1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Blink charge stations than Chargepoint

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have no access to charging at my apartment building. I surveyed my area and found more blink stations than chargepoint. After calling chargepoint they told me that I cannot use chargepoint card at blink.

So what others are doing? Are you guys creating separate accounts for each charging service like Chargepoint, eVO, Blink, plugshare and so on.

2. ShayGoes2Work

ShayGoes2Work Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm using free plugs, or just biting the bullet and buying gas. Used a Blink in Nashville and it was $5 for a full charge, or 30 miles...I can get 2 gallons of gas, or 100 miles for the price of 30 mile charge.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably cheaper to force charge if you want ev driving.

4. Dm84

Dm84 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pay per use charging stations generally aren't cost effective with a car like the Prius Prime.

5. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am liking the EV driving mode of Prime more than the gas driving. It seems that Prime is very responsive in EV mode. Unfortunately in NJ, people are not in love with Prius, as all the gas guzzlers seems to be flying off the stop light, while Prius takes it's time in gas mode. In the past few days, I have seen many folks cutting me in front in rage, just to prove the point. There have been road rage shootings here. Force charge is an option, which I will try.

6. Dm84

Dm84 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If people are cutting you off now, force charge is not going to help the situation at all IMO.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They tend to charge based on time connected, since some jurisdictions only allow power companies to charge per kWh. The charger operator sets the rate for a BEV that can charge faster than the Prime.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • I carry Blink and ChargePoint cards with separate accounts. Neither has a maintenance or annual fee.
    • Plugshare is an information sharing system like Gasbuddy that helps you find a charger, not pay for the charge.
    Good luck!
    Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  9. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Found two free charging stations at Whole Foods Market, which is also near a library. I don't intend to spend 2 hrs at a grocery store but a library is a good spot to catch up on newspapers.

I will get a Blink account as well, because in EV mode, prime looks like a different car altogether.

markabele likes this.
  10. Dm84

Dm84 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With the Prime, 9 times out of 10 paying for charging will cost more than the equivalent amount of gas. It's not worth it.

lbligh likes this.
  11. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm.... I am wondering how you are driving your Prime since I am usually the one that leaves everyone behind, even if my Prime is using gas. Just floor it, and others shouldn't have a chance to cut you off unless they're driving a Tesla or a more powerful vehicle. But I find the Prime comparable to any other 4-cylinder car in terms of acceleration.