1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omahajim @ Aug 7 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]299292[/snapback]</div>
    There ya go. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 7 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]299400[/snapback]</div>
    I have always thought there should be a standard for how certain controls are laid out in cars so that there wouldn't be confusion about them when you go from one moodel to the other. My mother-in-law spent all kinds of time trying to figure out how to turn the windshield wipers on in our Chrylser Pacifica once - it was dark and she couldn't see the control... Turned out it was indentical to the wiper control in her Jeep Cherokee - another Chrylser product. The cruise control on the Pacifica is on the face of the steering wheel just like my previous Explorer... but the on/off, set, accel, cancel, etc were all transposed.

Interesting that I rented a Dodge Caliber in San Diego about a week ago. The cruise control was identical to the Prius. Same location, same on/off button on the end, accel/resume up, coast/set down, tap back to cancel. I don't recall if it moved with the sterring wheel but it was cool that the control function was identical to my own car.

2. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abqrichard @ Aug 5 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]298084[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a problem keeping the car driving straight without any hands. It will follow the road.

Didn't do anything with the car. However, I too have also read quite a few threads that you describe. Not sure what the deal is.

Jimmy

3. molgrips

molgrips Member

You can adjust it on my UK 2006 :)

Why on earth are so many little things different? Daft..

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drift Motion @ Aug 7 2006, 10:16 PM) [snapback]299498[/snapback]</div>
    DICE iPod kit? It comes with AUX Input and that's what I'm using for my mp3 player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 7 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]299500[/snapback]</div>
    I always thought there was an unwritten standard. Like how most Japanese cars have it set up one way, how European cars have it setup another way and how American cars have theirs set up.

5. rebel6731

rebel6731 New Member

To me, it's finding this forum and becoming addicted to the car before I actually got it. Now that I have it, I'm totally a convert. Frequently find myself explaining how the car works versus "normal" cars. Was at a work party last weekend and took a co-worker's hubby for a drive. He's a car nut. Has a DeLoreon, a ''57 Chevy" and a few other cars. He loved this car and waas amazed at its intuitiveness. His wife, my co-worker, wants one. Unfortunately, for them, it doesn't make sense at this time, and I agree with them. I was going to buy a new car this year, so the numbers worked out. For them, it doesn't. At this time. But I have a convert and it's just a matter of the numbers working out for them.

Cheers

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The stock wheels. I took care of that problem.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebel6731 @ Aug 8 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]300019[/snapback]</div>
    Scary, innit?

I think I got the brain transplant from "Abby Normal." :eek:

8. Agontyr

Agontyr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 7 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]299276[/snapback]</div>
    OMG, I had one of those pushbutton Darts. Almost killed me one morning when I put it in 'Drive' and the whole button assembly fell down inside the dash. It was my first car and I just freaked out. LOL, thanks for pulling that memory out of the archives.

9. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too had the issue of the seat position for driving being just a bit awkward. I found a shop that customizes handicapped vans that pulled the drivers seat put in new rails and gained me 4" of leg room. Now I can move the seat to a very comfortable position and even change it when on a long trip to streatch. the cost was $225.00

10. buyaninsight

buyaninsight New Member

The Drivers...not just trying to flame but i mean Mm insight gets better mileage and is built for how i drive it (one person) not four people and lots of goofy tech features that drain the battery. If you really care as much as you say go to the extreme don't just buy somethign as a talking point.

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abqrichard @ Aug 4 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]298084[/snapback]</div>
    Please stay far, far away from me when you're attempting to drive your vehicle with NO HANDS! How dangerous is that?!?! I'm able to one-handedly change cds with no problem at all, and even that I'll admit is unsafe to do while driving (hence the 6-disc changer which I can toggle thru via the steering wheel buttons).

My annoyances with the Prius are very, very minor.

*Horn~ Yes it's wimpy, but it's also less wimpy sounding than that of my old 1996 Saturn. I'm still considering getting the Camry horn put in, but it's not that big a deal honestly. Just a bit weaker than I'd like.

*Fingerprints on the MFD~ Unpleasant to see on the screen, but they're easily wiped clean every week or so when I'm parked, with a dry, lint-free cloth (no special liquid or cleaning fluid required)

*A-piller visibility~ I have to constantly remind myself to double check to make sure there's no one hiding in that blind spot when I'm cruising a parking lot or anywhere else there might be pedestrians.

*Sun-visor cloth~ I'm worried that it's going to start showing wear and dirt very soon; I have a leather interior so I have no worries about cloth armrest(s) and seats showing wear, but I'm always putting down the visor for my am and pm commutes (I get to drive facing into the sun both ways) and I can see my fingerprints starting to show around the edges. I swear my hands aren't filthy!! :)

*Cruise control~ To me, it wasn't very intuitive. I loved the cc function in my Saturn, so coming from that to this stalk-function cc was definitely very odd and took a lot of getting used to. I've only used it a handful of times and still don't feel entirely comfortable with it. But oh well! :rolleyes:

12. Agontyr

Agontyr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buyaninsight @ Aug 9 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]300297[/snapback]</div>
    Quoted from the NYS DOT Clean Pass website FAQ: http://www.dot.state.ny.us/traffic/its/fil...leanpassfaq.pdf

"It is important to note that the model year 2005 and model year 2006 Honda Insights do not meet the eligibility criteria because they are not compliant with the SULEV emission requirements"

Sounds like a bit more than a talking point. If I'm buying a new hybrid, why should I buy one that doesn't meet my states' standards?

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buyaninsight @ Aug 9 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]300297[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. Some of us go further, not just 'before' (by buying a Prius), all the while lamenting the fact that rational, sustainable behaviour like walking to work is considered 'extreme'.

14. molgrips

molgrips Member

Yeah right, like a two seater is practical for me. If I had an insight it'd have to be a second car, and I only want one.

Plus they don't make them any more...

15. ken_sturrock

ken_sturrock New Member

I'm really glad that the Prius *does not* come with automatic door locks and headlights - That would be very annoying.

The car has really been great, my only annoyances are:

The "backwards" shifter that puts reverse in the wrong place - but I'm used to it.

The A/C system in auto would be okay if it would work in bi-level mode

The A/C system always switches to recirculated air

I also agree about the cloth in high wear places.

-Ken

16. buyaninsight

buyaninsight New Member

Walk to work was mentioned...heck i ride my bike unless im going farther than five miles or its >20F outside...

the reason the insight "doesn't meet the standards" is because Honda new they weren't continuing to produce it and stopped testing...and oh now 40 miles of road i can't drive.

I also notice the civic on there but none of the other toyota hybrids

EDIT: and read the rtest of the ndot FAQ...they might deny it but those lanes already are running as slow as anythign else because of how they run them...

17. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'd have to say its the lack of an "acceleration" mode on the cruise control. It has set and resume, but no accel. I'm just used to that feature as my last two cars had it. Anyway, small enough that i'm sure in a bit i won't even miss it.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 9 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]300298[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I got lazy, I added my comments in red. :rolleyes:

19. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 9 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]300553[/snapback]</div>
    Move the lever up to accelerate, down to slow.

20. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]300298[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, okay, uncle! In defense of myself, though, I am careful when I drive recklessly. I only do it on the open highway after I've positioned myself so that no other vehicles are near (it can be done here in New Mexico), with the steering wheel held in place by my knee, and with my eyes on the road to make sure I do not dangerously wander.