1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More on why some people are so stupid

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Feb 18, 2014.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday, I started a thread and focused on it's topic: 1 out of 4 Americans think the Sun revolves around the Earth. What happened? The usual suspects chose to go on a hot topic to get the thread deleted - even after I asked they not go there. :mad:

The irony is the people that got that thread deleted were behaving stupidly themselves. Dozens if not hundreds of times before, they KNOW going deep into topics like evolution is going to close, delete, or move that thread and in the classic definition of insanity they do it anyway! So what is it about those members?
    • They really are stupid
    • Like drug or sex addicts, they can't control themselves
    • They want to kill threads
    • They don't give a damn about other members
    Sorry, I really think those things about the members that consistently hijack and stop threads. Not even discussing the weather is safe, as someone could rant about climate change. :(

I have a suggestion: Why close the swimming pool when it's the same few that decide to pee in it? If a member repeatedly hijacks a thread on a course that's going to kill it, address them inDUHvidually instead of punishing the members that play nice.

hkmb, xpcman, amm0bob and 1 other person like this.
  2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much you can do about it.
    It's an open forum.

Plus really...the "topic" of 1 out of 4 Americans think the sun revolves around the earth....is a statement more than a topic, it kind of invites veering into other avenues.

All threads...almost all threads...take on a life or their own. Start talking about brakes...end up talking about tires.

I know I have been guilty from time to time of being off-topic in a thread. I try not to do it too much. Or at least when I realize I've veered too far off topic, pulling back.

I think the real question is why in "Freds House of Pancakes" , a forum presented as where "free speech is your friend" are some topics inexplicably forbidden? And/Or if a thread is taken too far off course, why individual posts can't be removed instead of the entire thread?

I guess my ultimate feeling is that "good" conversation is alive. If it's "alive" you can't really predict where it's going to go.

In any community, including Prius Chat, my greater concern is why do we say "You can go there" or "You can't go there"?

Maybe I'm a little sore on this topic because recently an entire thread dealing SPECIFICALLY with the recall and the definition of the problem defined in the recall was removed.

I find this censorship more disturbing then the removal of the as you say...100th debate concerning evolution or global warming.

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ Censorship?

Isn't the members that got the thread yesterday doing censorship? ;)

Aren't they?

They full well knew they would kill the thread and asking them not to send the thread over the edge they either ignored or worse became more determined to kill it.

It's really frustrating when nearly any topic I choose can be disposed like that.

It's the hijackers that are the censors...and what's their payoff if their post lasts only a few minutes before it's deleted? Sorry, that seems stupid!

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't read the thread in question, nor am I familiar with what topics they veered into.

Community standards I suppose.

Prius Chat could choose to have nearly none...and any conversation veering into any area could be left to stand. But would that approach "save" your thread? Or simply make it worse?

I understand your frustration if you felt you had a perfectly decent topic that you wish discussed that was removed because certain posters, in your opinion spiraled the thread off into topics that are "known" to lead to deletion.

I would ask why a more "surgical" removal isn't possible? Save the thread for those staying on topic...remove only the threads...with a warning for those veering off....

Like I said, I'm more upset about the original recall thread ( The entire thread) being removed. With as of yet no explanation why...then I am about a Freds House of Pancakes thread that crashes and burns.

6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Few things are pure - this is not an 100% open forum because a few pushed it until it became disruptive.

It's the same as in real life - at some point you cross the line.

Just because you can't say absolutely everything, don't make is sound like PC has become North Korea.

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would work, too.

Wish that was the outcome yesterday.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally, people who like to run on and on about a topic like that fit into that very category. i looked at the thread, and although i'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, i knew nothing good would come out of my fingers if i commented.:cool:

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

True...I probably should of said "mostly open forum".

But it is why I say "Community Standards"....Prius Chat becomes a Cyber Community. So the operators of this cite do apply a level of community standards...I'm okay with that.

Up to recently....I've never had a problem with what Prius Chat decided to delete.

Of course I'm probably not able to pay attention to everything that happens here.

But I'm tired of this discussion.

Let's talk about Adam and Eve's impact on the future of global warming, and the toxic liberal advancement of the hilarious evolution myth.....

(****JUST KIDDING****) IGNORE DO NOT DELETE!

10. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Aww. I thought I made a funny comment in that thread - came back to PC to see a shining "3" next to my Alerts - Someone had replied to my funny post!

I click on it only to see
    "You have no new alerts".

Any screen grabs?

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And I have another related suggestion:
    Since this is a forum to discuss XXX (cars, boats, houses, motorcycles, fish, dogs, etc)
    do not allow discussions of politics or religion to start in the first place.......unless access to
    forums about that is invitation only and screened from the "normal" message searches.

Stuff like that ALWAYS causes hard feelings; ALWAYS.
    And it always spills over into the regular forums too.

Given all of that though, I think you should have KNOWN that your subject would become
    a problem. If NOT, then maybe you should consider that the post itself proves the point
    you were trying to make. :)

ursle likes this.
  12. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there anything I can do to help get you a hobby so you will occupy your time a little better and stop creating pointless threads?

ursle likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a post about poor science education is political or religious? only if one construes it to be.o_O

ursle likes this.
  14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, so here we go.
    You have done it AGAIN.
    Baited other people into posting things that they should not.....and normally would not by referring to something as "stupid".

Are you really too STUPID to see that ??
    SIGH.

15. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Wow Bra... for a newbee that is actually still only a member here in time that can be counted in hours... you come on right out in Fred's and call fellow members stupid...

frodoz737 likes this.
  16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, Easy Rider is new but he has 103 posts in only nine days! Now that's someone with a lot of time to burn.

Chuck. likes this.
  17. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was really hoping for more gifs

18. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was NOT about religion, politics, or similar hot topic, yet some choose to inject it anyway.

No, I'm not going to feel guilty for not accommodating those lacking interpersonal skills.

frodoz737 and amm0bob like this.
  20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of late, I have not been nearly as active here as I used to be, so I missed that whole thread. But, there's a long history here of people posting about topics that clearly have political or religious components, and then complaining loudly when people discuss politics or religion. And then they have the gall to call those people stupid, when the identity of the slow learners is pretty obvious.

I've lost count how many times I've said this over the years, Chuck, but if you don't want to talk about it, and you don't want others to talk about it, then stop bringing it up.

That's not censorship, that's basic common sense.