1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Aug 7 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]299024[/snapback]</div>

The shifter

2. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

Right now the most annoying thing for me is the ground loop between the Aux input and the power jack inside the console. I hate having to pull my audio book player out of the car just to recharge it.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 7 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]298992[/snapback]</div>
    Well, how would you explain, say an S2000's start up procedure? Turn the key to "ON" then press the ENGINE START button. It's the same with Mercedes' Keyless Go! system. With Toyota's SKS system, you don't need to do two steps. Just push the damn ENGINE START STOP button or POWER button on hybrids.

The reverse beep isn't limited to the Prius. It's also on the Corolla/Matrix XRS models with the 6-spd manual. The problem is, we can disable it and they can't

There's a lotta stuff in the Prius besides the powertrain. The first automotive use of ultra high strength tensile steel allows for thinner panels (saves weight) and yet equal strength and integrity. The wheels are fairly light at ~14lbs each, the curved roof to minimise eddies around the edge of the roof and the underbody panels and wheel spats to smoothen out airflow and minimise turbulence around the wheels, respectively.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ Aug 7 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]299108[/snapback]</div>
    I had that problem with my portable XM radio. I installed Ground Loop Isolator, which did the trick.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Lack of reflective LCD (aka the old front-lit GBA), or lack of OLED screens, for the HUD and the MFD. Backlit displays in primarily a daylight vehicle is going against the grain.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Aug 7 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]298994[/snapback]</div>
    Did I disagree about THAT? You said
    I repeat, I have less than 2k on mine--I love my car and ain't nothin' nobody's gonna say to make me change my mind. Do I have to shut up about this for another 8k? We are on the same side here! :huh:

7. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it just me, or does anybody else find themselves grabbing the windshield wiper stalk instead of the little gear shift?? Even though my last car had the gear shift in the center console, I've driven plenty of cars where it's on a stalk -- and the windshield wiper thing on the Prius is so close to the little gear shift. I've been driving this car for 7 weeks now, and still find myself doing that once in a while, especially when I am trying to go from Drive to Reverse. I even find myself sometimes doing that when I mean to park, forgetting it's a button, not a gear position.

8. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 7 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]299115[/snapback]</div>
    I don't try to explain the starting procedure for any car. Have no idea why an S2000 uses the procedure it does. But nobody besides the valet at Jack London Square has been able to "start" my Prius without instruction from me. I don't have a problem with the Prius starting procedure - hell, I picked the Prius over the Civic. But it is not very intuitive. Even with the SKS, you left out the step that catches just about everyone.

All that is really cool. All geared to wringing an extra couple of mpg out of the car. Fine. But does any of it make the car handle better? I think the Civic wins over the Prius on general comfort and handling. Not by a lot. Over the Civic, I preferred the Prius because it had a bit more room, is a hatchback with more cargo space, had 50% fatter tax credit, and the dealers in this area not marking them up above MSRP (Honda dealers were adding almost $3K to the Civic). But all that the thin, lightweight metal may be really safe and fuel efficient, but it feels like a tin can.

Don't get me wrong. I think my car is really cool. I am just not about to engage in the "prigasms" it seems wash over many the car's owner/cheerleaders.

Again - don't get me wrong. I am not trying to start a fight, but notwithstanding the powerplant, are you suggesting that all of the mileage gaining design elements, like wheel pants and kryptonite sheet metal :) , are significant added costs that justify the higher price tag?

And if that back up beeper is on the Corolla and Matrix... it doesn't mean that it isn't annoying. And it is not a "feature" found on most cars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Aug 7 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]299024[/snapback]</div>
    That's how my sister-in-law described the transmission selector (I have a hard time calling that thing a shifter :) ) Good description, I thought.

Prior to hearing her call it that, I described it to my dad as a modern version of the panel mounted lever on automatic Corvairs. There have been other panel mounted automatic transmission controls. Another that comes to mind was the old pushbutton Dodge Dart.

9. snowbird01

snowbird01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 7 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]299260[/snapback]</div>
    Yes to both! But I've had my Prius for 3 months now and I don't do it anymore. :D My main problem - going from an SUV to Prius is finding it in large parking lots.

10. omahajim

omahajim New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 7 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]299276[/snapback]</div>
    Foot firmly on brake?

11. snowbird01

snowbird01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Aug 3 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]297154[/snapback]</div>
    How did that happen? I bought my Prius this year, the car came in without leather so I requested leather
    upgrade (and never thought about any special instructions). It came back with everything leather - console and doors included thank goodness. The upgrade was about $1300 and, I thought, well worth it! Have you checked with your dealer to see what it would cost to get the console and doors covered? Maybe its not very expensive.
    You'll be glad you did. (I have fuzzy dogs in my car and their fur would stick to the cloth - Yuck!)

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowbird01 @ Aug 7 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]299296[/snapback]</div>
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...s_promot_widget

This is the best that I've seen so far.....

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I don't know that I would call it exactly annoying, but it sure does confuse the hell out of me sometimes...the way the cruise control lever rotates with the steering wheel...I have only ever before seen them mounted on the face of the steering wheel--buttons, not a lever, or a fixed lever, like the turn signal ones...I have DEFINITELY had to occasionally think about where the heckfire that pup has got to... But, then again, I AM using the cc less in the Pri, so I guess it doesn't bug me too much...just more of a curiosity!

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nope. Maybe it's because I've driven Toyotas all my life (well.. only 3 so far) so I know where their stalk is.

15. snowbird01

snowbird01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 7 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]299400[/snapback]</div>
    I never use that one (on the steering wheel) Use the other one - its more "normal"

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowbird01 @ Aug 7 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]299416[/snapback]</div>
    No, you are absolutely correct--it is way more "normal" to have it on the steering column...what confuses me is that it rotates with the steering wheel, rather than being fixed...THAT is the part I haven't encountered before, and it gives me VERY occasional pause on a curvy road. :huh:

17. snowbird01

snowbird01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 7 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]299421[/snapback]</div>
    I don't understand - the one I have on the steering column have nothing to do with any rotation of the steering wheel at all.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok I think you guys are confusing yourselves haha.

Rufaro is saying that the cruise control stalk rotates with the wheel because it's wheel-mounted.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as normal snowbird01. What "other" one? Wiper? indicator?

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 7 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]299435[/snapback]</div>
    Phew! Thanks Tideland...I thought I broke it! :huh:

20. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hate having no AUX on the 05...

and why did we get a Seaside Pearl...
    now i wanted a White one...