1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mornings getting colder

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bobzchemist, Nov 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, with the mornings getting colder here in Georgia, it's starting to be a wee bit unpleasant for the first few minutes of my commute. Short of getting a remote starter, does anyone have any thoughts on getting the cabin or even just the drivers seat warm before I have to get in the car? I'm not completely opposed to putting a mini heater on a timer and plugging it into the wall every night, but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution out there.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    block heater?

Mendel Leisk and drysider like this.
  3. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what we use here in Finland all winter. We also have this kind of heaters inside the vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    When I stop driving, I just connect my car to the power, set the timer on the wall and start a warm vehicle next morning.

This may not be obvious all over the world?

wjtracy and Bluegrassman like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of them over here. how do you get power into the cabin?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Make sure your next car is a plug-in. The ability to automatically pre-condition the interior with cheap electricity is awesome. Also, try a 12v seat heater.

DadofHedgehog and Bluegrassman like this.
  6. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    put on a coat

tpenny67 and PosauneGuy like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    reply to your thread.:p

MrMischief and Bluegrassman like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When it was 20 or 30 below, the engine block heater is plugged in and the grille is blocked. I'll turn the car on and brush the snow off or scrap the windows while the car warms up. I turn the seat heater on too. It takes you about 2-3 mins to clear the windows. At those temps, I'm not expecting a warm cabin but at least it's 2-3 mins of run time. (No need to idle for any longer as it's better to drive gently to help the engine warm up). Oh and dressing warm helps :)

But yeah, I'm guessing GA doesn't get that cold so an engine block heater will definitely help since you're starting at a warmer temperature. Plug that into a timer so it turns on 1-2 hours before you leave. That way, you get a warm engine (better mpg) and you get heat from the climate control almost immediately. This compares to a fan/heater where you'll have a warm cabin but the climate control will be off (if you left it in AUTO) since the engine is cold and the climate control is designed not to blow cold air when it's cold outside.

9. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! does it come through the firewall?

11. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I'm sold on the block heater plus timer idea. How much of a PITA is it to install?

12. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    What's frustrating to me is I park in an indoor, heated lot. It's 70 degrees inside, year round. I pull out of the parking area in the morning and it's 50 degrees outside. My commute is 1.2 miles away. No matter what charge the battery is at the ICE always fires up. Seems to me that the Prius is set to detect outside temps and feels like it must start the ICE, no matter how slow I drive to work.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've heard they're pretty simple, but i haven't done one. i wouldn't be surprised if there was a thread here with pics and instructions, or youtube video.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius is set to warm up the engine at any temp for pollution reasons. i t doesn't know you're only going 1.2 miles. is that with the ev button depressed?

15. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    It didn't seem to do it when it was warmer out. Definitely different now that it's colder outside. EV is always depressed.

I thought I read that there is an element of "learning" that the Prius does based on driving patterns. Seems like this would be one opportunity for the car to "learn" that everyday I drive the same distance, no speed over 25MPH etc.

16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pull the ignition coils during the week, keep them in the glove box. If you need to go farther just put them back in.

"start up now you son-of-a-bitch"

17. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona

No disrespect, MrMischief, but you have a history of candid responses....so please, enlighten me.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Significant pain?

That's said having not done it myself, and assuming it's somewhat similar to 3rd gen. I suspect it'd be a lot easier if you pull the engine cowl, which is a bit of an undertaking. You can maybe do it from underside, removing the engine underpanel. Likely involves some unbolting of adjacent components/cables/hoses to gain access. And still you're mostly going by feel.

The one plus is it doesn't involve spilling coolant, the blockheater is just in a thin-walled recess. The flip-side of that is it needs a heat-conducting gel applied. And that can get tricky: you want to coat it generously, but leave a thin longitudinal channel ungreased, so air can vent as you push the thing in. And this is likely going to be blind: you can reach it with your hands but see as well, that would be too easy, lol. Best to trial fit a few times without the gel.

If a dealership will install for around $200 I'd go for it. Better for warranty too. Maybe let them do the grunt work, and leave it up to you to do final cable route. And watch you don't compromise the active shutters. See this thread:

block heater worthwhile for Ontario, Canada climate? | PriusChat

A caution though: don't except toasty warm cabin from the get go. It raises coolant temp by 25~30C, and that'll take close to 2 hours. It basically gives the car a "leg up" on warm up. You will get cabin heat sooner, and it's excellent for the engine, avoiding stone cold start ups.

See Toyota Canada is offering installed for $245, not seeing anything in a quick look at US site. Considering your brutal prairie winters, that's a bit of an omission.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    tpenny67 likes this.
  19. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My friends in Massachusetts and Maine say that we don't even have winter down here in Georgia...

Meanwhile, the native-born Georgians bundle up in winter parkas as soon as it gets below 40F (4C, for the metric minded amongst us).

I may try to do this myself. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a modding community in Atlanta so I could get some help, or at least hands-on advice.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh hang on: for some reason I thought you were in a 2016. So anyway: all of my last post applies, lol.

Second and third gen'rs have been DIY'ing this, even having "block heater clinics" at Prius meets, doing installs for cost in a parking lot. It's doable, just a bit of a pain. In my case we bought around this time of year, strange/new car, and I just didn't want the hassle. And paid a horrific $400, it seemed insignificant at the time, tacked on the new car price.

We use ours year round, btw.

Hey, look what I found:

https://priuschat.com/files/2010PriusBlockHeaterInstallationInstructions.pdf

(See @NutzAboutBolts video (pinned in the 3rd gen maintenance section) on spark plug change, for cowl removal.)

Tideland Prius likes this.