1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Gen 4 Facts (way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    When you switch off the vehicle, if you pull the headlights stalk towards you as if to flash full beam, it will switch on the headlights "follow me home" function, and the headlights will remain on for 30 seconds, allowing you to get out and lock the car and walk away, whilst avoiding stray objects if it very dark, before switching themselves off.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh. The rear seat heat ducts look a bit different from past Prii. Older ones were thin and flat and they were centred. Thanks for the photos!

3. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what is the full sequence. I assume that lights were on before you switch off the car. Do you pull the stalk towards you after (or before) you switch off?

4. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    No - lights don't need to be on. Basically, when the car is off (at any time), pulling the headlights stalk will turn them on for 30 seconds. You can then lock up or anything you want - they just switch off automatically.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd - if it's dark, mine stay on after I turn off, and stay on for about a minute (+/-?) after I lock the doors.

6. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You can change that with Carista -- and perhaps with the settings menu as well.

Here is a screen shot of the lighting options for my car confirmed by a Carista email.

image.png

pilotgrrl and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is different from the North American and Australian versions. For us, we have dusk-sensing headlamps. Our "Follow-Me-Home" function consists of the headlamps staying on x seconds after turning off the car (or after closing the doors if the doors are opened). 30 seconds is the default. If you wish to turn them off sooner, simply press the LOCK button on the key fob. (Double click if you haven't locked the car. Once if you've already locked the car).

In other words, the exterior lights will all stay on after you've turned off the car.

From your description, it appears the lights go out after you turn off the car unless you do the headlamp stalk trick.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh - I assumed everyone had automatic headlights on/off - another local anomaly. I like it the way mine is - my previous Fords did it like Colin's.

9. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My UK Prius has dusk sensing headlamps.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Oh well.

I elected to turn off the "Ffollow me Home" feature.

I would have liked to turn it on every now and then with a tug of the stalk.

One thing I did notice is that the head lights do not go off automatically when I turn off the car. They stay on until the instant I open the car door.

11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not so much and obscure fact, but rather an oddity is the clear plastic protector Toyota has applied at the rear of inside back door sill.

My front door sill showed wear very quickly, but I cannot imagine why Toyota saw fit to install tnat protective piece where they did.

Edit: Added this picture. "Sill" might not be the best word to use-- it's inside the back door area, though.

image.jpeg

#71 ATHiker, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    alanclarkeau and Coast Cruiser like this.
  12. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had a duplicate post here but I cannot delete it so rather than leave it, I will take the opportunity to note that there is slot in the bottom edge of the rear hatch.

This was no doubt intended as a place to grab the hatch so you can pull it down, but I think you could own the car for a very long time before noticing it. It doesn't help really.

Edit: Added a picture. On further reflection this might help if one is a bit shorter than I am.

image.jpeg

#72 ATHiker, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Another obscure fact is that if you press the power on button when driving (don't ask) the display screen will prompt you to hold itI in (or press it twice, not sure) if you need to make an emergency stop.

I didn't try that second step out.

14. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm always concerned with preserving the battery? So I just turn my headlights off manually before I get out of the car. Or, like Hiker said, you can adjust the auto-off timer in the big screen settings menu. (Thanks Hiker.) I have mine set at the minimum of 30 seconds, just in case I forget to turn the lights off. Same with the interior lights; set at the minimum of 7.5 seconds.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's to catch any gravel, grit, sand etc to stop it sand-blasting that edge. It's been on my last ½ dozen cars in various guises.

ATHiker likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The US did not have auto on/off (just auto-off) for 2010 and 2011. In 2012, only Four and Five had automatic headlights while Two and Three trim levels continued with auto-off.

Weird fact: In Canada, Toyota doesn't call it "auto-off headlights" but rather "automatic headlight cancel feature".

So it's a regional thing. That's cool. Didn't know that's the way your dusk-sensing headlamps worked.

Yeah it's a Toyota thing. They'll keep the lights on until you open the door. The problem is if you exit on the passenger side. (e.g. you get in on the passenger, turn on the radio and then leave, as you cycle through from ACC to IG-ON, your automatic headlights will come on if you're in a parking garage or somewhere dark, then as you leave, your lights stay on).

You can always report your own post and we can deal with it :)

Not a fan of the new door-close grab handles. I find I don't have enough torque to swing the door close in one motion like I can with the Gen 2 or Gen 3 "underhand" type grab handles. On the Gen 4, I have to swing it down and then close it by pushing down on the hatch, which defeats the purpose of a grab handle (to avoid soiling your hands)

Tyfly and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tend to agree with you on that!

Whiteyprius and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    IIRC, Gen 3 had two of these one on each side (or was it the Prius+ ?)

19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Time delay is adjustable on the Nav screen menus under vehicle settings.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember if the Prius+ has it but the Gen 3 has two of these. Oddly enough, the Prius Prime will have two grab handles.