1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

*MODIFICATION JOURNAL* I got my hands on the girlfriend's Prius ...here is what I did.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ucsbwsr, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I love the SSR SP-1 and Work Meisters too. The finish on these is not my favorite, chrome/polish is a little flashy and I would prefer to have a deeper lip (duh) but a very high quality wheel none the less. Powder coating the faces black would really up the appeal for me. The combo of a black face, with exposed hardware, and a step lip is a timeless combo ...and badass. My old M5 had a similar setup:

[​IMG]

Regarding your fitment, it should work after some moderate fender work. The biggest headache on the Gen II fitment is the rear bumper bracket with your specs it shouldn't come into play but your rear wheels but that is because the rear hubs sit ~15mm inwards. The sunken look killed me so I added some spacers and REALLY had to do some work to keep the rear from rubbing. It was a lot of work but the fitment is pretty good (for a Prius) and it only rubs under huge highway compressions with cargo. Your front fenders will need to be rolled and maybe slightly pulled to fit those specs.

Just keep in mind the rear won't sit flush without a spacer, if you decide to add some, find a skilled fender roller and prepare to do battle with the bumper bracket. Flush fitment is totally worth it.

Here is a comparison between our wheel specs:

[​IMG]

Burna J and orenji like this.
  2. LamboGuy

LamboGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for your answer, can't wait to return from my trip and start playing with my new toy!

iPhone ?

Burna J likes this.
  3. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are welcome, let me know how it goes.

4. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We had some fog here in SoCal so I snapped some pics of the Acura RL projectors...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

gta_, da_patriot, OGGIE50 and 3 others like this.
  5. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Big weekend for the Prius.

My wagon has been getting all the attention recently as for the past year my E61 has been in my garage on jack stands as I repaired and swapped in a replacment N54 motor, swapped the AT for a manual, relocated the ABS/DSC pump/module/hard lines, converted from AWD to RWD, upgraded my fuel system, and retrofitted complete E60 M5 drivetrain. :)
    More here for those inclined: Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Wagon Build Log - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

Back to the Prius. She got a 100,000 miles service + some other goodies.

Evan

There were some interior trim clips which popped loose during a previous project and were rattling in the rear tail gate and would make noise every time you shut the hatch, it was super annoying and I can't believe I let it persist for so long. I ripped the trim off the hatch and found the clips, put them in their homes, and before replacing the trim I mounted some CLD Constrained Layer Damper tiles I had from a previous mobile audio project in hopes they will limit rattling.

In a perfect world I would gut the Prius and do a proper sound insulation install, the horrendous road noise and tin box/plastic rattle is one of my big gripes of the Prius. The other is the terrible seats, I am 6'8" which compounds the issues. Retrofitting some front seats from a Lexus and proper sound deadening would really transform the car and make it a pleasant place to be, as it is now I find it merely tolerable. [​IMG]

Oil change, new oil filter, and tires rotated F-R as they are directional.
    [​IMG]

The passenger seat belt had been chewed by a dog and had a notch that the belt clip would get hung on when putting your seatbelt, annoying and dangerous. I went to LKQ and found a replacement belt in great condition for a couple dollars. After install I gave it a quick clean and it looks like-new. Here is is drying.
    [​IMG]

The rubber cover for the rear hatch button is "done." Ordered a new cover.
    [​IMG]

New engine filter. +5hp for sure.
    [​IMG]

With the tires off I took the opportunity to do some work on the fenders, more trimming of the bumper brackets and the body to alleviate rubbing. As it was it would rarely rub with 2 people but much more prominent with 3 or 4 occupants. I hate rubbing.
    [​IMG]

Vinyl roof was way past it's prime and reverting back to stock was an aesthetic upgrade. For as compromised as the vinyl looked it came off without much drama. One of my big concerns with vinyl on the exterior of the car is if it's left for too long and either becomes brittle starts flaking during removal or worse, fuses to the roof. :/ Thankfully this wasn't the case. Vinyl was 3M 1080 and was on for ~3 years, a little surprised the vinyl looked this weathered but then again, my wagon gets the garage!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ex-VAG

ex-VAG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Great work there, never thought there were many mods that you can do to the Prius! How did you tint the small fixed windows either side of the A and C pillar? Did you remove them? I'm looking to dark tint mine but can't find any instructions on how to remove and put these back?

7. HadesSorceror

HadesSorceror Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A true inspiration for me following your mods!