1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More alternative energy

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by etyler88, Sep 4, 2007.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw this one earlier today, but was too lazy to post it. This idea has definite merit.

Tom

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool. Safety is a the biggest thing. I can see these posing a considerable risk to aviation, but that can be mitigated pretty easily, I would think. The production factor would be vastly superior to current wind technologies, which would be a real plus.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Sep 4 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]506919[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. That's interesting. Why not house our star wars technology on these platforms too? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

This kind of thinking outside the normal box is what will eventually lead us in new directions. Bravo to the creators.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    tee hee..... what happens when the next arriving solar flare occurs?

If these are situated over my house, I bid thee a farewell.

OK, enough drama. Great idea and no dead birds/bats. Migrating birds would even be safe due to the elevation of these.

7. jweale

jweale Junior Member

Strictly as power generators I do not see how they can possibly compete with ground installations, at least not until we run out of optimal locations. Airframes are just not cheap to build or maintain. But there is definately an opportunity for a big synergistic play with celluar phone providers in metropolitan areas (tower sites are pricy and prone to NIMBY attack). There may be a niche or two this can nicely slot into.

While I'm not holding my breath that these can be done economically, sooner or later one of these longshots should pan out.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jweale @ Sep 5 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]507425[/snapback]</div>
    Airframes are expensive, but the cost is offset by far better wind conditions. Whether the gains are worth the costs is an open issue.

I like your idea about cell phones and other tower based services. There wouldn't be any trouble getting power to the transmitters. :D

Tom

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Would never work for Cell Phones, because the Cell would be too big, and the rights to it too expensive for how many people can use it at one time. That goes against the whole idea of Cel Phone, as there would be no real Cell. Remember Iridium? Its now profitable, but only after the whole network was bought for pennies on the dollar.

But there are plenty of services that need this kinda of coverage. Broadcasting, Paging, 2-way Radio, Rural Wireless Internet Access (socalled WIP's), Ham Radio, others for sure.

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 5 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]507629[/snapback]</div>
    This depends on the location. In a big city, like where you live, it wouldn't work. In the badlands out west it would work fine. The lack of people in these areas makes normal cellphone service uneconomical, but something like this could cover a very large area with low user density.

Tom