1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More torque please

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prashanta, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    One of the major selling points of electric vehicles is that all of their horses are available immediately when the accelerator is pressed. And unlike ICE engines, more powerful motors do not result in (significantly) reduced efficiency. Moreover, stronger motors don't produce more sound or vibrations.

This is primarily the reason for Tesla's success. People looove fast-accelerating vehicles.

My understanding is that you cannot couple a powerful motor with a small battery -- larger the battery, the higher the allowable discharge (power) without impacting the longevity of the battery. But I get the sense that Toyota could have made either MG1 or MG2 way more powerful. For example, going from Gen 1 PiP to Prime, battery size doubled but the combined power of the motors did not double. I believe MG2 is the same as that in the regular Prius which has a < 1 kwh battery.

Why did Toyota choose not to give 10 kw additional power to each of the motors? That would have been sufficient to post 0-60 numbers below the magical threshold of 10 seconds. This alone would have significantly increased Prime's appeal in the eyes of many people. There are many people (falsely) suggesting that the Prime will have a hard time merging onto the highway.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to save money?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Knowing that Prius Prime is targeted squarely at middle-market, it didn't make sense giving it higher than necessary performance. Balance is essential for a high-volume competitive offering.

You want that, you wait for a more powerful offering later.

Remember, Toyota's goal is to phase out traditional vehicles. You don't do that by putting all your eggs in one basket.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your opinion.
    I do not necessarily agree.

None of the Prius line was built with speed racing as a top priority.......and they still sell good.

As for why they ARE the way they are, typically you get to choose between speed and efficiency.
    Toyota chose efficiency.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You want a heavier, less efficient car to 'solve' a problem it does not have?

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is simply a matter of cost. The Prius motor is already powerful enough for EV only operation. Toyota saves a lot of money by using the same unit in the Prime, which shows up in its very affordable price. They did add a clutch to the Prime's transaxle that allows the M/G1's output to be added to propulsion. That is basically adding about 20kW to the M/G2's 53kW. If that somehow isn't enough for a non-sports car, it can fall back to the ICE.

7. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is where my carbon fiber argument comes in. Substantially reduce the weight with much more carbon fiber, and all aspects of the car benefit, from brakes to cooling, with improvements in fuel economy and of course acceleration. The big problem to solve is cost!! I'm afraid the metal lobbies might try very hard to kill the nascent carbon fiber industry. These are certainly exciting times!!

john1701a likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BMW is working on the carbon fiber cost. The future issue is going to be how to recycle it.

9. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We're probably a huge distance away from that today, but you bring up a very good point, especially for the grandkids!!

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just want it to produce the power it already has - the 76kW of the two motor ratings and what the chief engineer said it produces - instead of the ~60kW it produces now.

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yet another theoretical discussion questioning the engineering decisions made in the design of a car.
    Seems that EVERYBODY who has a drivers license thinks he is a mechanical/electrical engineer too.
    It does get rather old.
    There probably are factors that you aren't aware of.......like a reliability margin or heat dissipation considerations.......OR that the battery isn't big enough to support max. power it's capable of......or a combination of that and other things we haven't thought of too.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Efficiency. You can tell that's at the top of the list for Toyota. The Prime was designed to be the most efficient vehicle in both EV and HV mode. (If not, it could've easily given it a larger battery, higher cost and better performance at the expense of more space, heavier weight and lower fuel efficiency).

I've noticed that Toyota has been shrinking and reducing the power of MG2 with each iteration of Prius and supplementing that with a reduction gear to offset the loss in torque and reducing power loss to improve efficiency. The Gen 2 Prius' MG2 had 295lb-ft @0-1,200rpm (with 50kW of power). For Gen 3, power went up to 60 kW but torque dropped to 153 lb-ft with the reduction gear making up for it.

In the case of PiP to Prime, the power of the motors didn't need to be increased as the combined power of MG1 and MG2 are still lower than what the battery would've output anyway. The choice to use a clutch is packaging and cost. They can use the same motors as the Prius on the Prime, helping lower production cost and ultimately the MSRP. I would imagine that MG2's power with the regular Prius is there for both the engine and battery to use.

Lastly, (and the following paragraph is my opinion), Toyota wanted a consistent ownership experience; the car should drive in 10 years/200,000km as it did when it was new. Perhaps artificially (again, my speculation) limiting the performance will ensure the car drives the same. If they allowed faster battery discharge, then as the battery degrades as the car gets older, the performance will deteriorate (it may be slight but it will be there, at least it will perform the same as a worn engine of similar age).

douglasjre, HPrimeAdvanced and Mark57 like this.
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm a power electrical engineer specializing in power electronics and three-phase permanent magnet electric machines.

The chief engineer of this car said in a conference that the car would put out 76kW in Ev mode. I measured it around 60kW average, with a peak of 63kW.

jaqueh and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe it does in Japan or Europe.

15. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In previous versions of Prius, PIP (and all other Toyota hybrid transmissions) MG1 does not contribute to EV mode power driving the wheels, it is only used to balance the torque of the ICE to provide the eCVT operation. In EV mode MG1 rotates such that the ICE remains stationery but it does not deliver any power. MG2 provides all the propulsion.

The Prius Prime is the first implementation with a one-way clutch on the ICE so that during EV mode BOTH motors can drive the front wheels. The combined motor power is increased by about 40-50% over just the one motor.

kevin

#15 kevinwhite, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  16. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think the Prius line appeals to those conscious of the environment and fuel costs.
    They probably dont fit the profile of someone looking for an electric performance car.

For me if the spent research and development costs on how to make it go 0 to 60 faster, and made design tradeoffs to do it, i'd give that negative points.

It needs to accelerate fast enough so as not to be a hazard in traffic, and not much more.

Mark57, NJ-PrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So ???
    What's your point.
    You want them to stop lying......
    OR you want them to make it actually DO what they say .......

Maybe he said that the components were capable of that......and did not bother to say "but the actual torque available has been limited because of (whatever)."

Any chance that your measurements are off a bit ?? No, of course not possible.

18. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What road speeds did you use in your measurements?

According to the SAE paper 2017-01-1151 the sum of MG1 and MG2 powers is indeed 76kW (23+53) however that power will probably be reached only above a certain speed and it is not certain that the two motors can both reach the max power simultaneously. In that paper there is no detailed information about the power vs road speed or motor speed.

kevin

19. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m fine with the amount of power the prime produces but I am disappointed that the torque curve and acceleration times are so vastly different between EV and HV. I do think it’s somewhat of a hazard to merge this car onto a freeway in ev mode.

20. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    You misunderstand me.