1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning TV on my MFD during commute to work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chrisspaulding, May 30, 2008.

1. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Too risky....there are a reason for those laws, sorry if they interfere with your driving amusement.

2. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Classic, just classic.

3. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ohh, good thing you informed me. I HAD NO IDEA!

Hey, BTW, I'm trying to start my car. Is that what the dash button [power] is for?
    Also, since your being so helpful, I need to increase the psi in my tires. when I go to gas station do I use the nozzle that says water or air?

4. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. That's a cool solution! I'm calling them Monday to inquire further.

Here's another, although WAY expensive solution

[​IMG]

KVH Industries Tracvision A7 Digital Satellite system

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just remember that if you go with an analog only tuner it will be obsolete very soon! I would suggest that you find something that can do both analog and digital broadcast TV. I went with a WinTV-HVR-950 for my car computer to take care of the analog to digital switchover.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, and now they are also watching TV. :(

Let's just hope that WHEN Mr. TV crashes, he only kills himself. :thumb:

... Brad

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suggest Sirius "Backseat TV" -SIRIUS Satellite Radio - SIRIUS Backseat TV

It only shows Disney, Nickleodeon, and Cartoon Network, but given that the OP is from Kentucky, the third least-educated state in the union, I'd say it's content is probably sufficient...perhaps even stimulating.

9. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    very cleverly stated PE. I feel the same!

Luckily, I was born in CA, raised in OR, and dreadfully only recently a transplant to the middle of nowhere(sorry native Kentuckians), otherwise I'd be worried!

At least you offered a solution before going off on your tangent. Better than most replies. :)

10. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I still (seriously) don't understand why all you haters think that TV video on the MFD is any worse than consumption/mileage/climate video on the MFD.

This isn't popcorn while watching Lost TV, it's more like GPS directions on your MFD TV... hint, hint...
    EXACTLY THE FKG SAME AS YOU NON OBJECTIVE HATERS ARE ALREADY DOING [imo]

11. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "We already do dangerous things while driving, so let's add more dangerous things!"

It's a pretty big step to go from glancing at energy consumption to glancing at the morning news. It's a much smaller step to go from the morning news to a football game, or Lost, or 24.

12. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I were to make a generalization(as he did) about the OP of this post, I'd say he's smart and very boring. Time for a new gen of exciting Prii owners (TV or no TV)!

13. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Chris, see http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/47233-where-locate-add-dvd-player.html
    for a link to my DVD install. I didn't see the one with the TV tuner before I bought this one. I still love the USB port and the SD reader. I can take a bunch of pics and watch a slideshow on the MFD screen.

14. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think I'm heading to Blockbuster, renting a movie, putting a bag of popcorn in the back seat microwave, lighting up a doobe, and going for a ride to watch a good flick. Just kidding (about the doobe, haven't done that since college).
    You all sound like my parents (I'm 55 and they are long gone ). If you don't approve, that's fine, but don't hijack the thread with "responsibility lectures". No one here has any reason to believe that Chris is not a responsible, careful driver. Your preaching wouldn't have a positive effect if he wasn't, anyway.
    In FL we have laws against TV, video, etc in the front dash area, but everyday I have to maneuver around drivers who alienate themselves from the reality of driving while talking on their cell phones. Maybe we could pass a law that both hands must be on the steering wheel at all times instead of using one to hold the phone and the other to "gesture".

15. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^haha^ so true...in CA there will be a law that will pass the use of some sort of hands free device for cell phone use while driving, also NO TVs are to be playing in the front seats while the car is in motion...i find the cell phone thing more dangerous than the TV

16. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    isn't this tv thing an option in the japanese prius models???

so maybe instead of lockpick maybe one can order the japanese tv tuner module.

yah ntsc vs the world and the whole shutdown of the analog spectrum in feb 2009, but its an idea

japan also has minidisc and back up assist as options

17. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One of my best friends was killed by a driver who wasn't paying attention to the road. I apologize for my sensitivity to the idea of a driver wanting to watch TV while on the highway.

18. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I have done this, and also was able to interface all the Wii controler functions to the steering wheel controls. I'll post a how to as soon as I get out of the hospital.

19. cmympg

cmympg Who knows? Who cares?

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

Most drivers don't need any more distractions while they are behind the wheel. Personally, I won't talk on a cell phone while I'm driving. If my phone rings, I'll pull over and return the call as soon as I can. Yes, it's inconvenient, but then having an accident is even more inconvenient.

20. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I hope it's a nice large size LCD screen big enough to cover all that usual distraction that you see through the windshield. Or maybe if you installed one of those pull down screens and project your video signal ... :rolleyes: