1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modern 2015 armrest solutions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by E46Prius, Aug 14, 2015.

1. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I've searched. Scoured eBay, this forum, Amazon, etc. Tons of generic armrest photos/products from a 1980s Chevrolet that do not apply to the 2012+ prius. There are some threads here but they're all old and nobody really has a solution. Now that it's 2015, has anyone come up with something? Is there a "oh yeah we've been doing that for years" solution? Sorry I am new to the Prius and am still learning about whats out there for it =)

The option seems to be to swap for a 2010-2011 armrest. Why Toyota changed to this horrible design is beyond me. It's like setting your elbow on concrete. That is if you are lucky enough to avoid the cupholder where my elbow just so happens to naturally land.

What is the official Toyota part# and where can I buy an armrest to swap? Is there a site where you guys have a diagram to look up toyota parts? I imagine it's not cheap.

The second option is for aftermarket--but nobody seems to make one. Why? I'd pay good money if someone made a luxurious/clean/OEM/COMFORTABLE armrest. I do NOT care if it covers or replaces the cupholder. I am looking for something extremely clean and high end looking. Not looking for a hodge podge home brew stick a pillow on here solution hahaha =)

What have you guys done? Is there a Lexus part that swaps in? It's the only part of the car that's a total and complete failure. How this passed Toyota's testing is beyond me. That person should be fired.

The other option is to PAD the existing armrest. Take it to an upholstery shop. But that doesnt address the cupholder issue.

Again, sorry if this has been addressed lately. I just haven't seen ANY threads with any good solutions. Just seeing if there's a new discussion about it that I'm not aware of. I searched =)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe swap with 2010-11 owner, they hate them. have you checked jdm?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like you've already thought of all the possibilities I would of tried to think of..and more.

I could easily be wrong, as this is a problem that doesn't bother me. BUT as far as I know there isn't a simple "Plug and Play" option. So I venture you're NOT missing the "Lexus" part that you could just switch out. As far as I can tell, you aren't missing a "new" solution that everyone is doing.

Which pretty much leaves you with all the options you've already discussed.

With past vehicles I've owned I've been impressed with what a good auto upholstery shop can do. But it's kind of a challenge to find one that has the craftsmanship to be willing to make a change. But if it's just a matter of adding padding? That's where I might start.

Otherwise, I think you're seeing all the options and avenues you have.

4. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I came across this. Was thinking the same thing. Could use a little more padding on that center console armrest. It's basically a slip cover that fits directly over the existing center console armrest. Probably more of a protective cover to cover a damaged one or keep the armrest from getting stained or worn. I'm guessing not much additional padding. I'm thinking just cut some soft, comfortable foam to size, place on top of the center console and then slip this over. May not look pretty but it would add some cushion w/o ripping out the existing armrest. Just an idea.

Center Console Cover for Toyota Prius 2012 to by CrazyCoversUSAcom

bisco likes this.
  5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
  6. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    @E46Prius your probably looking for something like this below. The link is for the cup holder that I questioned before and its per my vin#. You can see the diagram for the console though. What I suggest is go to a dealer and find a 2010/2011 and get the vin # and send it to these guys and they can give u the exact part number you need and price to get what you want.

Mossy Toyota -