1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

more aerodynamic = more rocks hitting windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by starla30, Apr 26, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    geeus Jim S... you comparing the car with one of the lowest drag coefficients with a semi??

according to one place i talked to, (i just had windshields repaired on my Ford and Toyota Pickups) the angle of the rock path and the TEMPERATURE are the two biggest determining factors.

also, he said most rocks that crack windshields are hitting the windshield with more than normal force since the rock was most likely thrown backwards from a vehicle in front of you. and the aerodynamics will cause a rock that is travelling at you on an angle to defect somewhat, but will do nothing to a rock that is travelling right at you.

he also thinks that glass is thinner these days but at the same time, he says that most cracks can be fixed , even very large ones. I had a crack that spidered a bit that was about 18 inches long and he fixed it without replacing the glass. and the crack had been there for years. i wasnt planning on having it fixed, but he saw it when he was fixing the Toyotas windshield (it had to be replaced because of the position of the crack. its crack wasnt even half as extensive as the Ford's)

he also said the Prius because of its shape should be somewhat less of a target as the air flow would hit the front of the car and deflect over the car. the air flow when it hits the front of the car changes direction, and it would then run parallel to the glass reducing the force on it resulting in the low drag coefficient. this made sense to me.

in other cars where there is an angle change at the windshield, i can see that place as being an additional point of drag and consequently would be target for heavier objects that dont follow the air flow pattern over the car.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks, Dave -- that's great information.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you are very welcome...

faith is kinda strange. the only reason the glass guy and i even talked about the windshields and stuff was because the guy just went bonkers over my Prius.

you should have seen his face when i was demo'ing the SE/SS feature.

as much publicity as the Prius has gotten in my mind, there are several people out there that have no clue as to what the Prius is all about. this guy had just barely heard about them, he couldnt remember seeing one before mine, and had several false ideas of what hybrids were all about. and this guy's job is working on cars so he sees new ones all the time.