1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Module testing methodology

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dpeverhart, Jun 14, 2015.

1. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I stumbled upon a possible module testing method today that I haven't seen discussed. I am working on a Gen1 battery pack which I swore I would not do anymore due to the age, electrolyte leak etc. However a friend convinced me to help him keep it going for 'a little while longer'. The car does only have 108k miles so I thought I'd help him out.

We started with an intermittent P3018 code (cell block 8 becomes weak). It would go away on it's own, then come back some days later. First test was with Techstream. When placing battery under load voltage drops looked perfectly normal across all cell blocks with no voltage deviation greater than .15. However, when forced charging it was clear cell block 8 had an issue, always charging the fastest and going about .25 volts higher than the next highest block, only to drop back into the lower range of the other blocks under load.

After taking the pack out of the car I started with a basic voltage test. All tested between 7.81 and 7.87 volts. Then I put each module under a 100 amp load for 8 seconds. They all held strong including both modules from cell block 8 at about 6.5 volts.

Now for the new method based on the Techstream results from the force charge. This is very time consuming but I felt worthwhile in getting this pack right. I put each module individually on an RC charger and recorded beginning voltage and placed under a 1 amp charge. The voltage will fluctuate as the amperage is applied so for example the typical module would start at 7.82 volts and when the charge reached 1 amp within 10 seconds or so it would go up to 8.02, then cycle to no charge for a few seconds, then up to 1 amp etc. The 'good' modules seemed to fluctuate .20 volts difference between no charge and 1 amp charge. When I hit the first module in cell block 8, it started at 7.83 and within 10 seconds was reading 8.45 with a 1 amp charge. I know rc chargers aren't the most accurate so I tried another one with the same results.

I found 3 modules with fluctuations greater than .30 which I removed. Now the reconditioning begins with the first cycle on a grid charger, followed by a discharge then a few more cycles.

Would also like to clean off old sealant and reapply. What would be a suitable sealant for this?

#1 dpeverhart, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    SFO, roflwaffle and strawbrad like this.
  2. kiwi

kiwi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    a) sealant used there is 3M - useless excersise. do not bother
    b) get one of my High Voltage Battery Analysers + HV Load + HV Charger as a complete testing set and start doing it as a small business :)
    Come to New Zealand for hands-on training if you wish...

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    vacation/writeoff!

4. kiwi

kiwi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    "Lexus" guy from Europe who visited me here recently for training has got not only what he wanted but also two days of guided tour around Auckland and was so excited about the place that he is already planning his next trip here with his family...
    Right now is winter and little bit cold (this night was +10C (50F) but still everything is green and citrus trees in my garden are turning orange already. If you come in August - September - you'd be able to pick up mandarin or tangelo :)
    Surfing is all year round.

I still have plans to make video about proper testing methodology but too busy with building another 20-channel Analyser, new type of portable 5-6 Amp loads and 6Amp chargers, so at this stage video is postponed but hands-on training is available at my Lab or via Skype.

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kiwi. How much does your charger and the complete stuff cost?

Can you ship to Lagos, Nigeria?

SFO likes this.