1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modifying Stock JBL Head Unit to Stream Bluetooth Audio...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusFruit, Sep 26, 2017.

1. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone,

I have a few questions on this topic so please bare with me! :)

I've searched around and read various topics. If one of my questions is answered in another thread, please refer it to me. Thanks

-

I'd like modify the 2nd Gen Prius to stream bluetooth audio.
    Is it possible to install a component into the stock JBL head unit to enable this?

Other threads mentioned buying bluetooth accessories, but I'm not interested in a "plug & play" accessory. I'm going to keep the stock look alive, because it's not too flashy and I like that.

My final question, if there isn't any modification available to keep the stock head unit in place, will changing the head unit interfere with the bluetooth phone options the car originally comes with?

As I'm typing this I'm thinking the stock head unit is the cd player and the screen display (map, cd, phone, etc). Is this correct?

Thanks everyone who shares their advice and opinions! Have already learned a lot and saved money by reading through this forum. :)

2. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_581BT45TOY/USA-Spec-BT45-TOY.html?tp=68488

Crutchfield says this would fit in your car. You can pull the radio out and hook it up to the existing wire harness, then hide it in the dash. Doesn't look like you need to splice or tap into wires and you'd keep that OEM look.

With our JBL systems we already have blue tooth but it's a very old version and isn't capable of BT LE streaming that our iPhones and Androids use. Basic enough for phone calls. I'd imagine you can avoid plugging in the microphone that comes with the BT kit and still use the OEM blue tooth for phone calls and the kit for streaming music.

Our devices are capable of connecting to many blue tooth peripherals.

Another option you have is plugging a BT module inside the center console and placing it in the very bottom. You'd still keep the OEM look, the install would be very easy, and you could remove it just as easy. It would also be a bit cheaper.

http://amzn.to/2fxwi7n

That unit will also allow pairing of two devices in case a friend or significant other wants to play their library as well :)

PriusFruit likes this.
  3. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I chatted with Crutchfield about the item you linked Max and found out that their bluetooth component won't disable the car's factory bluetooth, however we are only able to connect to one bluetooth device at a time; makes sense.

I will save my money and keep using the aux instead.

Thanks for your comment Max, nice to know this option exists!

4. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My iPhone can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices at a time. But yes, I think routing a cheaper Bluetooth unit through the AUX will be your best bet

5. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rep mentioned that I wouldn't be able to simultaneously sync to both at the same time. If I received a call while listening to the music, it wouldn't transfer to the cars bluetooth.

Regardless, this is a luxury not needed! :D

6. MarcusE

MarcusE New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my bluetooth connector on wish for like 34$ easy connected on the backside of the jbl stereo, loads of vids on how to do it on youtube. My iphone 6s connects to both the original bt and the new one and works perfectly. Took me 25 min to set it up. The contact for it connects to the second socked in from the side. First you have a wider socked with cables attached and then the second one is free. It adds like a second cd-changer so i have both bt and cd

7. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey MarcusE, do you have to switch the bluetooth connect on your phone each time you want to go from listening to music to making a call?

8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have connected a very inexpensive BT audio interface to my Prius' aux input and am able to use both, the Prius phone interface and the audio at the same time. My phone is an Android 6 and is able to be connected to both. I am streaming audio from my phone and when the phone call comes in it goes to the Prius interface and works just as usual. Steering wheel phone buttons activate the phone dial as usual, etc. The head unit switches audio properly, etc. Everything works just fine. The little BT dongle I used is a cheapo $15 thing I found kicking around my house, abandoned by my older son. I don't even know what brand it is. It is totally random cheap accessory and it works fine.

PriusFruit likes this.
  9. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    does the BT interface need to be charged?

10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine does, but I am sure there are different ones out there. I have one at home I use to stream to my old school hi-fi setup (Marantz receiver and some sweet 70's speakers). That one has a wall wart power plug and no battery to charge. I am sure it can be used in the car as well.