1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moon roofs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pisces75, Jan 19, 2004.

1. pisces75

pisces75 New Member

Why doesn't the Prius come with a moon roof or does it? Will it ever come with a moon roof? Will this or can this be an option or part of a standard package?

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not saying it won't happen or won't ever be possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a moon/sun roof. The roof design will make it very tricky to install any kind of moon/sun roof of any significant size without significant customization and probably a significant hit on the Cd.

4. pisces75

pisces75 New Member

I really like the moon roof in the new Scion tC. That would be awesome to see in the Prius.

I wonder if that can be down aftermarket. Toyota sent me to AZ Sun Tops to get my leather installed. They said that they could install a moon roof for about $1200.00. I would like a moon roof but I do not want it to mess up anything in my car. If they make a mistake and it does not close completely or something does not work because of the roof. I could later found that if leaks when it rains or something likes an air pocket that you hear on the freeway. Would it void my warranty if I were to get the moon roof installed?

5. chgoman

chgoman New Member

Since Toyota is going for minimum drag and maximum mileage with the Prius, I'd be surprised if they offered a moon roof. It would add a little weight and drag when closed, and a significant amount of drag when open.

6. cubfan801

cubfan801 New Member

The added weight would be a very good reason not to add the sunroof. But the main reason it will not be available is the channels on the roof that help reach the .26 cod. I can't see this car ever having a sunroof without a major body redesign. Looks like you will have to wait for 2009 Prius