1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More MFD Drama

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by robertsm, Nov 18, 2022.

1. robertsm

robertsm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently bought an 2009 Prius with ~175K miles. There were a number of things that needed repairs, which I knew about before buying it: brakes, clockspring, 12v battery, and the MFD. The MFD side (mechanical) buttons all work, but the touch screen is unresponsive... except when on the map screen. If I touch the screen on the map screen the crosshairs will move downward, no matter where I touch. Otherwise the screen is receiving power and the display is coming up.

What I have done:
    • Had the MFD serviced by AutoBeYours: The symptoms are exactly the same after I received the MFD back. AutoBeYours told me that they bench tested the unit and also tested it in a Prius. AutoBeYours seems to have a very good reputation, so I don't doubt that they did that testing. They suggested that I replace the 12v battery (which I did with an OEM from dealership). Unfortunately that didn't help.
    • I checked for and found one blown fuses... but that didn't resolve the problem.
    • I checked and reseated the MFD cable connections
    • I tried accessing touch screen calibration but can't get past the initial diagnostic screen because you can't get to the touch screen calibration screen with a non-responsive touch screen.
    • I checked for debris around the touchscreen bezel, and cleaned some minor dust with canned air.
    • I checked for error codes (with OBD2 and phone app), but there are none.
    • I replaced the cabin air filter and didn't see any signs of rodents (which I guess can be an issue)
    • The clockspring was replaced while the MFD was being serviced at AutoBeYours

I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to hunt this down. AutoBeYours says that I can send the unit back and they will re-check and repair if needed, but I want to make sure that I have done everything I can on my end before doing so. I am hoping someone might have a suggestion on what else I can check.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would send it back. I'm pretty sure they'll dig into it. What was the model number of your mfd?

3. robertsm

robertsm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2009 with 7 buttons, so pretty sure it's OEM #: 8611047260C0