1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modify back window on hatch below spoiler with latch (ideas, kit, suggestions)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cyansmiles, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cyansmiles

cyansmiles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have two dogs and I like to put them in the back hatch area, but I dont like there are no windows to open. Yeah I might eventually have to put them in the back seat, but right now they are puppies (6 months old) and the back is a nice space. Actually the head rests work nice to keep them from jumping over the seats when you pull them up.

Anyways, we keep wondering when we put them back there is there is a way to modify the window under the spoiler to open and close. The idea would be to do it sorta like they way the old van windows would pop open and lock. They had a little lever you would bend open.

If anyone has ever seen this done, know of a thread or website where someone did this modification I would like to find one. If it is possible to modify the car for less than a few hundred, I might find a way to get it done. I know a few body shops and have access to friends that might have the skills to do the work.

I think it is too bad Toyota did not think of this idea first. It would be a nice way to circulate air in the car too. I wish I had a sun roof on my car to tell the truth, but I dont plan on doing that mod. For right now I am just curious what people will say about this idea and if they have ever heard of anyone doing anything like this.

I included an example of a latch from a van. I realized the current window is "glued" on. I would need a latch on the bottom of the window + two connections to the frame from the top of the window. I might even need two latches. I realize if I break the window it will cost about $250 to replace (or more) form a dealer. But I am still curious. I also realize drilling holes in windows in near impossible since they are tempered.

Nathan

Attached Files:

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd first want to be sure that air flow in that region wouldn't cause stagnation or ingestion of exhaust gases (admittedly not as much of a concern as on a full ICE vehicle).

3. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you could take one of the rear quarter windows out
    make its shape exactly out of plexiglass or Lexan
    that should be able to replace the original glass
    and you could make or adapt a simple ventilator on it with a sliding part
    Vista Vents

alternatively there are small hatches and sunroofs for the rear roof?