1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. patcoghm

patcoghm Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave Thompson @ Sep 4 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]314237[/snapback]</div>
    I also think they need to use the GPS features. Not only the elevation, but the atomic quality clock set by the satellites is more accurate the the clock in the dash. Eliminate the clock and have a voice command, "Show time".

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 9 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]300553[/snapback]</div>
    The cc does have an acceleration mode. While in cc, resume becomes acceleration. If you hold the switch in the resume position it will continue to accelerate until released. If you bump the switch to resume it will accelerate one mile per hour for each bump (a neat feature).

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After stopping at a stop sign (or a red light), I sometimes cannot see people crossing the road because the Prius front (windshield) frame is blocking the view at a certain angle. Unlike in a "normal" car, the front of the Pirus is slanted. I know this sounds weird, but a couple of times, I didn't see people walking 1-2 feet from the car and soon to be right in front of me. Now I make an extra effort to see if anyone is there before I proceed.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Pri.

4. canon

canon New Member

Owned my '05 for a year(10,000 miles). My major gripe is the drivers seat. I am good for about an hour in it and I start squirming to find comfort. The seats are painful. We have pretty much allocated it to city driving and jaunts no more than an hour. I have spent a couple hundred bucks on inserts, pads and pillows to make it comfortable and none of them did any good.

Mileage really dropped with the hot summer we had here in N.C. Last couple of tanks it has fallen to mid 40's but see it coming back up now. Highway mileage is better than city driving. I think they have the EPA numbers reversed. Perhaps we aren't as intent on high mileage as when we first purchased.

With the 4 cylinder Camry getting 34mpg on the highway I am not sure the comfort sacrifices driving the Prius makes sense. However I am concerned about the environment.

Sorry for the rambling.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 5 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]314933[/snapback]</div>
    how about zoom out to see more map? That way you can see more gas stations on your route. Alternatively you can just keep touching the screen up and it will move the map for you so you can just keep scrolling to see upcoming gas stations.

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Sep 17 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]320774[/snapback]</div>

As I've mentioned in the thread, this does not come close to addressing the issue.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 17 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]320777[/snapback]</div>
    I read your posts. So I guess, I don't understand what you are asking. When I am down to 1/4 of a tank and I know I will need to get gas in about 30 miles or so I look for gas stations on my route about 30 miles away from me. I thought you wanted to do something like that. Am I wrong?

8. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All of these faults you guys are talking about, you're starting to scare me....perhaps I shouldn't buy a Prius. ;)

As far as the NAV, some people expect more performance out of it than others. I am basically my own navigation, since I was a former OTR truck driver I often planned my routes, where I was going and where exactly I was going to stop at. On road trips I often know what gas stations I plan to stop at, which is why I always try to pre-plan my trips. Of course being a trucker I was trained to do that.

Anyway, the NAV can be quite useful, and can guide you to most places accurately. I don't stop at restaurants and hotels unless I have no other choice (I usually do my long distance drives straight through w/o stops except restroom and snack breaks). But the NAV isnt perfect. No system is, so I feel if there were enough people to email Toyota and let them know of the shortcomings of the current NAV system, perhaps they can refine it and make improvements to where it can be more intuitive to use in future models of the Prius.

As for seats, everyone has their own comfort preferences. When I test drove the Prius last month, I found the seat comfortable, and im 6'1. And being able to adjust the recline was nice as well. Compare that to my Olds, where the only part of the seat I could adjust was moving it forward/backward. The recline position was fixed so could not adjust that level at all. And I have owned the car for several years and have made many long distance road trips in it (over 1,000 miles) and the seat has always done well for me comfort wise. And I do plan to get good seat covers for my Prius as well. But like its known, YMMV.

As for mirrors, I would treat them as if I was driving a semi because a semi has many blindspots and as some may know, semi trucks have no rearview mirrors so I usually would have to use the side mirrors to back. With the rearview in a car its always a plus. If adjusted properly, they should help most in seeing what's on the sides of you.

Anyway I am really looking forward to my Prius when it arrives. There is always going to be quirks that people are not going to like. But for what its worth, just enjoy the car, which I know all of you are. :)

9. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my Prius for 2 months and 5100 km.

