1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MODELLISTA NEO ADVANCE STYLE

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PianoBench, Jan 13, 2023.

1. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    New 5th gen Prius Modellista concept drop! Love the headlamp concept!

What does everyone think?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Lights are nice. The lower body moldings aren't for me. Partially because of ground clearance issues in my area, partially because it's near-impossible to make any type of body moldings look seamless on a modern vehicle. And a seamless look is important to me.

I did just look at the TRD Parts for the new Prius on their Japanese site. The front bumper mod looked pretty good, but I can't use it because of ground clearance again. Didn't like the rear spoiler at all. The door latch reinforcements and front and rear stabilizers looked interesting to make the handling just a little bit better. Not saying I'm going to run out and get them, but I might think about it again if I'm ever able to get a 2023 or 2024.

3. myktek

myktek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like their other one better personally.

4. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    #4 Christopher O'Brien, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    TGrracie and PianoBench like this.
  5. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Some of those are pretty nice, and most should also work on a US spec car. Unfortunately, the one that would really be nice(and affordable at around $30USD) isn't: I really like that cup holder that fits in front of the driver's AC vent. Keeps cold beverages cool in the summer and hot beverages warm in the winter. But that accessory will only work on a right hand drive car.

Others that I like(prices without Japan consumption tax):
    - logo projection lights for the front doors ~$150
    - foot lights(assuming those aren't already part of the US spec) ~$100
    - sliding armrest ~$85
    - HDMI input ~$40
    - side mirrors that auto-adjust to show rear wheels when in reverse ~$130
    - trash compartment for front door pocket ~$20 per side
    - storage/tissue box for above infotainment screen ~$50
    - cup holder covers ~$30
    - upgraded audio ~$730 (I think it's a step above the JBL system in the Limited/XSE+)
    - really like the WingDancer wheels as a 17" alternative to the stock wheels and covers (~$890)

6. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm particularly intrigued with the "GR Performance Damper® set" on this webpage: トヨタ プリウス | 装備・オプション | GR PARTS | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト. They are described this way:

It is a damper specially designed for the car model to be attached to the front and back of the body. By eliminating the vibration and noise felt while driving, it achieves a high level of both comfort when riding and steering stability at high speeds. It realizes a high-quality running that is different from strengthening the body rigidity.
    I think they were also available (under the TRD label) for Gen 3 and Gen 4, but I can't say I've ever heard of anyone who used them over this side of the Pacific. They seem to be part comfort and part performance with some usefulness for the latter, I assume, as they do come from Gazoo Racing.

Anyway, as in the past, there's going to be a ton of stuff available for the Prius in Japan that won't ever be on offer over here. It's as if Toyota thinks of North Americans as a bunch of dullards who don't take any real pride or interest in their cars. I guess we'll have to rely on 3rd party companies to get us some of the goodies.

PianoBench and Trollbait like this.
  7. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    edit: Deleted my original post on the subject.

I'm glad you brought up the GR Performance Damper kit again. I looked at it months ago and convinced myself it interacted with the steering rack in some way so it wouldn't work on a LHD car. That's what my original post here was about. But I wanted to be certain, so I found the installation instructions(I don't think they were yet available when I first learned about the kit). After finding a way to (mostly)translate them to English, it looks like the front damper installs well forward of all steering components and should work on both RHD and LHD versions. My interest is now re-piqued.

non-translated instruction: (download the pdf and then use Google Translate to convert to English)
    https://www.trdparts.jp/manual_pdf/prius/MS303-47004.pdf

#7 Hammersmith, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  8. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry that I didn't notice your original mention of the dampers (got distracted by the Modellista videos). So, the dampers do seem to be at least partly for improving the handling, but apparently installing them is, as stated, "different from strengthening the body rigidity." The only visible accessories I got for my 2013 Plug-in were a set of 16-inch Wedsport SA-15Rs (which did make a noticeable difference to the handling), but even more effective were the out-of-sight mods I added — a front strut tower brace, a rear anti-sway bar, and two underbody chassis stiffeners (made by a Priuschatter who is an engineer). Those mods made a significant difference to how the car feels (way more fun in the corners!), and I convinced my wife that it was worth spending all that money on them because they made the car safer (which was proven when we avoided a high-speed accident last summer by a quick left-right-left manoeuvre that I don't think an unmodified Prius could have undertaken without a serious loss of control).

I never did get into coilovers and the like, but it will be interesting to see what the aftermarket world will offer for the Gen 5. I can't imagine there will be as many mods for improving its looks as for previous Gens, but I assume there will be lots of scope for improving handling, and of course, there will be wheels galore, I'm sure. I can't say I'm a fan of the 19-inch wheels, and I haven't seen what the 17-inchers look like, but maybe a set of very lightweight 18-inch would work, assuming tires of the right size could be found.

Anyway, it's early days yet, and I look forward to what other mods and accessories will appear.

#8 Christopher O'Brien, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    PianoBench likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From my quick look into dampers, it sounded like their main purpose was to negate any negatives to NVH that are the result of stiffening the frame. Is there more to it?

PianoBench likes this.
  10. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You've flummoxed me there, Trollbait. NVH?

PianoBench likes this.
  11. SnakeKeeper

SnakeKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I absolutely love the front part of this kit, especially the integrated lighting. I’d rock that for sure.

PianoBench likes this.
  12. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I want the a 3D model of the front bumper triangle lights on the Neo so I could modify it and add more driving lights to the Prius. Seems like a cool way to add lights that wouldn't stand out too much.

PianoBench likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Missed this.
    NVH is noise, vibrations, and harmonics. Basically, the noise and vibration experienced in a running a car. Mostly the engine, but suspension and chassis are also involved. Make the frame stiffer, and vibrations from the engine and suspension are more likely to reach the cabin.