1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bebopp @ Nov 4 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]534829[/snapback]</div>
    It is more efficient to have the acceleration augemented by the electric motor when starting from a stop...but NOT to use it alone...which is what the poster I was responding to was suggesting. Because of the electric motor the issue of inefficiency of the ICE is attenuated by the electric motor and the ICE is allowed to stay within a more efficient rpm range. But it is not effient to accelerate with battery/motor alone..which is why the Prius doesn't do that.

You again failed to pay attention to the question to which I was responding. The poster I responded to was specifically talking about going downhill and his frustration with the ICE coming on.

And, indeed, the main reason for the ICE coming on at those speeds is to protect MG1 from overspinning it's max rate of 10,000rpm (not hit until 62mph). But your facts as far as the physics of the situation I agree with.

2. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 5 2007, 07:14 AM) [snapback]534865[/snapback]</div>
    So why read the thread?

3. Bebopp

Bebopp New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 5 2007, 06:45 AM) [snapback]534869[/snapback]</div>
    It IS more efficient to use the electric motor alone when starting from stop, because it is when the combustion engine is at its worst efficiency (although the Prius does not do that because of the reason below). When the ICE kicks in at cruising speeds and recharges the battery, even though part of the power produced by the ICE goes towards recharging the battery, it is doing so at its most efficient operating condition. Combustion engines are inherently inefficient at transient conditions, and this is what the hybrid concept is addressing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 5 2007, 06:45 AM) [snapback]534869[/snapback]</div>
    Using the electric motor and ICE at the same time at takeoff (when the accelerator is pressed hard) is only done by the Prius to help get the car up to speed quicker, it does not do so to improve efficiency. Because of the limitations of the electric motor in terms of power output, the ICE is still required to help accelerations, and it does so at the expense of efficiency and emissions.

But the electric motors and ICE are directly coupled to the wheels, how does the ICE coming on reduce the speed of MG1?

4. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On the old issue of wanting the doors to lock automatically, I'm pretty sure the 2008 manual says this is a dealer configurable option.

Z.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zoot @ Nov 6 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]535925[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Turns out it was the auto RE-locking feature that they were talking about.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Nov 5 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]534896[/snapback]</div>
    Because there is also good stuff in the threads.
    By the way, this was my way of saying not much about the Prius is annoying, and I could see the start of an argument about not much.

7. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

didn't read the whole 17 page thread, so I apologize if this has been said already, but for me, the most annoying thing is being locked out of doing things with the phone and nav while driving.

I know the reasoning behind it, but if I can ever find a workaround to it, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

8. mickwill

mickwill New Member

The most annoying thing about my Prius is I havn't got it yet - I'll get my coat.............. :lol:

9. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. Not being able to turn off the VSC in slippery/snowy weather when the car is stopped and the wheels spin; you cannot get ANY traction and the car just basically shuts down.

2. Not being able to put the transmission into "neutral" so the front wheels don't have to be put on dollies for a tow (or the car dragged on a flat bed truck); CVT can't be put in neutral when the 12 volt battery dies.

Other than those, I love the car.

10. darlenegalik

darlenegalik New Member

The only thing that bug me is the orange snowflake that lights up when it's getting close to freezing outside - I think it goes on at 37 degrees - the first few time every year when this lights up, I can't remember what the heck that thing was for..... :unsure:

11. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusGirlNJ @ Nov 7 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]536110[/snapback]</div>
    Since I have started seeing it again I completely agree. What in the world did the engineers think we needed this for?? You step outside--you figure out it's cold. If you need confirmation, there's the thermometer.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ice? Could it be a warning about ice? I see that as a sensible addition as we don't get snow here but there are times we get ice in patches on the road, this light alerts the driver that even though there is no snow there may be ice as the temperature is low enough.

13. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 6 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]535972[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think so, since it says (p.488):

"Speed-detecting automatic door lock function" Default setting: Off

So it can't be referring to the auto-relock function since that defaults to on not off, and has nothing to do with "speed". I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else in the manuals that when this is on the doors lock at 17 miles per hour, but maybe I dreamed that since I haven't found it again yet.

Z.

14. arnoutterschure

arnoutterschure New Member

I can't read all replies, so some may have already been addressed, but these are the things I think are annoying in our Prius 2007 standard model:

1) unable to raise or lower the seat. At 6'4" I am close to hitting the roof. Our KIA Spectra 5, altough smaler than the Prius, has more head room due to adjustable seat height.
    2) with #1 comes that the rear view mirror blocks considerable parts of my view.
    3) no engine temp. indicator. As noted many times on this forum, the whole gasoline-hybrid-exhaust system works best at optimal system operating temperatures. So why not display it then?
    4) No revolution counter. Maybe not necessary with the CVT, but it would certainly aid in additional fuel-economy. Everybody driving a stick shift knows that and it would be great to know at which RPM you get the best fuel-economy. System INFORMATION is key to get the best out of any car
    5) Too small a stearing weel. Darn this car is designed for women and asians (no offense), but what about the male caucasian?
    6) There is no "ooomphh" in the car. Flooring it to get uphill at at least a constant speed is certainly not the optimal way to get best economy. I would like to see a bigger and stronger electric engine in the next models. It seems as if the Prius is mainly designed for flat terrain 35-45mph city driving. Driving around the SF Bay Area Penninsula, which is rather hilly, feels sometimes like a drag.
    7) How come that if I drive uphill for 5 minutes at 25mph, my average fuel ecomomy of 43MPG drops .2mpg, whereas driving the same distance downhill entirely on the electric engine (>100mpg) for the same time length doesnot increase the average fuel economy? 100MPG compared to 43MPG is still 57MPG better, whereas 25MPG compared to 43MPG is only 18MPG worse...

