1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning with Toyota Technical

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ToyotaFleetManager, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is your source for this:
    In contrast, here is my source:
    Newsroom : Toyota Reports January Sales / Toyota

Who claims Toyota had a 16% decrease in January 2010?

I'm curious, your profile shows a 2007 Prius but in a recent posting you mentioned a "BMW 3er" in a potential accident scenario. You still have the 2007 Prius? The 2010 Prius would be a nice upgrade and eliminate the brake pause.

Bob Wilson

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A 2009 Camry 4 cyl has dropped about $2700 in the last month at the average auto auction.

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There was an article that mentioned a 16% sales decline. I can't find it so, I will go with the 12% sales decline.

EDIT: Well, malorn just posted a 15.8% sales decline (see two posts down); so, it would seem that the 16% number is still viable.

I still have the 2007 Touring edition. Had I known that there was going to be blow-back on Toyota used car values, I would have sold the car for $5,000 more than I paid for it back in late 2007, but that is 20/20 hindsight.

It would be even better if Toyota were to fix the brake pause on the 2007 Touring edition.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't read much into January year to year figures. There are many extraordinary items, such as the effects of December incentives, new model introductions, and cars not available because of recalls. Differences in figures may also be whether the decrease is unit based or sales ($) based.

The figures that I have read are more in line with Bob's on a unit basis. The numbers for the first half of 2010 will be much more telling on customers responses to Toyota.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Lost in the toyota numbers due to recall hype was the fact that toyota numbers would have been flat year over year. Toyota sold 98,796 in Jan 2010 and 117,287 in January 2009. A 15.8 % decrease in sales.

6. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well let’s just take a look at that statement and how foolish it is compared to GM.

GM’s most recent failings started in 2008 with gas prices shooting to US$5.00 a gallon. It’s product mix was primarily centered gas guzzuling SUVs and trucks. It completely failed to meet American demand for fuel efficient vehicles. Even after desperate steps such as retuning transmissions for higher highway mileage and massive rebates, and incentives Americans weren’t buying GM products in the numbers that GM required.

Since 2008 General Motors have cost American citizens a total of $66.9 Billion dollars in Federal Bailout money. GM has shuttered 14 plants and 3 warehouses during the past 13 months.

Let’s look at the hypocrisy of GM with imports. Just one example is the engine for the Equinox is imported from China. GM reported sales in January (not the strongest of sales months) of 9513 Equinoxes. Just doing simple math and projecting sales of the Equinox at 140K units for 2010. GM will import 140,000 engines from China. At an estimated cost of $2K per unit. That equates to GM shipping $280,000,000.00 overseas to China. Of course that is just the tip of the iceberg for GM exporting US dollars overseas. The Buick Regal will be completely built in Europe, GM is getting transmissions and other major components from Asia and Europe.

Now let’s look at Toyota. Since 1990 Toyota US has invested US$36.2 Billion as direct investments into the US. This number does not include investments made by its US suppliers and 2 independent distributors into the US economy. Toyota has purchased US$22.3 billion in goods from US manufacturers. It is currently employing over 172,000 Americans.

Marlon, you make a lot of bold statements but only a few are supported by numbers or facts. The fact is that companies like Toyota, Nissan and Honda has tapped into the US market with a product and mix that works for most Americans. GM has successfully failed to match that performance thus losing market share and credence.

Can GM recover? Maybe but it has to stop complaining and envying what others do and try to make a product that Americans like, want and meets their needs. Only GM can be faulted for failing to make products that Americans want and needs.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the record the Equinox engine is made in the US(you must have gotten your hands on some bad toyota propaganda). Lets take your point and explore the math. You attack GM for importing $280,000,000 million worth of engines and then totally discount toyota importing $30,000,000,000 worth of automobiles not including parts and the engines and other components used ot assemble cars in the US?

You knock GM for shuttering 14 plants and 3 warehouses in the last year? How many plants does toyota even have on US soil? How many does it have in Japan? Why does Japan produce almost 2.5 times more vehicles in Japan than it sells in Japan. How much bette would the US economy be if the United States produced 25 million vehicles in a bad year and 38 million in a good year to distribute throughout the world?

So you are blowing toyota's horn because they have invested $36.2 billion in the US? In the automotive world that is chump change over 20 years, $1.8 billion a year. during that same time they have taken hundreds of billions of dollars back to Japan.

On employment toyota employs less than $40,000, the vast majority of the rest are employed at dealers and would have ajob no matter whos cars and trucks they were selling.

