1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Volt misleading info

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by jtmhog, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Today's Wash Post had an AP article on GM's plant closing and shift to small cars. Concerning the Volt the article stated:
    The volt is a plug-in electric car (it's not--it's a PHEV)
    The car will get 150 MPG
    It's no wonder that the newspapers are going out of business. Just the fact and not GM BS.
    The article said GM may sell the Hummer division--to whom? They have sold 13,274 so far this year.
    Chrysler new Challenger with a 425 HP engine is due to come out this year. Gm may not be the dumbest American car company; however, the new Camaro wil have 400

2. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually, given the brand identity and name recognition, Hummer may be the ONLY division GM could sell. Remember Chrysler has had 2 buyers, so anything is possible.

3. Prius driver

Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Probably the most misleading part of the article is this

"The Volt, with an initial production run of 10,000, is expected to hit showrooms in 2010. After that, GM plans to build tens of thousands per year."

I find that hard to believe.

The Chinese may be interested in the Hummer since their gas is subsidized and remains around $1.50/ gal. Or one of the middle eastern countries so they can decrease the oil supply even more.

CNN/Money: Gas prices around the world

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know for a fact that Taiwan's gas price is NOT $2.48.
    It is close to $4.2 after recent hike from $3.70 a few weeks ago.
    Don't trust all data you read. I am not sure the data of China is correct, either.

exchange rate is $30.35 NTD/USD

--- quote from source ---
    The price of unleaded gasoline will rise to 33.9 Taiwan dollars (1.11 US) per litre from 30 dollars. The price of diesel fuel jumps to 31.9 dollars per litre from 27.5 dollars.

5. Prius driver

Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This seems contradictory. Are you trusting the data you read? How do you know for a fact Taiwan's gas price is NOT $2.48. Have you been in Taiwan recently?

Prius chat has some of the most opinionated members I have ever seen on any forum. If I started a thread about the sky being blue others would jump in to argue another point straight way emphasizing their disagreements in ALL CAPS.

You could be right and maybe my data is erroneous. However, should you really trust your data after making a comment on not trusting data?

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Prius driver:
    Prove me wrong about my data on Taiwan's gas price.
    If I saw one data is wrong in the table, I basically distrust the rest of data. How about you?
    You want me to cite my source. It is from recent Yahoo news.
    Try "Taiwan gas price" in google. You will see it. Make your own judgment.

Whether I have been to Taiwan is unrelated.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't see it that way. YOU SHOULD MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND STAY OUT OF TREADS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

:D

Tom

8. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the cool lemons to lemonade trick would be to convert Hummer (brand/dealers) to GM's main Hybrid/green/EV dealerships. That is, have it be the Hummer Volt.

Turn that ship around. They only have what two vehicles? Replacing those with two or more all-EV or hybrids would not be that hard and at least salvage the dealerships.

Just re-equate Hummer with efficient. Electric motors HUM, right?

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am sure that the new Camaro and Challenger will have a waiting list for 1 year and then disappear like what happened with the Ford Thunderbird.
    No matter what I still hope GM can get their acts together and produce Volt on schedule.
    Competition is good for everyone even if one does not buy GM products.

10. Prius driver

Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :p

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

To both of you, Prius Driver is referring to mainland China where gas is subsidized and kept at 70 something cents a litre.

Ceric is talking about Taiwan and has nothing to do with subsidies from the Chinese gov't.

Are we clear on that? It's funny to see both of you go at each other (We seem to have a lot of those nowadays on PC). You're both right but for some reason needed to prove the other wrong :suspicious:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So lets see, 3.78 litres per US gallon and 4.54 litres per Imperial gallon. At 70 cents a litre, $2.65 a US gallon or $3.18 an Imperial gallon. Hardly cheap

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheaper than ours lol. Shows you how much of the fuel is taxed

14. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And much cheaper than what we pay in Australia.:( Saw the price this morning as I drove past a gas station - $1.69 per litre.

And the Prius and the HCHII are still the only hybrids available, although the government is trying to convince Toyota to build a hybrid Camry here.

15. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Luxury! Here we have to make our own petrol by squeezing old Holdens and Fords and mopping up the oil on the roads after it rains...:D

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or subsidized. U.S. Federal tax is 18.4 cents/gallon, average state tax is 28 cents/gallon. We're probably closest to actual market value of any country. Anybody see the price of gas in Kuwait or Venezuela lately?

Hint: do a Google search and get numbers, not just hurl insults. Unless you're the one being attacked, most of us think of PC as being quite polite for the most part (outside of FHOP).
    This is a good example. It also has mainland China ($.66/liter) but not Taiwan(?), U.S. comes in at #102. Australia is #82, squeezing old Pintos must work pretty good, NZ is currently #99.

17. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a lot of trouble reading that table (because the figures for NZ didn't match what I could see at the pump today). Then I realised that the figures were not prices per litre, but the ratio of the price of petrol in each state to the average world price. Thus the price in China is not $.66 per l, but 66% of the world average.

Petrol here is $2.00 per litre, or $1.58 USD per litre, or $6 USD a gal.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh yeah? Well, when I was a kid we had to pulverize coal into dust with our bare feet to put in our gas tanks, and then since cars wouldn't run on coal dust we had to carry our cars to school, walking on our bare feet, bruised and raw from stomping on lumps of coal! So there!

19. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are aware that there are significant costs for securing our oil supplies that are not reflected in the price at the pump, right? Add those costs in and the price for a gallon would roughly double. So I wouldn't say we are close to market value.

20. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Sky's Not Blue, It Just Appears That Way, Get Your Head Out Of The Clouds. :eek: