1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Driver Error?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Apr 16, 2010.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just a comment: If we have 'hired' several independent auditors of both the systems and the software as we have, the next thing to do is investigate each incident, Toyota's Tiger teams seem to be doing that, with (one hopes) government oversight. Now we need to give the outside experts time and support so they find the root cause. It would be wonderful for Toyota if there WAS a systems failure, so they would have SOMETHING to fix, and put it behind them. Sadly I do not think they will find one, so it drags on.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever notice how so many people blast through parking lots like
    it was their own personal racetrack? I don't think I need to
    say any more about it.
    _H*

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, this nasa thingy was a stroke of genius, hopefully, the prius doesn't have any critical o-rings in the accelerator train. should be hearing from them any day now. what's the latest?

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NASA's test Prius got rolled into aisle JM-113B of an obscure
    government warehouse, right next to a largish ornate golden box
    with loops for carrying poles and a sign saying "do not open
    until the apocalypse".
    _H*

5. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The issue is who one decides to trust. Everyone in this has self- interest. The drivers are being asked if their accident was caused by SUA by the insurer (so said one of my customers). The drivers don't want their insurance to go up. They may not want to admit that they're too old to drive safely. The attorneys just want to make money (a heck of a lot more than any of the plaintiffs will get). Thomas Kane wants everyone to know how important his paid testimony is (and hoping that everyone will forget the questions about whether he hid his information on the Ford-Firestone tire debacle to pad his clients' cases). Ralph Nader just wants all computers to go away, whether in cars or otherwise (actually he's been complaining about Toyota's labor practices in Japan for several years now). Clarence Ditlow, Ralph Nader's successor at the Center for Auto Safety, and as a member of Consumers' Union's (Consumer Reports) board of directors wants more donations to roll in. Dr. Gilbert has had plenty of time to rebut Paradox and Toyota if he can. Congressman Towns doesn't want everyone to know that he didn't write his own letter to Toyota. Reporters and the media want to sell advertising, and they aren't about to report that Congressman Issa, whose staff watched the Sikes investigation by NHTSA and Toyota, said that the 70,000 documents don't contain any "smoking gun" as claimed by Towns. Mr. Biller just needs some money since the LA District Attorney fired him after 9 weeks last year (Mr. Biller has filed wrongful termination and discrimination charges based on his dyslexia and mental disorders). Heck, I like my car even though its my first non-Detroit car after 8 Detroit cars and don't like to see its reputation beat up.

Toyota doesn't want anyone to find out about some problem with their software. Why? That would be a pretty quick fix and no more expensive than all of the incentives and current recalls). You really think a company with (according to the last report I read) something like $36 billion in cash and 45% of the Japanese auto market is that worried about the legal costs of some lawsuits? If they found a software cause and fixed it, the "diminished value" class action suit would go away. If they found a software cause and fixed it, Toyota stock would likely go up, not down (at least by the time that suit goes to trial). I might add, Toyota has said they can't find evidence that there is an SUA problem caused or not caused by their electronics. Asking them to say otherwise is like the DC Delegate asking Mr. Toyoda to guarantee her that there would never be another recall on her Toyota Camry. When did you stop beating your wife? As to how long it would take to resolve this issue: Consumer Reports Cars Blog: ToyotaTruth.com: Auto electronics bugs are there, but hard to find.
    Given those odds, I think I'm going to worry more about the driver on the cell phone or driving an SUV like a Ferrari (saw a Suburban almost flip this evening).