1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Gen III Facts (way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was under the impression full leather seats started at the fullsize luxury level and not at entry-level luxury cars. The synthetic leather maybe smoother for sure (and more synthetic leather and less vinyl) to better match the real leather in those models.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wood yes, leather everywhere no, not the RX 330s I owned.

1 person likes this.
  3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very few cars with leather seats have full leather--on most it's just the seating surface.

4. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just looked at my '08 IS 350--the IS has a standard, premium, and luxury level for interior items. The top two get you real wood trim and ventilated/heated seats, and as best I can determine my ventilated (perforated) seats have leather on the sides and rear as well (much of the back of the seat is hard plastic). A small portion of the door trim above the arm rest also looks like leather. I've seen some really nice vinyl that looks and feels close to leather, but this does look like the real thing. It all depends on the package, but I don't have any problem with it being only on the seat surface if that's the option. The sides, rear, and doors don't provide any advantage while the seat surface does have a little better comfort than vinyl in cold and hot.

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly.

6. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To 32kcolors & jay man2,

Are you both sure that the Lexus uses REAL wood? I'll explain why I'm asking this but
    I know I'm going to speak of a completely different animal here, so don't yell at me too loudly please. Just this past Wednesday at the car auction I drive at, I was in an Infinity (Nissan's high end car---like Lexus is to Toyota & Acura is to Honda) when a piece of "wooden" trim fell off the passenger door panel. Looking at all the wood trim in the car, one would think it was real wood, but with the piece that fell off now in my hand (the glue had let go) I could tell it was only a very thin piece of PLASTIC (by the way it could be twisted without breaking or cracking). So does anyone other than Rolls-Royce & maybe Mercedes really use REAL wood in their cars any more?

As an aside, the week before, I was driving an Infinity EX35G (similar in shape to the Nissan Murano) that had a very interesting (optional?) feature. You could press a "camera" button & get a split screen display on its MFD. On the right side of the screen was a top-view diagram of the car with small live-action camera views of all 4 sides of the car. Which ever of the 4 views you selected would give you a much larger version of that view on the left side of the screen. For the rear camera lens I assume it's in a similar location as on the Prius (license plate area under hatch handle) but I didn't check. The front camera was in the middle of the inverted V portion of the oval shaped Infinity emblem on the grill & the 2 side-view cameras were in the bottoms of the outside rear-view mirrors.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Lots of car manufacturers still use real wood--I've had BMWs and Mercedes with real wood. Porsche also offers real wood trim as an option (although I don't think it belongs in a Porsche interior). Keep in mind that it's a very thin veneer, that's glued over plastic (OK--perhaps not on a Rolls:p).

8. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The plood (plastic wood) in my Highlander was just as nice as the bird's eye maple veneer in my RX 330, if not nicer.

9. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For many years, Mercedes glued the veneer to an aluminum backing which would deform in the event of impact, and not splinter the wood. I expect all the solutions now still maintain that principle in the event of an impact.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, Lexus does indeed use real wood in all their vehicles. We've confirmed this over at Club Lexus many times. A forum member actually saw a wrecked Lexus with wood splinters. You're talking about Infiniti, which may or may not use real wood. Acura is lowest end relative to Lexus and Infiniti so don't bet on it either.

P.S. The Lexus wood trim parts are extremely expensive, $700-900 per piece! I was extremely careful not to break the clips while removing them when installing the Vaistech ipod unit in a RX350 and a GX470.

11. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whew!
    I just read this WHOLE thread trying to find the answer to the question:
    What is HUD? In a earlier post someone posted about it and I had a heck of a time figuring out what it is!
    Ironically, as I was on the last page of my reading marathon, a friend called and when I told him what I was doing and trying to find out he laughingly told me it stands for Heads-up-display.

:roll:

I guess I learned a lot anyway!

Obscure fact contribution: This car comes with a chat board where you can get any and all questions answered, find like minded others who lose sleep over eta dates, and a willing audience to inflict car pictures on. :D

Robert Holt and geekaren like this.
  12. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HUD = Heads Up Display. puts certain info right on windshild so to speak...We dont have it on our models in the states. Overseas only so far .

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's 25? On our Gen II it's 24mph. Any lower it drops out. Interesting

14. onedown

onedown New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: What is Gadgetdad talking about here?

Could someone put up a picture that demonstrates this?
    I don't get what Gadgetdad is saying.
    I have an IPhone so a picture of that would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. It's an Infiniti. I've seen Nissan use wrapping for the Murano's "chrome" grille. It's not even metal. Just plastic with aluminium foil. I was shocked when I found out.

Lexus uses real wood. They used to be chunks of wood. Now they're thin pieces with an aluminium backing.

It's called "AroundView Monitor". If you can't park a car with that, nothing will save you :D. The LX570 and the new HS250 will have front mounted cameras so that you can see around trees/hedges or walls if you're coming out of a side road or side lane and your view is obstructed.

There are two types of leather for the IS. The standard leather and the premium leather (which you have). The premium leather is noticeably better and softer. The standard leather kinda looks like one you'd find on a Camry.

16. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not to be too picky, but it's Head Up Display... singular (probably because most drivers only have one). :D

17. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, speak for yourself! Us five-headed space chicks deserve recognition too! :alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:

18. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You call it what you want but this works for me
    "
    Heads-up (or head up) display screen began to be used in aircraft in the 1960s. These project images and information on to the aircraft windscreen and can be viewed by the pilot while still keeping half an eye on the flightpath ahead - so long as his head is up of course. The first citations of that are from an advert in the New York Times, 1967, for a "Heads-up display", and in this definition from the Toronto Globe & Mail, 1978:
    "There are experiments with what pilots call a ‘heads-up display’ that projects vital information on to the windshield."

19. nemrut

nemrut New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

heh..that sounds almost Medieval ;-)

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a piece of fabric that's sewed to the driver's seat inboard. It's not on the passenger side for some reason. I thought it was to prevent small items from being caught in the seat rails or something. Anyone have any idea?