1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Consumer Reports rants

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CharlesH, Feb 27, 2014.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked at the Prius Plug-in in the current issue of Consumer Reports, which is its annual car issue.

Several "observations":

The 2013 model was given the next to lowest reliability rating (half-black circle), while the 2012 was given the highest rating (solid red circle), and the 2013 was therefore on its "avoid these models" list. What the ....??? :confused: These two models are identical, so how could there be such a difference in their reliability??? Looking at the rating, I would expect to see 2013 models dead on the side of the road, or living in repair garages. When was the last time someone in this forum had a repair issue? Yes, there have been gripes about the nav system in the Base, but the gripes were about its designed features, not that it broke and needed repair. Something is really screwy here.

They gave the PiP a 43 mpg combined rating in HV mode. How does one drive a PiP and only get 43 mpg in HV mode? Like a NASCAR driver on a race track? My wife is lead foot and gets 50+ mpg without charging in combined city and highway driving. And they gave the regular Prius 44 mpg. But everyone here reports the PiP getting 10-15% better mileage in HV mode than the standard Prius, mainly due to the more efficient regeneration. Oh, well...

One of the "lows" stated for the PiP was "not purely electric in EV mode". That would be legitimate gripe if the PiP was an EV. But it is an enhanced hybrid, designed for low emissions and energy efficiency; absolute avoidance of using the ICE was not one of its design objectives, as it was for range-enhanced EVs like the Volt. It uses the ICE when that is the best power source, and the battery when it is the best power source.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Some body with big money is paying the writer of the article or the writer is an uneducated Hybrid technology boner.

vvillovv, Uni and bisco like this.
  3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's due to the low relative sample of 2013 owners responding to the CR surveys.
    If only 2 people respond to the survey and one of them had a mechanical issue- the car has a 50% trouble rate.
    If 100 people responded and 2 had issues, the car has a 2% trouble rate.
    It's all in the numbers...

How many miles did they drive and what was the outside temperature?
    I can get 43 mpg in my PIP on a frigid 18 deg morning for the first few miles when the ICE automatically fires up without me calling for it. Us PIP owners in cold areas know this fact all too well.

Coyotefred likes this.
  4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If they drove 8 miles they would only get about 25 mpg if it was at 18 degrees.

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm prepared to believe that no-one at CR is seriously on the take, as their entire reputation is based on this. No argument with your other possibility, though. :(

6. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreeing. I think the questions with respect to CR are mainly about the validity of their ratings, as opposed to their integrity. Arthur Andersen, a major financial auditing company, simply went out business a few years back when their integrity was compromised in the Enron scandal. Same thing would happen to CR.

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At the same time, they gave the Prius 2014 the Green Car of the Year award, based partly on reliability.

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) Can't remember ever consulting Consumer Report before making a major purchase.

tgpii and mmmodem like this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't think of a reason the 2013 would be different, and even if it was, you'd be under warranty on it.

10. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I tend to think NY Rob has the most likely explanation; lack of sufficient sample size. Since CR makes heavy use of statistics, I would have thought they would be experts in this area and only report their findings given appropriate sample sizes though.

Regarding the low MPG figures... I have always imagined they do their efficiency tests by hiring a Formula 1 driver to race it to the top of Pikes Peak as quickly as possible. I'd never be able to get as poor economy as they list for any vehicle unless it had a fuel leak. Disregard any figure they post regarding fuel economy, but use their comments as a relative measure against other cars they have tested (raced?).

CharlesH likes this.
  11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW- it was 16f here this morning- my first five miles in EV mode got me 43mpg.
    By the time I got to work (total 28 mile drive) I was up to 66mpg.

Just saying....

retired4999 likes this.
  12. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    10 degrees here my 93 miles drive to my shore house, on the Garden State Parkway at 65-68 mph on CC in all HV, got me 53 MPG

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports, is that something new? :p

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Who reads Consumer Reports? They got the "C" wrong, and now the PIP! I would never place much weight on their survey, something does not add up with them.

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    CR states the their number one choice Tesla S (2013) is a used car to avoid. LOL

16. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tesla owners love their cars, so if one is for sale, it may well be problematic. As for CR, I consult them before the car magazines, which are even less objective, and have a proven track record (so to speak) of picking Losers. There should be a concerted effort to get CR to reveal (and then revise) their testing methodology and statistical analysis.

davekro and CaliforniaBear like this.
  17. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I sent this to the Consumer Reports editor.

In the issue on autos you state that when operating the Prius Plug-in in the full EV mode you found that it often "fell" out of the EV mode when accelerating. Yes, I have had the problem as well. I've owned my Prius Plug-in for almost exactly a year and driven it over 8500 miles. About 3500 of those miles were in the full EV mode. The car fell out of the EV mode exactly twice. That is just terrible, once maybe I could live with but twice, that is just unacceptable. Perhaps if you tested the car as a gas-saving plug-in instead of a hot rod you would have found different results.

jdk2 likes this.
  18. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are you sure that they will understand where you intended to be sarcastic? They might consider your letter another reliability complaint. :rolleyes:

19. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As long as English is the primary language of the person who reads the message, the last sentence says it all (y)

20. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a shame that cars get tested as either fetish objects or appliances, with little or nothing in between.

Redpoint5 likes this.