1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mods for turning on accessories without shutting the engine first from driving mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ZeroM8, Nov 2, 2019.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What was it doing instead, projecting moving scenery on my windows? It was sooo realistic.

I know it's an advanced car and all....

No security system at all? What do you call the way it prevents you powering on without the fob?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, just because you don't like the feature set of the security system doesn't mean it isn't real.

Also,

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.33.26 PM.png

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure but your able to drive away without the fob in the car until you actually shut it down? You call that security?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wouldn't you rather learn that from a thread on PriusChat that you highly doubt, than from somebody driving away with your car?

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the risk of repeating, I will attempt to rephrase.

If you get into a Prius without a keyfob, it will NOT start.
    If you get into a Prius with a keyfob, it WILL start and drive. If you leave the car with the key in your pocket while the car is running, it will keep running. That is not a lack of security, that is more like a safety feature. If the car shut down every time it sensed lack of keyfob, then if and when the battery in the fob dies and you happen to be driving, the car will shut down on you. Not a good situation. So once the car is running it will keep running even if the fob is not in the car. I think this is totally reasonable behavior. Once the car is shut down by the power button, then it will require the fob again to be present to start. Think of it as an old fashioned car with a metal key. Once the car is running, you can leave the car (to get your mail from the mailbox, say) and it will continue to run until you shut it down. Same thing here, except the key is not inserted into the car. I am not sure how to improve this behavior. If you want to secure the car, you shut it off, lock it and don't leave the key in or near it. How is this any different from any other car?

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Indeed

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.