1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More torque please

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prashanta, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A 0-60 run and a 30-60 run. It didn't reach full power until about 30, but that fluctuated between about 57kW and about 63kW. I've repeated the test with similar results.

jaqueh likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Make it do what he said it should do.

He was asked how much power it had and he answers that it had 76kW in Ev mode. But it doesn't.

Sure, but not by more than 3%.

jaqueh likes this.
  3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No it's not, and Hv isn't much better and it is a little less responsive.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Lee Jay has done tests and I think there's a video somewhere. But sure, doesn't hurt to have multiple tests (just be safe!)

Well like a regular Prius, if it comes on, it's going to favour the battery and engine output will be minimal as it warms up; that is unless you "giv'er" and force the engine to rev up. It functions like the Prius always does.

Prodigyplace and jaqueh like this.
  5. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You’ve gotten peak 85hp in ev mode and the engine is rated at 121hp. So that’s nearly 30% worse in ev than hv mode at its peak.

But I’m not saying that the ev mode is less responsive. Perceptively, ev mode seems faster with instant torque, but really loses it once you go past 50mph.

6. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ok now i get it

my target speed is 55 plus or minus to merge. in my commute there is no need to speed. Theres a couple choke points. no need to get to them faster

now i also will be driving on the DC beltway. that will be the test. theres hardly any ramp lenght there to accelerate. but my 07 prius did fine there so the question is will i be switching out of eco ev mode for that on the prime.

7. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If your merge speed is 55 you’re fine in ev mode. I like to merge at 70 mph.

8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I always use Power EV mode, now for all my driving; I haven't noticed any loss in fuel economy unless I gun it. With this setup I easily reach my 80mph merge speed as needed. I can then slow down if traffic permits. I'm currently averaging 34 miles running straight EV, with no A/C, weather permitting, driving about 70% surface streets.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK......and how would you characterize someone who clams to know the motivation of every other person in the world ??

I am sorry that I felt the need to tack that unnecessary insult on the end.

My bad.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My C insists on warming up the engine first thing in the morning even if I'm creeping along in EV.
    I think other models do that too.
    Does the Prime NOT do that ?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 4 doesn't. And I'm sure the Prime doesn't. Of course all bets are off if it's near or below freezing or the front defroster is activated.

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't you find that rather odd......especially for the "normal hybrid" Gen 4 ??

Seems to me like that would pretty much ensure that the first time the engine is called on for power, it will be stone cold.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No different than a gasoline car where you start it and then gun it from your parking spot.

I prefer this set up cause it means you can move your Gen 4 at low speeds without having to use EV Mode. (e.g. in and out of the garage).

The Gen 4, under normal operation, relies more on the electric motors and battery so as long as you're accelerating normally, the engine won't be stressed when you first call upon the engine.

Also there are active grille shutters and exhaust heat recovery system that can help warm the engine up quicker once it's fired up.

14. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At least in my very early build Gen 4, it will start the engine (and avoid revving it up for the first half mile or so, in my experience) after a cold start as soon as you hit 20 mph, even if the engine isn't needed to satisfy the acceleration or HVAC demands.

Now, on a warm start, it won't, but...

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That makes more sense to me.

Especially since NOT doing that would seem to be in direct conflict with their earlier designs.

And if they let the engine remain cold, then they would presumably have to severely limit it's torque/speed for the first few seconds of operation........and that would CERTAINLY generate a TON of owner complaints about a lag in acceleration.

16. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It depends upon a number of things. It always starts the ICE within a few seconds (same as earlier generations) if the block temperature is lower than some temperature that is around 20C.

It will also start the engine immediately if engine heat is called for by the ventilation settings.

The engine will also start if the road speed gets up to about 20mph - even if no significant power is called for.

My house is on a hill and usually the ICE does not start if set off down the hill and I have the A/C off. It will start when I get to 18 or 19mph.

The engine will begin intermittent operation (stop when not not needed) when the block reaches 40C.

kevin

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  17. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is worth noting if I command full acceleration on my Gen 4, it'll give me full acceleration even on a cold engine. So, EV Auto may do that on a Prime, too.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you have EV charge and are in EV mode, it never turns on the engine till you run out of EV charge.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, Prime doesn't.

PHV didn't either.

20. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, I wouldn't have bought a Prime if it were less efficient, I would have bought a Volt. Efficiency (and I count that mainly as time between gas station visits) is the very most important thing. The safety features are secondary, but one of the reasons I like what I have. Other than the wavy back window, I actually like the way it looks too, but as long as it isn't like one of the shoe box cars, that's not important.

Prashanta likes this.