1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Monitoring HV battery temperature sensors temperatures.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Feri, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've added Enginelink to my gauges and was very interested to watch the temperatures of the 4 sensors monitoring the air temperature of the cooling air over the HV battery. Temperatures here have been hovering around 110 deg F. I noticed that with A/C on and set on recirc the battery intake temperature hovered around 33 deg C and the no 3 sensor was at 36 deg C. when I changed the airflow to external, the intake temp gradually fell to 28 deg C and the No.3 sensor fell to 31 deg C. The A/C was set to Lo and fan was half speed.

To me this demonstrated what I had long assumed, that recirc reduces air flow over the battery as the flow of air through the cabin is hindered. I usually use fresh air when cooling and only used recirc as an experiment.

OzPrius, bisco, GrumpyCabbie and 2 others like this.
  2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the experimentation. Sometimes I drive with all windows down on dry hot days in city. I wonder how this impacts the battery temp. I need to check that.
    BTW, I never use recirc setting. I see no point in breathing stale air. I actually modified the settings and recirc isn't a default anymore when AC is turned on.

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'd be very interested in how you achieved that? Unless outside temps are really crazy i.e. over 100 F I think the air flow over the battery is the most significant thing.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What about driving 30 mph (50 kmh) in the city? What are the temps like doing that on a longer period? You know what I'm getting at here. Get the car warmed up nicely and then drive rush hour for 2 hours and see how the temps are then.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great info, thanks feri! mine defaults to recirc, but after teh cabincools a bit, i switch to fresh. i have to keep my eye on it tho, it switches back every now and then. luckinly, we don't often see temps over 100.:eek:

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

It's possible that there is a design flaw that didn't present itself during design and research. I suspect that GenIII taxis may not be getting enough airflow due to stop start and variability of loads. Possibly many drivers use recirc in extremes of hot or cold, reducing airflow over the battery. Also how often does a large passenger's coat or a hand bag etc. cover the intake for instance?

I don't have access to rush hours like that here so I can't test that effect but I can imagine the continual discharge and recharge would keep batteries hot.

7. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Becoming too frequent here. We are getting apples flowering twice now. Used to be good apple and stone fruit region.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not that often, but in a RHD the passengers would sit on the passenger side. On a LHD that could be a problem as they'd more often block the vent. Also, and similar to Oz here, but most individual male or younger female passengers sit in the front, with individual older women and couples sitting in the back. If the vent was blocked in the back, the battery would sit steady at 7/8 bars for some reason.

No I don't believe cabbies will have recirc on - you want fresh air in your car! Often a/c doesn't work so well in start stop traffic on short journeys as all doors are opened and left open when passengers get in, then the a/c has to work double hard to cool the car on the journey, 2 minutes later they're all getting out with all doors wide open again! Often it's better not to use a/c in town in summer, but just have the windows down. I only used a/c if someone complained their hair was blown around or on a run that I knew would be over 1 mile. Might be different in Australia where it gets HOT.

9. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have found that it also helps to cool the battery when one or more of the dashboard vents are aimed up over my head and towards the right rear door where the battery ventilation intake is located. I usually have at least one vent aimed at the battery air intake during highway driving, and at least two during city or mountain driving in warm weather.

Robert Holt, Feri and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  10. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is number 3 sensor always the highest? I need to know because my Scangauge II will only monitor 4 things at once, so I would like to only dedicate 1 of those slots to the battery temp, and would naturally choose the hottest bank of cells to monitor.
    Would you happen to also know whether the upper inverter coolant loop temp or the lower coolant loop temp would be the best one to monitor?
    Thanks in advance!

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's one of the settings that can be changed by TIS/Techstream software.