The fact is that Toyota has been one of the leading companies canniballzing the US economy for almost 40 years now. OIne o fhte reasons is for years they have been given a free pass by the media when ti cam e to just about everything including their contribution to the US economy. At least the media free pass seems to be over.

8. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  9. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not from Toyota but the New York Times. Here are some highlights.

Ian Austen / New York Times / March 26, 2008

OSHAWA, Ontario --
    The company has since eliminated brand distinctions between engines, saddling them with names unlikely to inspire songwriters, like Ecotec, Vortec and Northstar. But some owners of the Chevrolet Equinox, a "compact" sport utility vehicle built in North America, might be surprised to learn the origin of the engine under their hoods -- it's made in China.

Last year, China exported more than $12 billion in auto parts, up from less than $2 billion in 2002 -- the majority to North America. The increase in exports has added to the problems plaguing North American suppliers. Most famously, Delphi, which is seeking to emerge from bankruptcy, has closed dozens of plants and moved some production overseas to become more competitive, including to China.

Soon China will be exporting whole vehicles to North America. Last year, Chrysler signed a deal with China's largest car company, Chery Automobile, to supply a Dodge subcompact.

"This is the first Chinese-made engine going into this market," said Eric A. Fedewa, vice president for powertrain forecasts at CSM Worldwide, an automotive analysis firm. "It was an experiment to see if GM could use its facility in China to take costs out of a vehicle."

GM neither promoted nor hid the fact that the Equinox engine (and that of its twin, the Pontiac Torrent) is made in China. The car's sticker notes 55 percent of its content is make in the United States and Canada, 20 percent in Japan, 15 percent in China and the rest from elsewhere.

But no sticker tells consumers the engine is built at Shanghai General Motors, a joint venture of GM and the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp., a Chinese company.

The same model of engine as the one made in China is produced at a GM engine plant in Tonawanda, N.Y., about a two-hour drive from the Canadian factory that builds the Equinox.

It uses a five-speed automatic transmission made in Japan by Aisin Seiki, though GM is a leading manufacturer of automatic transmissions. And the parts are assembled at a factory in Ingersoll, Ontario, a joint venture between GM and Suzuki, another Japanese firm.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CBIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2008%2F03%2F26%2Fbusiness%2Fworldbusiness%2F26chevy.html&rct=j&q=Ian+Austen+%2F+New+York+Times+%2F+March+26%2C+2008&ei=YzJ7S5zvNMqWtgeZj6SfCg&usg=AFQjCNEGonq9QT5xyI8Xb7cAEfFZwQO8Mw

Now please show me where I discounted the Toyota’s imports. Just to jog your memory remember Opel, Geo, Aveo and others. GM imports. Are you condemning GM for selling those? Taking away American jobs? What is a fact is that Toyota produces over 60% of its vehicles in the US.

Not knocking GM, but it does show a distinct failure in GM’s product line and matching its product to what Americans want to purchase and drive. Not to mention poor management.

15 Plants in Japan. 12 in ToyotaCity. Why does that matter?
    Why does GM produce more than it sells domestically? Why did GM produce so many cars that they had to rent land to store them all in 2008-2009? Why did GM produce so much that American tax payers and creditors paid for them?

Unfortunately the market demonstrated it doesn’t want that many GM vehicles today. The shuttering of plants and the lay off of 28,000 employees provides evidence of that. Not to mention GM’s willingly using foreign products in its US produced vehicles.

Well that is certainly better than a taxpayer bailout of a failed business plan and management of GM and Chrysler. GM cost the US taxpayer approximately $12,200 per taxpayer or a total of $66.1 billion. Chrysler cost $18.2 billion. A combined total of $84.3 billion taxpayer dollars. Darn it Toyota’s investing$36.2billion in US infrastructure certainly looks good compared to GM and Chrysler taking $84.3 billion from our pockets with no return.

Let’s look at GM employment. Currently GM has 38,000 blue collar employees and 27,400 white collar employees. A grand total of 65,400 in other words Toyota being a Japanese owned business has over 60% of employees GM has. BTW GM laid off in 2008-2009 over 27.000 employees due to poor management and product planning. Impressive considering Toyota doesn't have its global headquarters here.

Oh I don’t know. Detroit seems to be doing a pretty adequate job of outsourcing its suppliers, parts and components. You got to remember Delphi, Denso, Aisan, Getrag and countless others are providing Detroit their products and services from outside the US.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Malorn & ToyotaFleetManager, we live in a global economy.

Multi-national companies like GM, Ford, and Toyota are global companies. They will get parts and assemble cars wherever it is most financially efficient for them. Honestly, I can no longer consider Ford or GM "American only" car company's because so much of the final product comes from all over the world. Toyota use to be a Japanese only car company, but they too are a global company.

