Most decent way to run your 115V essentials out of Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Krzysiek_KTA, Jun 7, 2020.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the spinning machine's sine waveform should be clean. The 'garbage' part should refer to just their frequency and voltage.

2. m8547

m8547 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There's a settings screen or something with a button at the bottom to turn it off.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    some pics of much better and more efficient setup to connect 100W Inverter to Prime. it cost 35$ or so(Quick 175 premium Battery Cable Assembly REAL 2 Gauge AWG w lug/terminal/clamp | eBay) and pretty worth it.
    The thicker cables makes way much difference (less load on inverter), not mentioning the quick coupling convenience
    Hope some folks here will benefit from my posts.

Brgds

K

Attached Files:

1x1, phlack and jerrymildred like this.
  4. phlack

phlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    So I just ordered an inverter. Seeing how hurricane season is here (and I'm in Florida), I'd like something to power my fridge, which is just around the corner from the garage. It should arrive tomorrow.

One question (for now): Does the negative lead (from the inverter) go onto the negative terminal of the 12v battery, or should it go on a grounding area on the frame? The pics from Krzysiek_KTA show the battery, but someone else said to do it on the frame (white area with black stripes?). The manual also says to do that if the 12V needs to be jumped.

Thanks! (and thanks to Krzysiek_KTA for this thread!)

2020 Prius Prime.

5. m8547

m8547 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you use the frame or the second negative terminal slightly farther back from the battery (shown in Krzysiek_KTA's recent photos), the car can measure the current and control the DC-DC converter to supply the power. It might work on the actual negative terminal of the battery too, but it would be interesting to test and see if there is any difference in how the car behaves.

Personally I'd go with the second negative terminal (the one that's not actually on the battery).

phlack likes this.
  6. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OP,

When operating: Twist your DC cables as much as is allowable without hurting anything....

Rob43

7. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you remember what lug size you ordered? 5/16 or 3/8? Mine is a Bestek 1000W inverter but it's in storage right now. Thanks!