1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morimoto Quik Retro

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by slowpriusj, Jan 30, 2015.

1. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

So I wanted to give a short write up on what I thought of the kit. I will say this, if you are like me and prefer the true HID projector,cutoff, and output I would recommend you skip the PNP kit and go straight for this! HOWEVER, if you just like to have blue lights and don't care as much of what I mentioned please get the PNP kit!

Uninstalling Bumper/Baking Headlights
    Uninstall was very easy and kind of fun! Why fun you ask? Well the Prius bumper is very easy to take off and headlights pop out with minimal force. You do not have to remove the entire bumper, just the sides you will be working on! Once you have headlights out, you can start by taking all 9 bolts out to get ready to bake open. Once you have baked them you can start to pry them apart and with a lot of cursing/fighting the glue will start to give. You may have to bake 2-3 more times depending on how hard the glue is.

Retro
    Once you take out the old projectors, first thing you will notice is the size differences between the Morimoto and Koito. The Morimoto is smaller in size which threw me off since I was expecting them to be the same size. The install of the Morimoto was probably moderately challenging since you have to remember how to put everything back together, I started my retro w/o my pkg arriving so my car sat torn down for awhile, I know impatient! So all you have to do is bolt the Morimoto's back into the housing WITH THE OEM BOLTS holding the Koito's. Once that is done you can start putting the headlights back together and that's pretty much it.

Putting Headlights back together/On Car

Hardest part for me was putting headlights back together, since the glue was so stuck on it. It took me almost a half hour getting one headlight to stick back together properly. I will say, buy the glue they offer and USE IT!!! Because I had so much glue still stuck on the headlight, I didn't use as much of the new glue assuming it was enough and it was already hard to squeeze it all back together! I do have condensation in one of my headlights that I will fix once I have some down time. Putting everything back together will be easy and just as exciting!!!

Overall/Rating

I love the kit, it is absolutely what I expected. The cutoff is sharp, the spread is even/wide, and I have bi-xenon! I would rate this kit a 8/10. To make this a 10/10 TRS needs to work on the mounting plates, someone complained about this in another thread couple years back. the projector sits slightly too high and not flush in the housing. THIS DOES NOT EFFECT performance, just would like them to adjust slightly and also if you have to change your headlight bulbs You will have to remove the bumper with this kit! Not enough room to get Bulbs out because of how they sit in projector bowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPhone quality FTW
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 slowpriusj, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i'm sold! I've been wanting to do this since last year. I've done retro fits, before on a few other cars. I feelthe H11 housing is fair enough. I'm even running the Morimoto HID kit. I guess I'll have to do this after deployment.

3. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's worth it if you really want maximum output, I wish I could compare with someone local to see how much output the stock projectors put out with HID

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  4. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm big on retro fits. I've done 3 so far. 2 for my Subaru and 1 for my Mitsubishi.

I'm real big into maximum output. I love bright lights. Haha!

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another significant difference between PnP and retrofitting true HID projectors, is the glare the oem projectors have from the "squirrel finder" cutouts in the cutoff shields.

Note the clean cutoff in the OP's image below:

[​IMG]

The oem projector with a PnP HID kit would have square/rectangular light patterns above the cutoff directly in front of each light/lens from the "squirrel finder" cutouts.

[​IMG]

These cutouts in the oem cutoff shields allow light to be projected above the cutoffs which is intended to illuminate overhead signs and approaching roadside signs as you drive, but manifests as glare to approaching motorists in a PnP HID setup.

slowpriusj likes this.
  6. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the write up! I've been contemplating getting this kit and think I will get it at some point. Was there any cutting needed to be done to get the projector in? I've looked up about every thread imaginable for this kit and remember someone mentioning that the mounting plate being off and a little cutting was in order. I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

7. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea this will be a walk in the park for you then, all you do is unbolt! I prefer to get as much width and intensity as I can also!

Thanks xliderider for that comparison. I will say that the stock projectors do a good enough job for a PNP kit but the hazy light on the bottom
    is questionable for total spread. Those cutouts could be covered up if someone decided to black there headlights out and do it then, whos up for it???:cool:

No cutting what so ever, the off centered projector is just being anal! The performance is not effected and honestly when you see the cutoff and output all the work will be well worth it! I will post everything I bought with the kit and the tools I used above with the write up!

#7 slowpriusj, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  8. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the stock projectors are good enough but definitely could be improved. So it's basically it's a "bolt on" Kit? Fine with me. I want to get the clear reflectors.

9. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree, stock projectors with HID will be better than the halogens but other than that they won't touch the output of the Morimoto's, my wife's Acura MDX can't beat the Morimoto on output! Do you mean clear lens??? I would like to see someone modify the stock projector to see if they can be hacked for more output...

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the squirrel finder cutout tabs on the oem projectors can be bent shut and commonly sealed with JB Weld. But to do that, you need to bake open the housings. Might as well do a retrofit.

TRS sells the clear projector lenses that are upgrades to the oem lenses.

#10 xliderider, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Dylan Doxey likes this.
  11. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If one has to baked open the headlight, you might as well just do the retrofit fit. IMO if you want to do a lens, that is a waste of time. I can't see the optics being much improved. I know a clear lens would help, but TRS looks like the quik-retro is really easy to install.

12. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ Agreed, if you bake them open do the retro! I was thinking of maybe using a different bowl since the projector on the Prius is sufficient enough. It will probably be 2x harder than adding PNP HID kit.

13. Zzzt

Zzzt 2004 Salsa Red w/185,000 mi - now driven by my son

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just curious - where did you put the ballasts and how did you fasten them? ScotchLoks? How about the relays? Where did you mount them?

14. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually just wedged them into really tight crevices. It's been over a month and they are still snugged. I have to say I am, probably going to mount them under

15. Bmidd

Bmidd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  16. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Price was my reason of going with the retro-quik over the RX350's. It looks like the projectors come out to be $460 from TRS with the STi-R lens. If that doesn't matter to you then I'd say go for it! The only thing I'm not happy about is that one of my projector's shield sticks when the high beams are activated. The shield doesn't retract all the way leaving the cutoff looking ugly and shoots straight into the ground. There's apparently a fix to fix the spring, but I don't want to take my headlight apart again. I fixed the shield by making a hook out of a hanger and then pulling the shield back into place. I also disabled the projector high beams so now I just have the halogen high beams. Works for me.

slowpriusj likes this.
  17. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Didn't even see that. But that's already to expensive. The projectors alone are $200.

The quik retro I got was projectors, bulbs(+$40) and mounts.

The one your getting seems seems nice. But I just don't need it. The H1s are already performer over the stocks. And I get bi-xenons.

With the link you get:
    Projectors - $200
    Lens - $30
    "Tune" $100
    Plus you need bulbs and ballasts...
    It's a good deal, but I don't have the money for that. I'm a sucker for bright lights. Maybe one day I'll do that, but I'm fine with the "cheaper" kit.

iPhone ?

slowpriusj likes this.
  18. Bmidd

Bmidd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't get the tune, it's such an improvement over stock that I can't see spending the money for it. I have plenty of bulbs and ballasts sitting around, so it will just be the cost of projectors,lens and amp to D2S adapters. Might do it in Feb, I'll post output pics if I do.

iPhone ?

slowpriusj likes this.
  19. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    slowpriusj likes this.
  20. slowpriusj

slowpriusj Active Member

Vehicle: