1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Consumers Don't Know about EV Incentives

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most consumers don't know about electric vehicle incentives, survey finds - San Jose Mercury News

So, they're saying it's not so much folks WOULDN'T buy one . . . but rather, the impression is that initial costs are too high, if I'm reading it right.

2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I know it well. When people tell me how crazy I am, that I bought a $50k Rav4ev, I said... what?

When I did the math for them, they said that is crazy. They could not believe that my Rav4ev cost (after Gov incentives, Toyota/dealer discounts) the same as a fully loaded Rav4 (v6) with much cheaper fuel price.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a pickle we are in: everyone thinks hybrids get incentives (which they don't) and no one knows PHEV's get incentives (which they do).

But seriously, the poll might be more helpful if they interviewed "likely voters" or folks who had some interest. I agree it is true EV's have the repuation of being expensive, even though costs have dropped and incentives are huge compared to cost for some vehicles.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well for purposes of "electric vehicles" - I thought they meant both plug in's as well as 100% "EV's" ... after all ... isn't that why GM dreamed up the 'Extended Range Electric Vehicle' name for what is in fact (Volt) a plug in? Both subsets of "EV's" get incentives. They both get money back to the customer based on battery size, as well as home charging equipment.