1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning death rattle video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acarapella, Nov 27, 2022.

1. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all!

I threw this video together to address the morning death rattle in gen 2. It’s an overview.

hopefully it helps! I have an older one for gen3 obviously very different. Reach out if you want to see it or search the channel. It’s got like 28,000 views. So shouldn’t be hard to find

don’t forget to subscribe :)

Drew :)

2. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In case you want to see it, here is the gen 3 video

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is rare on a 2.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Water stutter.

5. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Common enough! 20-30 of these pass through my hands per year. It will help someone

bisco likes this.
  6. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Absolutely not water shudder. Did you watch the video?

Kasra likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't watch, what is the take away?

8. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MANY prius specific and generic engine info. Watch.

Kasra likes this.
  9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So at about 2 minutes in you're saying this very common cold start rattle with all Atkinson engines is actually the transmission dampener even though you didn't use the word dampener? Can you please clarify which part number/name you're referring to that you claim this problem is caused by? Having a hard time understanding what you're saying because all the links on here related to these symptoms is related to intake manifold issues with Atkinson engine on cold start. Where's the proof that what you're saying is not what we've always thought it to be?

10. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I walk through the entire process of diagnosing the problem vehicle and it was the fuel injector in cylinder 1

dozens if not hundred(s) of prius have passed through my hands so I was trying to share what I have been through and learned

the “spring loaded plate” IS what makes the noise when the engine misfires, regardless of why it misfires

I get the impression this video isn’t well received here and that’s fine, I’d gladly delete this thread but I cannot, perhaps an admin is able?

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't know did somebody say something bad about the video it's nothing wrong with the video it's a video it's documenting whatever you aim the camera at. And I agree it's usually the torque plate that's making all the racket because the springs are just going crazy like they would do on your clutch disc if the car was a manual and would just be barking those things back and forth like nothing matter of fact I've seen the springs come out of a clutch pressure plate and be bouncing around in the bellhousing scoring up the disc and the plate friction surfaces ruining them

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Why not If it's because the cylinder is getting flooded with gasoline or water it causes the stutter and then the flexplate or torque plate starts bouncing around because it's missing it's not firing smoothly so I just called it water stutter which is what it is in the Gen 3 especially Gen 2 this is quite not a thing for the most part but I'll leave that alone I've owned quite a few 1 NZ in ice and hybrid . That make a rally version of this engine . Like several of the other models I used to drive in the early '80s some of their series of engines had group b rally engines based on their designs for use in motorsports .

13. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, no I don’t mean anybody said something bad about it, it’s just that it seems everyone here thinks it is moisture in the intake. I am aware of that issue from Way, way back, but I have never come across one with that problem. This video is about diagnosing something deeper, and it covers the possible causes related to mechanical/electrical issues, not the moisture in the intake, I don’t want to mislead people or anything, nor do I want to defend the purpose of the video, all I meant is that if its not helpful, deleting it is fine with me

14. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you go into the part of the video where I talk about the damper plate making the sound, I do thoroughly explain that the problem with the car is a misfire, but it manifests itself as a knocking sound because of the damper plate, I believe I also say somewhere in there that the same engine in a Yaris or Scion XA wouldn’t make that sound when it misfired because it doesn’t have the damper plate, I may have edited part of that out, but I’m sure if you watch the video from beginning to end, you will see that it is explained pretty well

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Perhaps it's not the video itself, but the way it's presented?

My first impression of the OP:
    Watch my video, watch my video, watch my video? It has 28k views, watch my video.
    It turned me off.....but maybe it wouldn't have if you had given a bit more info about what it contains prior to that...
    maybe people just getting tired of everyone in the world wanting views and clicks....

16. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Points taken, but again, the post was about the new video. I found it to be a bit of a breakthrough for myself. It was not an easy diagnosis, and the video does explain where that sound comes from. People in this group are obviously pretty educated about these cars, but even so, many don’t realize it’s not the engine itself making that noise.

The second video, the one with 27/28,000 views has those views for a reason, it contains a “trick” to isolate EGR versus head gasket. In a matter of minutes.

A third time I will say, I am totally fine with it if this entire post gets deleted. I kindly ask if it doesn’t get deleted, watch the video before commenting, as this is really no other reason to comment other than about whether or not I should’ve posted it in the first place - which kindly can be left unsaid (similar to if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all?) Just trying to be helpful

17. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ps: wasting views and clicks is a bit harsh and a bit inappropriate for this situation. This isn’t a video of a puppy waving at the camera, or some Scotty Kilmer video on why Toyota is going out of business in six months or whatever, both videos provide tangible information, and the one with 27/28,000 views has over 100 comments, most “thank you”s for the help. I’m not trying to float my own boat by any means, but the entire purpose of my YouTube videos is to help people. I came here to share experience that I thought was helpful for the community.

a fourth time: I’m fine with the entire thread being deleted

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although I've only run into this knock 4 or 5 times on the Gen 2, it's also had a flashing CEL every time, which is triggered only when detecting a serious misfire. So far, for me, each has been just a failed plug. Too many counterfeits running around nowadays.

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Misfiring can be caused by quite a few things unfortunately in the Gen 3 open deck engined Prius it seems to be more of a problem and it's usually not an injector it's usually a head gasket is failed and you're getting water stutter and until you fix that water coming into your bore and trying to extinguish the fire . You will stutter away till the end of this engine. So then you're saying it's not water stutter Great so instead in this particular instance of the video I think I was watching you're saying it was a bad injector so instead of water stutter now you're getting too much fuel stutter so your injector is leaking or squirting so much fuel to the fire it's actually putting the fire out almost and you get a miss Wella. Personally I know worry about videos too much Make them all you like I can see your video live every so often right here at my shop so I don't do a whole lot of video watching Toyota engines don't require that much video watching they're pretty generally fairly well made and easy to work on it's these open deck designs that have made many of these things throw away like the first series when they started pushing these in the Camry what was that '04 UC 04 to '09 Camrys and mint condition needing engines replaced and/or transmissions for very similar problems as the ZZ engine has. Oh well that's just how things go. So now for the 2ZZ I have relegated that engine and system for only women driving going back and forth to work. The Gen 2 1NZ does everything else because it doesn't have the problems that the garage Queen threes have. Now maybe they've straightened this out since 16 up don't know Don't really care because I don't spend money on cars when I buy a 16 I'll buy it for about $3,000 and at that time we'll see if they've got the problem fixed or I'll see right here on this list as they start failing.

20. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it is much, much less common on generation two.

This wasn’t extreme enough to trip an engine light at the point it was at, but it did show up in the misfire counter.

Yes, most generation three morning death knocks are in fact the head gasket, the purpose of my generation three video is for people that aren’t visually losing coolant to quickly see if it is the EGR, not sure if you watch the video, but it does a good job at that.

I love the generation three, it was my choice, out of six or seven I had at the time, to bang out a 2000 mile Georgia and back trip and only 38 hours. I was very comfortable and I love that car. Maybe even more than a generation for . If I owned a generation three, once it threw its head gasket, I would put in a 2016 engine. A dear friend of mine who bought a Prius for his landscaping/plow business (for his floating worker that doesn’t need a truck) finally just got to the point where the head gasket is shot. he is likely going to do a 2016 motor or JDM.

I would still rather have a prius and put a motor in it than own any other car and not have the expense