1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most comfortable seat? (replacement)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Mar 29, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The more I sit in the seats the more I dont like them. In fact they are hurting my back. I have tried to look at Recaros, Sparcos, Corbeaus and Cobras but the dealers have such limited stock on hand. You may get to sit in 2 of the 20 seats the company makes. They are usually not the high end seats.

Recaro makes an orthoped but one seat is 2400. I would rather have a nice seat then a hurting back. Im tall at 6'3'' and 205lbs. I prefer a big wide soft seat.

Any suggestions for new seats? I need to sit in it before I buy it. They dont take returns of the seats.

[​IMG]

2. gman11377

gman11377 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have no input on this, but am very curious as to what you find. Also keep in mind that I think you lose the side airbag as it is on the seat. I have had some very nice cars with very nice seats, and I think that the toyota seats are the worst that I ever sat in. I miss my Prelude with recaros, or my GLI with factory leather heated and cooled and adj side bolsters. Fairly big myself 6'1" 207ish. Dont care if power or manual, just need adjustability and support. Hell, the CRX that I had twenty years ago had better seats.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had 1 Recaro in a mazda once and it was brilliant. If you go with the Recaros you can take them out of the prius and put them into your next car too.

Unfortunately the Recaro I had was stolen. I'm not unhappy with the Prius seats but may replace them, not sure.

Let us know how it goes if you start the trend to Recaro seats in Prius.

4. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the prius seat's are a bit hard, usually when I go up to oakland or to tempe, the two places I travel. Ill mix and drive either prius, or my 2000 civic, the seat's are much more comfortable in it beilive it or not. PRius is good for city and sometimes for travels, but yeah lower back get's tired..and im young.

5. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is an update to my journey. I went to several junkyards yesterday. I sat in honda and volvo seats. The volvo leather s80 seat is a dream. I need to measure to see if it will clear the door and center console. If so I will buy a power volvo s80 leather seat for 250. You can then buy leather re-covers on FLEAbay for a fair amount. I will have the m recovered to match my car. I will also paint the rails gray to match my carpet.

The volvo seat adjust on 6 levels making it a dream seat for the prius. The honda seats were nice too if you dont want all the hassle. I sat in accord and civic seats. Both were nice and much better then the prius-hell seats.

I will post more updates later.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, generally Volvo seats are great. When reading car magazines' reviews and road tests of Volvo cars, you'll frequently see a comment like "the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in".

I guess a question I have is whether one would be able to install the Volvo seat so that its side airbag works and the sensors under the Prius seat work as intended.

7. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It must be a new Volvo seat. I had a 2000 Volvo S80 and it was a terrible seat. Sure it was cushy, but it had virtually no lumbar support whatsoever. I hated that seat.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I'm really surprised. Both because of what I've read and experienced personally and because that's the very seat that ProblemChild liked. And I would have thought that the one area that would have been satisfactory to all would have been the Volvo's lumbar support and the ability to adjust it.

But one thing I've noticed about people and their backs is that it can be a highly idiosyncratic thing. Whether it's a seat or a mattress, what works for one may not work for someone else, or what works for most will not work for all. In my case, in all the Volvos I've sat in since the late 60s, including the one Volvo I owned (a 1995 850 Sportwagon), I thought the seats were terrific. But in the realm of mattresses, it's been real hit or miss for me. Mostly miss, as I'm on my 4th high priced mattress in 10 years, still trying to find one that works best for me.

9. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it may be an idiosyncratic thing. Best seats I ever had were in my 1994 BMW 530i. Sheer heaven.

10. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I saw a pair of M3 seats on fleabay for 1500.

11. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another update...

I went to Bellflower foam and fabric and had them custom make a contoured a piece of foam to fit my back. I stuffed it under the sheepskins. The seat is now better then OEM but not perfect. I also placed 6 big washers under the front seat bolts. It lifted the seat about 3/4". The front seat bolt is metric and 10mmx40 thread. You can buy soft foam blocks and trim them with electric turkey knives.

I found a wrecking yard that has all kinds of like new seats. Vandsautodismantlers.com
    They have volvo seats for 600/pair.

Speedfink likes this.
  12. texnet

texnet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Which specific Volvo (model/year) seat do you think would fit the Prius?

13. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The newer the better. They measure the same width in the seat cushion but longer from front to back (more leg support) and higher in the back (10 inches) for taller people. The junk yards want 300 each. I went and sat in one and its pure heaven.

14. don_69sbo

don_69sbo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Aren't the bottom measurements (where the seat rails bolt into the floor)the important ones or do people use custom seat brackets?

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When my GF was looking for a car a few years ago, we were sitting in a lot of different cars because I usually have issues with headroom. I thought at that time that the Volvo S80 had the best seats of any of the cars we tried. My GF ended up buying a Toyota Avalon because we were not impressed with the reports on the 'net about the Volvo S80 reliability.

I also wanted to add that Recaro offers seats with Side Air Bags now, but I do not know how much they are (I assume they are many $).

I'm actually ok with the Prius seat except for the lack of height/tilt adjustment.

16. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    UPDATE .............

I went to 9 more junkyards today and the Volvo seats are by far the most comfortable. I really like the Volvo V70 seats. They had some seats that were like new but would not sell them. The seats were electric black leather with all electric motor adjustments. Boy I would have bought them on the spot for any price but he wanted to sell the whole car (no thanks).

Talk about a travesty.........

You have volvo cars stacked 3 high for 300 yards and every seat is left sitting in the elements ruining the leather. They probably had over 500 seats and all were destroyed from the sun and rain etc.

I did find out one piece of interesting info. The seats have airbags and can be adapted to work in the prius. Thats a huge bonus for the paranoid among us.

Nice seats range from 200-450 ( 6500 at the dealer new).

17. AlanInAustin

AlanInAustin Junior Member

Have any of you tried the new "LiquiGel" seats Toyota has for Prius? What were your impressions? (I think they're only for leather seats.)

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gulf States Port Installed Leather w/LiquiGel

Hi Alan,

The LiquiGel is part of the after-factory, port-installed leather upholstery available in the Gulf States. I've read some good things about them in terms of comfort.

I know that there are quite a few Texas or Gulf States PriusChatters who have them. If you don't get enough responses to your question, maybe you should start a new thread with your question in the title.

Good luck.

19. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in Dallas, would like better seats.

HTC One V ? 2

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Found a Prius online with this pix:

[​IMG]

Not really what I'm looking for, but looks more comfortable...

Would like to know more about this Volvo seat swap...i HATE my '08G2T seats.