1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 3 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]297148[/snapback]</div>
    Working hard? ;) :lol:

Being in the real estate industry one has to do a rather significant amount of driving from house to house on a near-daily basis...but I don't expect the car to make me money, I make my money. Having a Prius rather than a typical gas guzzler just helps keep more of that money in my pocket during each visit at the gas pump.

I can't believe there are still people out there stating that you'll 'never make up the premium of driving a hybrid'. :rolleyes: Probably the same people who shell out for SUV or truck with 4WD who never opt to take their vehicles off-roading but instead get to spend their vehicular lives on paved suburban roads. And the people who get the Eddie Bauer editions...how are a bunch of fancy schmancy add-ons gonna help pay for themselves pray tell??!!

2. Charles Ingalls

Charles Ingalls New Member

I agree with a few point:
    The cloth center console really worries me (if it will look worn after a few years)
    I wish it had a moon roof

Other than that I love it. I have only had it 10 days now but it is performing beautifully

Much better than my old ride.

3. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unlearning all my bad pre-Prius habits.

Sitting in the "other" car and trying to remember how to use that metal key thingy.

4. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 3 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]297148[/snapback]</div>
    I LOVE this response. Since when does any car recoup its price?

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Aug 3 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]297169[/snapback]</div>
    Well, my old car, a 1998 Chevy Cavalier, had a ridiulously inaccurate gas gauge, too. The thank was about 16 gallons, and I'd go about 100 mile until it dropped to the 'Full' mark on the gauge, and another 150 until it got to half, then another 50 until it dropped to the 'Empty' setting, with probably another 20 miles until the dashboard light started flashing to tell me I was nearly out of gas, and I've need to add another 15+ gallons.

I get about 50 MPG in my 2006 Prius - this week my gauge finally dropped to 9 pips at 167 miles, and I still have the 9 pips at 210 miles. But it will probably drop to 8 pips in another few miles, and drop others at about 50 mile intervals. That's why I fill up at the 2 pip mark, although I once pushed it to 1 pip while on a long trip because I was close to the NY/NJ state line where the gas prices dropped 15 to 20 cents a gallon.

6. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 3 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]297253[/snapback]</div>
    Prius envy, pure and simple. And a lot of these folks have gone through some tricky mental gymnastics to justify, for themselves, why they "need" such a vehicle. The existence of our Prii, and the great results almost all of us are getting, threaten the stability of their justificational "house of cards." They must, therefore, attack to neutralize the "threat." My next-door neighbor is a classic example. A smart guy and a pilot with a major airline, he gets around in a very thirsty full-size pickup. He's loudly declaring to everyone that my Prius will do no better on the highway than a conventional car. Guess I'll have to show him the avg mpg display when I get back to town. . . And just why is he so worried about the "crappy mileage" ( :lol: ) I'll be getting with my car???? :rolleyes:

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Aug 3 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]297192[/snapback]</div>
    A 16 foot wheel????

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Aug 3 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]297295[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure if this is quite big enough though I'd hate to have to find a wheel that fits it...

[​IMG]

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [attachmentid=4341] I still feel badly about insulting B Rad, so I'm not going to jump all over an innocent typo. But, the talk about big tires and little cars reminded me of this new model form Mercedes...

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Most annoying to me was the back up beep and the seat belt beep......... so i disabled them both last night, thanks to the instructions posted here.... Now i can accept my Prius for what it really is.....WONDERFUL!!!

11. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

No one's mentioned this so I will.

When going up a hill in reverse, the Prius stays in EV mode and the engine never starts.

Unfortunately, that little electric motor has so little torque that I have to press my accelerator pedal 3/4ths down just to get up my drive-way backwards.

Need more torque with the electric motor. Geez.

Another thing no one has mentioned. The front-end of the car is WAY TOO LOW. I forgot how many times I have scratched the underside by either bottoming out or hitting the parking thingy

Jimmy

P.S. Somewhat less annoying, (out of sight, out of mind), the spare tire is TINY.

12. Recovering Gas Guzzler

VSC is the most annoying thing about the Prius.

13. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've had my Prius all of 7 days and the only big thing I can really pinpoint is the fuel bladder. Having gas spit on me by my own car, well not on me, but close, kind of sucks.
    There are small things like the reverse beep, but I can and will disable that and the non-auto lock feature on the doors, also something I will cure.
    Of course, all the people that tell me the batteries will cost me $10,000.00 to replace and it will take me years upon years to recoup my investment really annoy me. Other than that, I love my new car. I had my sights set on a 2006 Mustang GT, but then the gas prices shot way up so we decided that a Hybrid would be a better choice. I don't regret buying my Prius.

14. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Definetly has to be the wheels, i can't stand em! Gotta get me some big low profile tires somehow!

15. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Aug 3 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]297247[/snapback]</div>

I heard about that from my insurance company, USAA, a few years ago. It made all the difference in the world with my '95 Explorer. A car showed in my rearview, then to the sideview mirrors and then into my peripheral vision- had it in sight all the way. I have adjusted the mirrors the same with the Prius, but not with the same success. I still feel that I have blind spots with my Baby.

16. miwaku

miwaku New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Aug 3 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]297206[/snapback]</div>
    Why not turn on the ASL/DSP? Click Audio, DSP, and turn it ON. Your stereo will increase the volume based on the speed of your car. Works really well...

I agree with the automatic door locks comment, and the only other thing I'd add are daytime running lights. Of course, I just leave the lights on all the time - takes care of that one!

17. molgrips

molgrips Member

Well, it's not about saving money is it? It should be about helping save the environment. The US is a major polluter in terms of CO2, and I heard once that half of it is due to cars and trucks. With that in mind, driving around some piece of junk that does 15mpg is criminal.

18. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 3 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]297148[/snapback]</div>
    Gotta agree with that one. But alas, I shut them up very quickly. Here in Colorado, we get an additional $3285 in Tax Credit above and beyond the federal credit. So I simply ask them ... "when was the last time you bought a new car and could sell it 1 year later for more than you paid". That shuts 'em up very fast. Then add on top of it that it's an awesome car with incredible gas mileage. Their argument goes away instantly.

The demo car at our local dealership had ratty looking fabric on the door handle and center console. Pretty sad for a dealer to not even try to keep this looking nice. That was enough to convince me the fabric was going to be a problem and go with leather.

I pick up my Prius tomorrow, maybe I'll have things that annoy me after driving it for a little while. Right now I'm just looking forward to the fun. :D

Joel

19. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that TOYOTA has determined that I need to be protected by disabling the Nav and phone functions. That is number 1 for me. I do wish the radio knobs were not so finite it level adjustment. I wish the car got close to the advertised mileage too.

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Recovering Gas Guzzler @ Aug 3 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]297368[/snapback]</div>
    Please elaborate, being that I don't have it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Aug 4 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]297576[/snapback]</div>
    Most annoying part of that drive is that you're going to be going through Wyoming! ;)