8) Otherwise, WE LOVE THE CAR. It is quiet (except going uphil), roomy (with 2 kids still everything fits in the car), fun to drive (improving your fueleconomy everytime you sit behind the wheel is FUN), nice design, decent seats, etc AND 2 weeks ago when we filled it up for the 2nd time in 2 months (whoohaaa!) I had to pinch my self when the pump stopped at 9.5 gallons. I thought the pump was wrong, but it wasn't. UNBELIEVABLE! Now you just want to wait till that stupid SUV pulls up and show 'em, or better, see how long it takes before they are filled-up. HAHAHA!

15. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(proudpriusowner @ Nov 7 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]536376[/snapback]</div>
    1 - OK, this I too question, I would love to be able to telescope the steering wheel out or in. I'm 5'6" so I'm Asian sized, and my wife is 5'0" and is Japanese, so we fit the car just fine. I actually like the view out the windows in this car vs. the 2007 Camry.

2 - this doesn't bother me since I'm not over 6 feet tall, but I do dislike the A pillars on this car, and find myself having to look around them when going around corners, a nuisance.

3-4 - get a ScanGuageII.

5 - umm if you want a bigger wheel buy a truck

6 - this car has more "oomph" than my parents 200hp Camry V6. Again, buy a truck or Highlander Hybrid or Camry Hybrid if you want more power. Remember, more power = less MPGs. I think the Prius has plenty of get up and go.

7 - you mean current MPG right?

8 - yesss

16. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(proudpriusowner @ Nov 7 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]536376[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I think it depends on the circumstances.

If you reset your mileage then drive 100 miles to the base of a hill getting 43 mpg, then drive 10 miles up the hill and turn around and coast down (using no gas), then, with a 25 mpg climb you'll be down to 40.4 mpg at the top but over 44 mpg when you get back to the bottom so you come out "ahead" in that example (and your battery will be fully charged making you a bit further ahead which will show up in mpg later).

But let's say you only get 10 mpg going up the hill. Then you've dropped all the way to 33 mpg at the peak, and you only get back to 36 mpg coasting back down. In this case indeed you'll see the uphill being much more costly (to your displayed mpg number) than the downhill is beneficial.

So you can see it go either way, again depending on the particular numbers involved.

Going downhill using no gas at all is not "57 mpg better" it's actually infinitely better. But free miles (even at infinity mpg) will only increase your MPG so much whereas extra gas burned can make it worse without limit.

It's a little better because you can "make" energy on the way down (up to the available battery capacity), so if the car were 100% efficient in turning gas into motive force, and there were no friction, and the regenerative systems were 100% perfect in converting your momentum back into batter power, and the battery had unlimited capacity, then the MPG would always be the same before and after the hill climb and descent. But things are so inefficient that the extra energy collected on the way down is virtually negligible in these examples.

Z.

17. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if this has been said ... I don't have the time to read through all of the responses ... but ...

I hate the fact that if you shut down the Priss, the doors automatically unlock. Then you lock them again so you don't get mugged while you are gathering your stuff and putting your iPod away.

Then you forget that you re-locked the doors, and open the driver's side door ...

... AND THEN THE ALARM GOES OFF. :angry: :angry: :angry:

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In the Prius, it is NOT more efficient to use the electric motor only. Acceleration takes a lot of power. The electricity in the batteries needs to come from somewhere, and it can't get all of it back from regen braking. The power has to be generated by the ICE. If one accelerates with electric only, they will find consumption of fuel higher, driving at the usual speeds. This is because energy has to be diverted to turning a heavier loaded motor to recharge the batteries. Toyota may one day find a way to break the laws of thermodynamics, but not today.

19. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My main gripe with the Prius is the position of the rear view mirror. It significantly disrupts my view out the windshiled in the 1 o'clock position. This is because the steering wheel doesn't have an adjustable reach, so I have to have the seat nearly vertical to be able to both reach the pedals and the steering wheel comfortably.

Move that thing up to the top of the windshield!

The A-pillars are pretty thick and onstructive as well, but I'll let it slide because I think it contributes to good crash strength.

20. hozozco

hozozco New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Two things:

1) If I load up the boot (trunk for the Americans) the Prius won't get up the driveway!

Our driveway is exceptionally steep. The front wheels slip (it is very textured concrete too) and then power is cut. I have to get out, unload the car, drive the car up to the top, carry up the luggage and reload. I haven't had to do it in the rain - yet!

I think the solution is to get tires with more grip...

2) It's hard to park. I have great difficulty seeing where the front and rear are. I hoping to get used to it, but I've spoken with other Prius owners that have had their car for years and still find it difficult. I guess it's a byproduct of the aerodynamics.

Fantastic car though...I just love it...

:)