1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

more questions - charging in rain? topping off? saving EV?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by the_chinadian, Nov 16, 2012.

1. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all,

I have a couple more questions:
    1. RAIN - I don't have a garage. It's raining today. Is it bad to leave the charger out in the rain? Or charge while raining?
    2. TOPPING OFF EV - I love this car! :) I have been "topping off" the battery after every trip. Is that bad? I assume the Prius has a battery management system to preserve the life the the battery as long as possible. Which is sorta related to my other question about whether it's bad to leave the charger in (it's not because power is cutoff per other members). I remember when electronics with lithium ion batteries indicated that to preserve battery life, it's best to let the run all the way down to empty once in awhile. And that constantly charging could be bad for the battery. But I'm guessing the prius has some pretty advanced software managing battery life preservation if they warranty it for 10 years or 150,000 miles...
    3. SAVING EV - my commute is such that it makes sense for me to save the electric driving part for the end of my commute. How do I lock the car into hybrid mode and save the EV juice for the end of my commute?

Cheers,
    Marc

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I charge mine in the rain all the time, had no issues

the_chinadian likes this.
  3. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Refer to page 95 of the Owner's Manual for precautions during rain.
    I believe you are thinking of NiCd batteries. NiMH and lithium ion batteries don't really have memory effects.

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    #1) There's no problem charging in the rain. The system is designed to protect the car and the user from any potential shock hazards. However, I would avoid leaving the EVSE out in the rain when not in use.

#2) Just plug it in when you want to charge. Toyota has a pretty good battery management system in place to make sure that the batteries are kept in good working condition. Keep in mind that when you hit the brakes, you are generating way more current than what the wall plug can do. It's designed to be charged/discharged all the time. Leaving the EVSE plugged into the car is fine as well. When the car is done charging, it'll stop the flow of electricity to make sure the batteries don't get overcharged. I typically come home in the early evening, set the timer in the car to charge around 1am, and plug the EVSE in. It automatically charges the car, and is done by the time I'm ready to leave in the morning.

#3) To save most of your EV miles, just hit the HV button when starting out. You will lose some EV miles due to the fact that when the ICE is warming up, it's in a lower power/load mode, so the battery is used to supplement the power demand. You can get some of those EV miles back, but it's not possible to get them all back. However, I've observed that sometimes when I start out in EV mode, go for a few miles, switch to HV mode, my EV range drops while the ICE is warming up, and then comes back to the point where I hit the HV button. It's inconsistent as to why sometimes I get all the EV miles back, and why I don't.

5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You press the EV/HV mode button and it toggles between the modes.

Mike

6. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess that makes sense. what bothers me about it, is that when a press it 1x an "EV" light comes on, and if I press it again, it goes away. So when there is no "EV" light, that means it's running HV, right? I guess it would be easier for me it there was a "dummy" indicator for doofuses like me ... :oops: But then again, I guess that's the default. I.e. if there is EV juice, then the light is automatically on and defaults to running in EV and I simply need to turn it off to use HV ... Sorry, thinking out loud as I type here ... a little stream of conscious ...

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, no light means HV mode. With the short EV range, an HV light would be on most of the time, so that's probably why they didn't put it in.

8. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Full charge gets me 13.3 EV miles. If I start out of the driveway in HV mode after full charge, 10.5ish EV miles is what I can "save" for EV use later in the trip. I wish there was a "save" setting that partitioned the HV/EV battery charge. Small price to pay for +100mpg...

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why it's safe to charge in the rain:

When the cable is disconnected, there is no AC voltage in the cable. The electronics have a relay which switches off the flow of electricity.

When you connect the cable to the car, a separate 5V signal sends info between the car and charger. And a sensor determines that the cable is fully connected. When you attach the cable to the car, it can take several seconds for the flow of AC power to begin; you'll have removed your hand by this point.

When you disconnect the cable, electricity stops flowing as soon as you press the button on the cable. And if the orange light isn't illuminated on the car, the charge is complete anyway.

10. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plus, you have ground fault protection:D

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota determined that some % of the ev should be used up in hv. not sure why, but would love to know the reasoning.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True, but I think that comes into play in extreme conditions, such as a cut cable.

The only potential danger I see is grabbing a soaking wet cable that is attached to the car and charging. Before you push the button on the cable, you could potentially be electrocuted by the wet cable. But I'm fairly certain that if the cable were so wet that water brought an electric charge to the cable surface, it would have shorted out before you'd touched the cable, and the gfci would trip.

13. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you guys rock. thanks for all the responses and info.

I absolutely love this car. :)

14. maureenet

maureenet New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, I can "top off" and just charge an hour a day if that's all the time I have?

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, no problem at all, no damage will be done to the battery.
    If you only have an hour/day to charge... take a look at the 240v charging mod from evseupgrade.com you'll get 2x the amount of charge vs 120v charging in that one hour.

16. Bill Collins

Bill Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I disagree to a point .. I live in North New Jersey and have had an OutDoor Charge Station for about 18 months now and I charge in the rain or it rains during the night while its plugged in never a problem now what i disagree about is that my EVSE cord is outside wrapped around the 240 volt charger been soaked by rain and buried even in snow drifts.. Never had a problem with it and very glad I installed it ...i don't have a garage and its installed in the side of my driveway on a post

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you hit the HV button right away or shortly into your drive it will always use some of the EV. It won't let the battery stay above a certain percentage once the car starts getting driven. If you are below that threshold it will always replenish what is used of the EV during warmup.

I believe it is to protect the ICE. It doesn't want the ICE to be stressed when there is an alternative fuel source of locomotion. It actually happens in the regular Gen3 as well but the warmup cycle is usually at slower speeds so you tend to not notice is as much.

18. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The charger seems to be fairly water-resistant. Be cautious about handling a wet connector. However, chances are slim that you will ever get a shock, due to the GFCI in the charger.

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know a way to lock out the EV mode from coming on automatically whenever you start the car. It may be just as well, because I've noticed that the EV range degrades over time as you drive in HV mode. It seems that they want you to, "always use the EV power when you have it."

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm actually opposed to "topping off." My goal is for the hybrid battery to last as long as possible, therefore I want to minimize fluctuations in charge levels, which are the main cause of electrode degradation, which determines the life of the battery.