Keith

11. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Completely agree. Toyota is a global company as is GM and Ford and just about any other major corporation in the West.

Just disagree with Malorn's demonizing of Toyota and blaming them for GM and America's troubles.

12. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not a core customer for Toyota by definition. My first Toyota was the Prius in July 08. 1 Ford, 4 Pontiacs, 1 Jeep, 1 Cadillac and 1 Chevrolet. None of them were bad cars or SUVs but none has matched the Prius for reliability.

All the yellow journalism has me wishing I could afford to buy another Toyota soon.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Imagine that, the New York Times was wrong. What a shocker. Chevy Equinox engines are made in the USA. I guess the New York times received the Toyota propaganda.

I'll be back for the rest of your points in a bit.

Toyota US Production in 2009--541,848; 2008--754,585
    GM US Production in 2009--1,186,089; 2008--2,275,733

Even in a disastrous year for GM they still built more than twice as many vehicles in the US as toyota, in 2008 it was three times as many.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have a problem with GM if they shift production from the US to offshore plants and quality improves. They should also stop wrapping themselves in the US flag.

The market did speak. When GM whined to Congress that they'd go bankrupt without a Federal bailout Bush & Congress should have called them on it. The government could have owned the entire corporation for a fraction of the money that was thrown away protecting the jobs of the lazy & incompetant. IMO, if any GM employee responsible in any way for my 2000 Intrigue has a lower standard of living, it is well deserved.

15. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Imagine that at least 6 other sources including CNN states that the engine is made in China.

What makes a car American? - CNN.com

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1024689_gm-powering-its-cars-with-chinese-engines

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0UDO/is_3_16/ai_93954922/

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2008/03/31/chevrolet-equinox-gets-chinese-engine/

http://www.internetautoguide.com/1-2-16-1433/chevrolet-equinox.html

http://www.motorpoint.com.au/chevroletequinox.asp

16. John2010

John2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    According to Wikipedia, the 3.4 L LNJ V6 engine is made in China (by Shanghai GM) and the 3.6 L V6 engine in the Equinox Sport is made in the U.S.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    do you want me to show a photo of a window sticker? The engine on the 2010 Chevy Equinox is made in the USA. Period. Maybe GM is lying on the window stickers. Go to your local Chevy dealer and check for yourself.

Where is your comment about the production numbers? GM will build 3 times more vehicles in the US this year than Toyota. GM will bild a few in korea for export to the US, a few in Germany for export to the US. I will have all of the production and sales data for you soon. It won't backup your toyota is as american thesis.

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius was my first Toyota also. No regrets whatsoever.

Will I buy another Toyota in the future? Depends. An HSD minivan would be an almost no-brainer.

19. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

And the significance of GM building more in the US than Toyota is? Of course GM should build more they have a larger market share of the US market.

Oh you forgot to mention Australia, whoops that went down the tube with Pontiac. Or Canada, or the fact that GM sold rebadged Suzukis, Toyotas and Isuzus in the US market. Or that Isuzu designed and produces the Duramax engine for GM.

Also interesting is a statement by GM indicating they will import a Chinese made GM car starting in 2011. Granted its initial number will be approximately 17K in 2011 with a goal of 51K in 2014.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2009/05/19/gm-plan-to-import-chinese-cars-irks-senator.htm

Never said Toyota was an American company. Toyota is global manufacturer home based in Japan. As such Toyota produces 60% of its product in the US using American labor, suppliers and designers. GM is a global company producing vehicles in the US with global suppliers as well. Names like Aisin, Denso, Getrag, and countless other non American companies produce parts and provides services for them.

Since you are interested in numbers. Here’s one for you. GM currently has 204,000 employees globally. Of that 65,400 are employed in the US. Simply put only 31% of GM’s workforce are Americans.

What does that mean? Nothing more than GM is employing 65,400 Americans and Toyota has almost 40,000 employed Americans.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The significance of GM building more in the US than toyota? Are you serious? Jobs, tier 1,2 qnd 3 supliers plus the direct employment, plus the weaalth that stays in the US and is multiplied in the US economy.

In 2008(the last semi-normal year in the auto business) GM built 3 times more vehicles in the US than Toyota did? Did GM sell 3 times as many in the US? No GM sold about 40% more. The ratio of sold to produced in the US is not even between GM and Toyota. This does not take into account the difference in the design, engineering, testing and supplying for the vehicles. The job difference is in the hundreds of thousands.

You talk about Isuzu and Australia, trying to deflect from teh real story, nice try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.