1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most annoying thing about the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlckPrius, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 16 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]304049[/snapback]</div>
    My '99 Solara had driver's side electric--one electric seat wouldn't add that much, I don't think. And there are more-adjustable manual seats out there. For me, the biggest problem is not being able to angle the seat upwards towards the front--I find that my leg get tired. Maybe I have longer than usual legs, but I find that my legs are a little scrunched up when my arms are a proper distance from the wheel, meaning my thighs are sort of hanging above the seat.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. Even the Scion tC has 8-way manual adjusting driver's seat.

3. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got to be that black plastic dash.

4. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Aug 28 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]310747[/snapback]</div>

I found the black plastic dash off-putting at first, but I'm OK with it now.

1) the seats are the worst of any car I've owned over the last 20 years.
    2) the nav system bites. I wish I'd gotten a car without one and just used my Garmin 2620. Examples of problems:
    a) I used it to find a particular store located off a major highway. Exiting, the nav system stuck me in an eternal loop in the cloverleaf: exiting to go north on a local road, then west back onto the highway, then south on the local road, east on the highway, then north... Of course, by then I saw the problem and self-navigated.
    B) it takes me to places that aren't there. Looking for an autoparts store, it tried to send me into the middle of a residential neighborhood (I knew the area, so didn't bother going in). Looking for another place, it tried to send me to the location where it had moved from FIVE YEARS EARLIER.
    c) ever see the coverage map? Terrible. Two years ago, I traveled cross-country and I stopped at this neat little restaurant for breakfast, and the Garmin guided me back to the Interstate via dirt roads. Seeing how bad the coverage is with the Toyota nav system, I doubt it could replicate that feat or the many other the Garmin performed.
    d) need I mention that it's disabled while the car's in motion?
    e) I've posted this next limitation elsewhere: not being able to search for a POI located off the current route. That is, if I'm already navigating from Point A to Point B, have it look X distance (the Garmin can search by 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2, 5... and other distances, I think) on either side of the route the entire distance from where you are to point B. Not a radius around you, but just off your current route.
    f) don't like how the night system is set. My Garmin has a sensor for ambient light and switches when it's dark; the Nav system uses your headlights. Here in NY, you must use your headlights while it's raining, meaning the nav system goes to night mode even if it's pretty bright out. Yes, I can lock the dashboard dimmer switch in its brightest setting, which switches off night mode (counterintuitive, I think), but I hate duct-tape fixes.

5. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, I have to modify my statement about the Nav system, but it doesn't change the substance. It does have an " find on route" function, but one that's so crippled as to be useless. It only finds POIs that are literally on the route! In other words, if you're zipping along the Interstate and need to find gas, unless there actually is a gas station on the Interstate, the Nav system won't find those gas stations located fifty yards off an exit! What an idiotic omission!

6. dthom71

dthom71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Garmin GPS units utilize information from the satellites to give you an elevation reading. My Street Pilot always shows elevation to be within 100 ft. of surveyed elevations posted along mountainous routes. The data is there - why didn't Toyota make it available on the MFD?

7. brjacobso

brjacobso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    only thing that has slightly disappointed me so far is the headwind vulnerability. I just have to watch it when I go faster on the highways

8. dachshund

dachshund New Member

I've learned quite a bit by reading this thread, good one. :)

1. The sun visor is too shallow. I'm 5'4 and in the late afternoon I'm blinded. I'm not sure I'd like a plastic extender, but is there an after-market replacement?
    2. There should be buttons to control the fan, on the dash and on the steering wheel. Since Toyota obviously doesn't want any buttons on the dash, then, please, on the steering wheel. The A/C on-off is useless on the steering wheel since I never want it on full blast. The buttons ON the dash are functions I rarely use like MPH/KPH.
    3. The horn is kind of embarrassing, but I guess it can be replaced.
    4. My knee bangs into the steering column when getting in & out. Again, I'm short, so I imagine this is the case for everyone.
    5. I would love to be able to dim the side mirror on the driver's side. At night I'm blasted by headlights in the next lane. In my old car I could prop up my arm a certain way to block that light with my hand. The Prius door doesn't have the same angles, my old trick isn't working. I now tilt the mirror down a bit so it's not that bad. Any ideas on this?
    6. I would like the passenger side mirror to turn downward automatically in reverse like the BMW. This is a great feature which I really miss. It was great to see the curb while parallel-parking.
    7. More motor info, such as RPM, added to the Energy Monitor screen.

And, of course, increasing supply would let the price drop so more people might consider getting this high-mileage, low-emission vehicle instead of the alternatives. I have friends who are car shopping, and this car is not as cost-effective as others. Toyota is not selling this vehicle to cure our global warming problem, but I wish more people would buy them.

