that have the automatic braking, such as Mercedes, and I believe maybe Subaru, if I'm remembering the tv commercials correctly.
    If I'm wrong about the PiP Advanced, someone will correct me here. ACC is designed to work only above a certain speed, probably at least 20-30 mph. Toyota May call it something other than ACC, maybe with "dynamic" or "radar" in the name.

10. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Advanced with tech package are 1 in a 1000. $35k is a good price if it is before the $4,500 rebate plus 0% down TFS loan. The rebate should be in your pocket not the dealers. E price always comes with fine print.

What part of the country are you in? Lots of experience here with good and bad dealers.

DRCC is radar cruise control with 3 distance settings.
    Pre collision will apply some brake for you in an emergency but is not a substitute for normal braking. Somebody already made that mistake into the side of a truck and is or was trying to sue for false advertising.

11. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm in California. Don't know anything about a $4500 rebate. There is apparently $2500 available for purchases, as opposed to leases. I'm told the $2500 has already been applied to get the price to $35K. MSRP is $38,945 - or so I'm told. They must have included some expensive rugs as that's $225 more than I'd thought MSRP would be.

Three distinct follow distances? So if I set some reasonable distance for 65 mph and traffic slows to 35 mph I'll be way behind the guy - and pissing off everyone behind me? That doesn't sound so good.

12. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would think you should be able to order one from a good dealer.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Pre-Collision System is active any time the car is READY, not just when you are using the cruise control. It is not designed to prevent a collision; it is designed to mitigate a collision that is inevitable. It does things like sound an alarm, slam on the friction brakes, lock up the seatbelts, and pop the airbags an instant before the actual collision.

The DRCC drops out at 24 mph, just like the conventional Toyota cruise control. If you are approaching a vehicle too quickly, the DRCC will also sound an alarm, but this is distinct from the PCS functionality. Unlike the cruise control on conventional cars, which controls only the throttle, the DRCC (as well as the standard cruise control on the Prius, I think) will use rather aggressive regenerative braking to hold your speed on a downhill, well beyond the normal "idle" regeneration when your foot is off the throttle.

14. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you, Charles.

Perhaps you could answer a related question. What happens when one engages the "B" setting for the drive train? I was always under the impression it increased regen, thereby braking with the *motor* (electric). However, I read somewhere in this site that it engages the *engine* (ice), thereby slowing the vehicle.

Off topic but I'm curious, as I've often used "B" on downhills to control speed in my Gen II - thinking I was just harvesting more electrons.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. it uses the motor as friction to slow you down when the battery is full and regen isn't possible. it doesn't increase regen per say, but it prevents unnecessary brake use you otherwise might have if you stayed in d and used the brake pedal, depending on the steepness and length of the hill.

16. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A little confusing. Motor. You mean ICE, yes? How about when the battery is *not* full? Does it still spin up the engine? Or does it engage the electric motor?

17. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I purchased a 2014 PIP Advanced with the technology package. It was extremely hard to find.

Sometimes I use the radar cruise control and at times I use the speed governed cruise control. The car will brake aggressively with the radar cruise control engaged but the breaking will drop out at about 25 MPH or so (maybe they figure that if you hit someone at 25 MPH, the only thing you will damage is the car...;)). The LED headlights are incredibly bright.

Even with the cruise control NOT engaged, the pre-collision system will warn you. It sounds and alarm and blinks on the dashboard...first time it happened, scared the you know what out of me...on the other hand, it is nice to know that it is there.

When I first got the car, I used the Radar cruise control almost exclusively. It does need to be monitored carefully so it doesn't do unforeseen things...it is pretty conservative. It does a good job of maintaining the distance and tries to compensate for the varying traffic. Once I figured out how to use the speed governed cruise control, I now use it about 50% of the time.

Anyway, my car had a strange history...was delivered in Southern California in 'Superwhite'. In Northern California, they only had Blizzard Pearl advanced cars and no tech packages. The car that I ended up with was shipped to Marin where the buyer backed out. A dealer in San Francisco picked it up and I got it from them (San Francisco Toyota was great to deal with, BTW...very knowledgeable about the Hybrids and really took their time). I still got the car at well below MSRP so I was happy. Tried to find a Blizzard Pearl version but ended up with the Superwhite.

None of my local dealers could find the 'Advanced with technology package'. I ended up checking dealers websites one by one until I found one. I suspect that it has to do with the margin that the dealers make on the cars. In any event, overall, while it was a PITA to find, I am very happy with having the tech package and for me, it was worth it.

Good luck,

Phil

P.S. I have about 3,000 miles on the car to date...purchased mid-April. The SF Dealer told me that in prior years, the dealers had ordered a lot of Advanced with Tech packages and had difficulty selling them...and that for 2014, relatively few were ordered. Can't verify but that was the story.

#17 PhilBlank, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  18. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    After a year on this forum, even I know that in that case you go to Dianne at Carson Toyota; and I live in south-east England... I do know how big California is, but judging from what people say here, even if I was in North California I'd be taking the drive down to her.

19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's about 2,700 miles from North Carolina to Los Angeles, just one way.

40 years, ago, when I was young and foolish, I made that distance in 56 hours or straight driving with a friend.

It took and entire day to get through just Texas.

20. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just checked the Northern California Toyota dealer website (this is an aggregation of the NCAL Toyota Dealers and it allows you to search their entire inventory. Only shows four Advanced with technology packages amongst the nearly 100 Hybrids listed....ugh

#20 PhilBlank, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014