1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moonroof or no moonroof? how do you like yours?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by berkeley, Sep 5, 2012.

1. LS1_Fonzie

LS1_Fonzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've opened it once but I'll open it more during the cooler months. Closed with the ac on for the summer.

2. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think it all depends on where you live. When I was up in NJ/PA I used the moonroof on my tC a lot, especially at night in the warmer months. During the day when I could in the spring/fall. When I moved down to Florida I tried the same thing a few times and the sun is just too strong, I had to close it back up.

When I was shopping for a C I wanted a Blue C3 with moonroof. No dealers in Florida had any (this was a year after the car first came out too), no dealers in the southeast US had one, and one dealer I talked to said none were coming on the next boat. A "rare bird" he called it. He said they could custom order one but it would be 3-4 months. I decided against waiting and just got a Blue C3 without the moonroof.

3. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A moonroof was a must for me. I haven't had a car without one in a looooong time. My husband's leaf doesn't come with the option at all. He's looking at installing a Webasto now.

4. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have one and it wasn't a make or break deal. But totally agree about finding a level 3 or 4 trim without one in Cali takes some effort unless you have one shipped in. I use it about a third of the time; good for hot days, although I raise it vs. sliding it open most of the time...not a fan of the birds and their unrelenting need to fly right over you, or sun in general.

It's also nice to have for those that have their front driver/passenger windows tinted beyond state regulations allowing for light into the cabin to help minimize the darkness, but only on really sunny days and if it's slid open vs. raised open.

5. Ken Scheinker

Ken Scheinker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I went with the high end version, I can't live without a sunroof in Seattle, the car is too claustrophobic for me without one. The rims are really pretty and I hate hunting for hubcaps when they go kaboinging off the road shoulder in the rear view mirror. The heated seats are another plus and the fake leather is more comfortable than fabric. The only bummer is the GPS, it sucks and not accurate for intown driving where I still use my Garmin. Seems ok for just local and highway use though. Just wish they came with a nicer interior like the leather interior in the regualar hi end Prius, very pretty car.

6. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just the MSPR difference between the 2 and the 3 is $1,735, so you're mostly paying for the 3 and not the moonroof. You get some decent features for that extra cash. I got a 3 for the other options, they didn't have a black one with a moonroof, so no idea if I would have gotten it or not given the option.

7. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    No moonroof for me. I don't think it helps the Cd and it lower the head room. It's also another thing to forget/break.

8. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a regular Prius Four with moonroof/solar package, and I think it's worth the extra cost. All my cars have the moonroofs, which I really like, and the the fans being on during warm sunny weather via solar roof is really nice at keeping the car cooler inside, which I believe could help protect the interior a bit. Also, the moonroof/solar package greatly upgrades the navigation system and adds other nice items as ell. I figure I'll be keeping this Prius 8-10 years and thus the extra $3800 spread out over that time period is not too bad.

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    As far as I'm aware, the solar package is not available on the c. It's just a normal moonroof.

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is correct... we don't get the fans.

11. Graymalkin56

Graymalkin56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I originally didn't want a moonroof, but the dealer really wanted to sell that particular vehicle, so he threw it in for $400. I thought I would feel claustrophobic with the lower headroom but I didn't even notice after the first five minutes. While I haven't actually *used* the moonroof much, I do find the solar-powered cooling fan to be very useful in keeping the car cooler -- it's parked outside in an unshaded spot, so it gets warm on sunny days, even with a CoverCraft windshield cover in place.

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We don't get the fans on the C...sure wish we did though.

PriusC-illa likes this.
  13. Prentiss

Prentiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just got my C a few days ago--the moonroof on "tilt" opens only about an inch, maybe 1.5. is this the norm?

14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    It's not super clear in this video, but it doesn't look like it opens far. The tilt feature is covered from around 0:36:

15. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would NEVER buy a car with out a sun/moon roof..............:cool:

16. Prentiss

Prentiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is my first car with factory-installed moonroof--it was a MUST-HAVE this round of car purchase. thanks for the vid--i'm attending a new owner's class this week, maybe i'll conduct a survey there regarding tilt space. it just seems kind of wimpy, considering the amount of accordion material in the area of the roof.

17. cyeremian

cyeremian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Moonroof. Didn't really want one but dealer offered a 2013 with moonroof cheaper than another dealer with non moonroof on 2012. Love the moonroof so far.

18. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  19. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wanted the sunroof/moonroof so bad I traded in my first C after about a month a bought a new one with the roof. No kidding.

Leason learned: accept the fact that I need a sunroof/moonroof and next time around don't try to "make do" with a car without one.

Prentiss likes this.
  20. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agree with you....I really enjoy having a moonroof, plus having the solar and upgraded Nav is worth it.