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 4 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]314224[/snapback]</div>
    Can't you just use the voice recognition to tell the Navi "show gas stations" and have it show all upcoming gas station icons regardless of their proximity to the highway?? That's what I've always done so I can look ahead and see what gas station in an upcoming town I want to stop off at...

10. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Sep 5 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]314731[/snapback]</div>
    That's not what I'm looking for. The great part of the Garmin's functionality was underscored during a cross-country drive I took two years ago. Some examples:

I was driving through the Great Plains. South Dakota? Maybe, I don't recall. Got that horizon-stare, then looked down to see that I was barely at 1/4 tank. Oh, drat. But no problem. I used the Garmin to tell me where upcoming gas stations were. Since there were sometimes dozens of miles between exits, I needed to find one that was accessible . Seeing where they are around me doesn't help. I need to know the options up ahead, and to know I can get to them from where I am.

I wasn't GOING to those places, I was just passing nearby. I used this function often (NOT letting myself run that low on gas again) to find a quick stop-off during my drive.

Also, I would often travel quite a bit during the day, and didn't always make it to my destination. So, if I was 200 miles away and it was getting late, but I still wanted to drive for another 1/2 hour, I clicked on Accomodations and found places (sorted by distance) that were 30 miles or so away from my current position. And then I called up a couple in that area to find which had vacancies and what their rates are.

How can I do this with the Nav system? Best I can tell, I can't.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Sep 5 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]314721[/snapback]</div>
    3. Have you checked the alarm horn? It sounds more normal than our regular horn.

4. No, I have no problems with the steering column but I do wish it tilted just a tad more upwards.

5. Move the mirror outwards. IOW, tilt it away from the car so the light goes back to the driver behind haha. It also helps with minimising blindspots anyway.

6. I leave the passenger side tilted down permanently. It's not that far down but far enough so that I know where the back of the vehicle is when I reverse park into a stall. I shoulder check right anyway so it doesn't bother me that the mirror is somewhat unusable.

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Sep 5 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]314721[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered the Toyota Premium Sound Horn

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 5 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]314933[/snapback]</div>
    Let me get this straight as I've done something similar. We were on the freeway and my mother wanted to know if they had a certain pie at Baker's Square. I went to DEST, entered the name and got a list, going from closest to further away. I clicked on one and called them using the green phone button.

Is that what you want to do? If so, you can, but it's a couple of steps, and you will need to cut the purple speed sensor wire (and install a switch).

14. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 6 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]315206[/snapback]</div>

Not at all.
    The point is, I don't KNOW the name of a place to search in. I'm on a programmed route, hundreds of miles from my destination, and I need to find something.

If it's gas, I need it ASAP. The Garmin can find a gas station located right off the route I'm taking, or within +/- a certain distance of it, that I choose. I don't know the names of the towns ahead, and I don't know if there's an exit to them. The Garmin can tell me where the gas stations are coming up, filtered down by their proximity to my travel.

Similary, if I want to stop for the night, the Garmin will show me a list of the upcoming motels--and not those in a circle around me, but filtered down according to the route I'm already taking. If I'm going to travel 250 miles straight west to my destination but want to stop for the day in about 1/2 hour, I don't care that there's a motel 20 miles to the north. I'd like one another 30 or so miles to the west, close to the Interstate I'm on so I can pop back onto it within 5 or so minutes the next morning, and not after winding my way along local roads for 30-40 minutes.

15. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First of all I love this car!

Second my biggest disappointment is the nav.

Third, I hate when I just barely touch the driver window button and it goes all of the way down. Then goes all of the way up. Seems too touchy!

As far as the cloth armrests and center console. I agree totally. That is why I bought leather covers for all of the above. Now I don't worry about the cloth soiling and wearing thin.

16. rich502

rich502 New Member

The rear visibility indeed. Also the beeping when in reverse, tho I've read there is a combination of key strokes to turn it off. It's secret tho. Other than that, I love my Prius, which I've had for 2 years now.

17. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rich502 @ Sep 6 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]315569[/snapback]</div>
    A little searching and it's easy to find.

18. avalpert

avalpert New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Aug 3 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]297153[/snapback]</div>
    That's why i bought a second for my wife

19. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. Thin plastics make it all feel kinda cheap and loose. Mostly on the dash and console.
    2. Non-telescopic steering wheel (huge bummer since I'm tall)
    3. Audio system could provide more song info, be quicker when browsing MP3's
    4. Non-intuitive gas tank (if it says 11.9 gallons, it should hold 11.9 dammit)
    5. Doesn't fly or go to space.

20. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 6 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]315229[/snapback]</div>
    Select 'freeway mode' either by voice or icon. The next three exits are listed along with their services and distances.