1) The cruise control preset is cancelled when the car's speed drops below apx. 40 km/h (25 mph). In my part of the world, you encounter stop signs at intersections on rural highways. Having to reset the CC each time is a small annoyance. I traded in an Echo HB on the Prius, and Toyota was able to design a CC for that car that retained the preset even if you came to a complete stop. Why couldn't they do it for the Prius?

2) The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the 2006 causes problems if you want to have a set of winter wheels/tires. AFAIK, you either have to spend lots of money to put sending devices on the winter wheels, or you learn to live with a low tire pressure warning light that is constantly on. I would like the option of turning off the TPMS.

10. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JayGoldstein @ Sep 17 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]320842[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of people change the tires on their cars - it's not that big a deal unless you have to use different wheels. I don't think many folks do.

We just traded out of a 4 cyl Camry into the Prius - I never got above 25 mpg in it, more often in the low 20s. If I'd gotten 34 mpg in it, I might have kept it (but I'd rather have the Prius :)).

11. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Sep 17 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]320864[/snapback]</div>
    In many regions of Canada, as well as the northern states in the US, it is not uncommon to have a separate set of wheels and tires for winter use.

12. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I love Click and Clack and will certainly adjust the mirrors per their suggestion. I'll also try turning the rv upside down, but for me the issue is visibility out the front left and right edges of the windshield. It seems that under certain circumstances I have a blind spot such that people are suddenly revealed to be walking into the cross walk, while I am either passing through it or have barely enough room to stop. This seems to occur when the cross walk is on the far side of the intersection from where I am stopped. I look carefully, but don't see. Then I go, and suddenly there are people just starting to cross the street. I think that fat divider between the front window and the side window/wind wing thingy is the problem. Also, I am tall, so my problem may be compounded by the fact that I am looking straight at the rv mirror.

Also, I have to agree that the general issue concerning the gas tank is annoying. We average 45 MPG, which I admit isn't great, but still if you multiple this out, we should get 540 miles per tank. It would be nice to be able to drive the car to within 50 miles of empty -- say 450 to 500 miles -- rather than to have to fill up in the 300's. We already have a car with a driving range in the 300's and were hoping to do better than that with this far, far more expensive car. Our other car is a 98 Accord and it gets 33 and holds 15 or 16 gallons. So this gives us a nice range per tank.

We never suspected we would have so little range. I'm getting too familiar with getting gas! Thankfully, I have never had an trouble actually getting the gas into the tank, however. That just works completely fine and I like that I only have to pay 15 dollars or so, rather than 30 or 40 at a pop.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 17 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]376913[/snapback]</div>
    The TCH has folding rear seats, albeit only the right side has a pass-thru lol.

14. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 17 2007, 06:40 AM) [snapback]377087[/snapback]</div>
    The pass-through is tiny.

[​IMG]

15. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After 900 miles on my 2007 Prius (package 2) I LOVE the car!

But there is always room for improvement, so...how about litte ridges or rubber on the radio's volume control so there is more friction and something to grab onto to adjust the volume? It doesn't pop out from the dash far enough to get a good grip on it.

Please give us the EV button too!

16. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(canon @ Sep 17 2006, 05:10 AM) [snapback]320766[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't want a sedan, I prefer a wagon. The Prius has the hatch which is great, and I wouldn't have bought a Camry Hybrid for $31k! Not to mention the Camry Hybrid doesn't have a folding rear seat. Yuck!

Dave

17. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 17 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]376913[/snapback]</div>

The one thing I'd be tempted to STEAL from a Camry and put into my Prius is the driver's seat (heck, while I'm at it, I'd take the front passenger, too). I've also driven maybe 500 miles in a 2007 Camry Hybrid with cloth seats, and my 2006 Prius factory leather are put to shame in comparison.

18. mstevem

mstevem New Member

The missing change holder!!!

19. kokid

kokid Junior Member

Hands down, no doubt about it -- the JBL 6-disc, 9-speaker stereo is a piece of sh**. As other posters have mentioned, the speakers buzz (especially the front center) and it can't play loud rock. Fortunately, everything else on the car is fantastic.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jan 17 2007, 03:44 AM) [snapback]377093[/snapback]</div>
    ... as Scott illustrates hehe.