1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Gen 4 Facts (way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Nov 5, 2015.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh - that might be what mine are. I don't think I've touched the headlight switch since I bought the car, it seems to do it all automatically.

It seems that if I have the switch in AUTO and the car is running, and it's:
    1) daylight - the Daylight Running Lights turn ON;
    2) night - the DRLs are OFF, and headlights turn ON; (I've noticed a few times that at dusk they have come on and then off again as I, say, go over the crest of a hill)
    3) if I drive under a darker overpass or into a carpark etc, the headlights turn ON;
    4) if I turn the car OFF, the headlights stay ON - though I've not tried staying there for an extended period - and when I exit, they stay ON for 30 seconds, but I think I noticed that the tail-lights were OFF - I'll check that again sometime.

[It also does Auto Low beam, but that's another subject]

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the NA version. (All lights stay on for No. 4 for the set time)

3. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Yeah - we seem to have a mix of the two.

We have dusk sensing headlamps too (in fact there is no off setting at all just an auto setting) however when you switch off the engine the lights go out and to get the follow me home you have to pull the headlight stalk.

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems odd - with many features, why they have different versions all around the world?

I notice in the manual, with "Customisable Features", there is an option of "Time elapsed before the headlights turn off" - default is 30sec, but options are "OFF", "60sec" or "90sec"). I'm not sure if that relates to the feature on my car only, or if it's something which could change "follow-me-home" to "auto-off"? Maybe check what your manual says, or ask your dealer.

6. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Yeah - not that I can see (our follow me home is at page 278 in the manual). The follow me home delay is customisable by the dealer according to the manual - but it still requires the stalk pull to activate it - no "off" setting, as it's not automatic in the first place.

https://myportalcontent.toyota-europe.com/Manuals/toyota/PRIUS_OM_Europe_OM47A31E.pdf?_ga=1.75711445.1981238771.1470754482

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, looks completely different to my manual - you do get a bigger manual, ours is only 540 pages, your is 704.

8. Thomas Grubb

Thomas Grubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There seem to be 3 stages for the headlights 1) DRL, 2) side lights on the top of the headlights + tail lights...dash lights don't dim 3) main headlights come on and dash dims. We can adjust when the lights come on, and also the auto-off timing.

I also like the way the interior light fades up when you approach the car!

Congrats on your car Alan btw - at least 2 in Australia!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, is there some sort of regulation or historic courtesy/custom that makes "headlight off" the default setting with optional Follow-Me-Home? Or is it just the way this feature evolved so now it's the standard. It's really cool to learn about the regional differences.

Over here, it's two separate features. Auto-off will turn off when the driver's door is opened (or some manufacturers have it when the engine is turned off) while automatic headlights will come with a delay/timer off.

Hmm, our dash will dim with #2 (if it's dark outside). If it's day, it'll remain in DAY mode. (but will immediately darken when you go under a bridge and immediately brighten on the other side if #2 or #3 is activated during the day. Pretty nice feature).

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Thomas, I think we have the best combination of the headlight permutations. I actually haven't seen another Gen4 on the road yet. I had tint & paint protection yesterday, will get some photos.

[You'd recognize my AVATAR too - my first car, an Aussie icon.]

11. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually, after you have the car lowered, press the Toyota emblm. On older models, there was practically no window sill, but on the 4th gen, you will tend to brush the sill. However, if you really want to not have your fingers contact anything, just palm the emblam.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just pull the hatch down by the spoiler.

Wipe fingers on pants.

Go on with life. :LOL:

KnightRider2016, pjm877 and booke02 like this.
  13. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The emblem, being a bit lower, is actually easier to reach and is actually a great leverage point. Give it a try.

By the way, in Gen 2 , there was a bit of give when you used the spoiler as a handle. I don't know if anyone ever detached a spoiler by using it as a handle for closing the hatch, but it felt like detachment was a possibility.

#93 aforkosh, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Coast Cruiser, krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tut Tut.

SM-G928T ?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where you been, F-Dawg??? Good to hear from you. Grab a drink, pull up a chair....

Frederickdawg likes this.
  16. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm trying to use my smart phone less these days. Find it makes me more idle and less productive. Lol

SM-G928T ?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  17. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think this is too obscure, but I just noticed the hybrid system voltage is down from Gen.3 by 50v. Gen.3 was 650v and Gen.4 is 600v.

Also, Toyota gives a peak HV battery output rating on Gen.3, which is 27kW or 36HP roughly, and Gen.4 has no official rating. I've been trying to find it out since Toyota introduced it.

Attached Files:

18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Owner's Manual, page 8:

"Approximately five hours after the hybrid system is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check, it does not indicate a malfunction."

I wondered what that growling sound was in the middle of the night!

ATHiker likes this.
  19. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For those of you that have installed aftermarket seat covers, you may want to see pages 36-38. It mentions a "passenger seat cushion airbag."

Also "side airbags", for each front seat (illustration page 36 & 38). I can't tell by the illustration exactly where those are.

"Do not use seat accessories which cover the parts for the SRS side airbag and seat cushion airbag as they may interfere with inflation of the airbags. Such accessories may prevent the side airbag and seat cushion airbag from activating correctly, disable the system, or cause the side airbags and seat cushion airbag to inflate accidentally resulting in death or serious injury."

wrprice likes this.
  20. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    New to me: the navigation system will "trace" where you've been on the map, whether under guidance or not, placing little dots like a trail of breadcrumbs. It's probably documented somewhere, making it not "obscure", but I'd love to hear from someone who has used this feature and knows the expected use/purpose of it.

prius-g4-navroutetrace.jpg

robsnyder20 likes this.