1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Aug 4 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]298059[/snapback]</div>
    MA may well be different, but I often hear the same thing in FL where I'm licensed to practice law, and actually, that's not the law here at all. In FL, there is a presumption of fault against the person who rear-ends another vehicle, but it is a rebuttable presumption. In other words, in you're the "rear ender" (vs. the "rear endee") you "start out" at fault, but you are free to try to prove that the other guy really is responsible. That's pretty rare, but I have seen a couple cases go this way. Regardless, if you rear-end someone, you're going to be behind the eight ball, but it still may be worth looking into whether your're really 100% at fault. Don't make assumptions; consult with a lawyer in your jurisdiction.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry, veered off topic there. To bring it back: I'm still waiting to hear about a "Prius Defense" case, as in, "hey, the friction brakes engaged later than they usually do, so it's not my fault." Flimsy to be sure, but sooner or later, someone's going to try it. . .

2. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Me,

1. The car doesn't drive straight. You have to constantly adjust the steering to keep it going straight. This is mostly an annoyance when trying to do something that requires two hands, like change the CD. In my old 4Runner, I could just press my knee against the steering wheel, and the car would drive straight for a while; not so with the Prius. I'll have the alignment checked, but I understand from other threads that this is just the way the car drives.

2. The seats are too firm for my taste.

3. The fabric upholstery. It scratches rather easily (throwing my laptop bag on the passenger seat did the trick). And permanently.

4. The brakes seem too sensitive to me - and "grabby." I expect I'll get used to this eventually, though.

5. The car is very low to the ground, so you have to be extemely careful not to drive over parking space barriers and curbs. I got my front hooked on a piece of rebar sticking up from one of those barriers and did a bit of damage to front of my car in backing out. This is taking a bit of getting used to after the 4Runner!

6. Since it's a new car that I love, I have to keep it clean!

3. turtlebud

turtlebud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1. no change compartment
    2. rear view (in mirror) is too "wide" - I'm used to looking in my rear view and just seeing what's behind me. in the prius, I can see some of the back seats and the sides of the back of the car
    3. sits too tall - i feel like i'm pretty close to the roof of the car (and i'm only 5' 10"). and when I open the sunglassees holder, I can see it in my rear view mirror (presumably because i'm sitting so high up). I guess tha main complain here is no power seats to adjust lower.
    4. EVERYTHING is on the lcd display. I would have preferred to have the climate controls pushed down on their own instead of on the lcd so I don't have to push "climate" then touch the lcd to turn the fan on. Ditto with the radio. Seems funny that there's all that blank space on the in dash CD changer that just isn't used (I thought there was a display there when I first got it).
    5 Fingerprints on the LCD - I think this is related to #4, I hate all the fingerprints I put on the lcd and how hard it is the view the lcd in bright sunlight.

4. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 3 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]297344[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel bad, I laughed as much as anyone.

5. ajprius

ajprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 4 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]298018[/snapback]</div>

Seems like a interesting choice, like once I slammed into the back of someone while driving, so know I've decided not to use the gas pedal? Come on, run out there an honk that horn, just for kicks! :D

6. njkayaker

njkayaker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 4 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]298018[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's standard in every state that the it's person rear-ending that is at fault. The idea is that you are always supposed to keep enough room to stop (and stop).

7. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(turtlebud @ Aug 5 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]298185[/snapback]</div>
    Very true. I'd even like just some manually adjustable seats. More than lowering the seat (I'm 6'), I'd like to be able to angle up the front of the seat for more thigh support.

I suppose the theory that's why the steering wheel buttons are there... they can do the basics at least, including turning the AC on and off (though why you can turn the radio on but not off that way, I don't know).

Would the little packet of Armorall wipes be useful for this? Or are they not usable on such surfaces?

8. ajprius

ajprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 5 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]298266[/snapback]</div>

We've used eye glass wipes that seem to work well, they are dry but soft enough to get those little annoying fingerprints off without hurting the screen... and YES the prints are annoying.

9. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abqrichard @ Aug 4 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]298084[/snapback]</div>
    I had this same issue on my new Prius that we just took delivery of. We cured it by sending the car in for an alignment and arguing with the tech that the car was "toed in". If you don't explain that it's Toed in then they'll just test it by seeing if it pulls (which it doesn't). You probably just need a correct alignment. In addition we replaced the factory rims/tires with a different brand. Goodyear Integrity has a reputation for causing constant corrections (similar to what you describe).

The alignment was free and sure enough it was Toed in....

10. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abqrichard @ Aug 4 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]298084[/snapback]</div>
    Please tell me where you live so I can stay far, far away.

11. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Annoyances for me:

1. Horn is weak and wimpy. The Honda Accord horn sounds nice.

2. Driver's seat seems too high in my opinion. It feels like I'm driving a truck (but I did come from a BMW coupe with wonderful power seats)

3. Not getting my Carpool lane stickers yet (not Toyota's fault, but the California DMV)

That's about it for now. I've had the car for 2 weeks so far.

12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Several, which others have already touched on.

One I haven't seen anyone mention -- having to use that rod to keep the hood lid open! Seems a little primitive. I keep forgetting where the damn slot is.

There are shortcomings, but I still love the car.

13. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Aug 5 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]298373[/snapback]</div>
    Get one of these. For the link to what the JDM horn sounds like compared to the original, try here.

I'd like an idea of what installation is like, considering how cramped things are under the hood. Then again, maybe it would be better if I use the horn less.

14. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(turtlebud @ Aug 5 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]298185[/snapback]</div>
    To keep your screen cleaner, don't use your fingertip--use your fingernail (not the tip of it, but the flat part of the nail). It keeps the screen MUCH cleaner!!!

15. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    the blasted bladder here... :mellow:

16. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

My 2 cents.. The BIG blind spot on the passenger rear.. There is one route I have to take sometimes where you come down a blind curving ramp and then have to merge into the LEFT lane. It can be tough seeing who is coming

17. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 5 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]298266[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I have found out that when the audio is on if you hold down the MODE button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds the audio goes off! Is that in TFOM?

18. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the most annoying thing about my prius is the exhaust, i want it to be very loud, even on EV mode.

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 5 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]298449[/snapback]</div>
    As designed. Push and hold the Mode button to toggle on/off. Push and release to change the source AM, FM1, FM2, CD (satellite Radio??, I don't have that)

20. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgreys @ Aug 3 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]297199[/snapback]</div>
    I assume a factor of 10. It gives a larger margin for error and the math is easy (just move the decimal point).