1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prime Facts (Way Out There)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interior
    • The background at the top of the 11.6" HD screen changes with the time of day. At night, the Prime at the top of the screen will turn on its headlights.
    • The jack for the car is stored under the rear seat on the left side
    • There are 3 LEDs on the dashboard to indicate charging status. One of them blinks if Remote Climate is active.
    • Pressing and holding the EV/HV button will put the car in CHARGE mode
    • Pressing and holding Ch. up or down on the steering wheel while listening to the radio will tune the audio system to the next available radio station (scan) - source: martydallas.
    • The Prius PHV in the Energy Monitor in the European-spec cars has US-spec wheels.
    • The front passenger seat is mounted higher than the front passenger seat in a Gen 4 Touring trim level.
    • The dashboard trim around the piano black pieces and the 11.6” screen has a stainless steel effect (Toyota calls it satin chrome) vs. silver painted on the Gen 4.
    • If screen beeps are enabled, on 11.6” MFD models, the volume up/down buttons are the only ones that don’t beep
    • On CarPlay equipped models, if CarPlay is in use, it only uses the top half of the screen with the bottom half displaying the climate screen or native audio screen
    • The front cupholder rubber bases have tabs for easy removal for cleaning (credit: evpv)
    • The “Departure” and “Start” arrow icons on the charging schedule on the 11.6” screen are covering exactly 2.5 hours on the timetable. The “Departure” arrow will end at the time you selected (with the top of the arrow at 2.5 hours prior) while the “Start” will start at the time you selected and the bottom of the arrow is 2.5 hours later.

upload_2016-4-21_18-15-58.png

Exterior
    • On models with the solar panel roof, the shark fin antenna is black. On models without the solar panel roof, the shark fin antenna is body-colour.
    • There are two close-assist handles for the rear hatch vs. one handle on the Gen 4 Liftback
    • The rear hatch is made out of carbon fibre reinforced plastic.
    • The double wave rear window is partly for design and partly for aerodynamics.
    • The front of the car mimics the Mirai. Toyota wanted the premium alt-fuel cars to have a similar theme and the Prius Prime and Mirai are the two leading examples
    • The front bumper consists of 3 separate pieces for cheaper replacement should the owner only hit one corner of the bumper
    • Do not replace the RHS reverse/backup light immediately after the vehicle has been driven. Access to the bulb is close to the exhaust pipe and the exhaust pipe may be extremely hot.
    • The European alloy wheels have a grey painted section that match the size of the disc brake rotors.
    • The high beams at reduced intensity are the forward-facing parking lights
    • The front door glass and the front quarter glass are water-repellent
    • The front quarter glass and rear quarter glass are tinted darker than the main door glass
    • 2021+ models have 4 mini vortex generators on the top of the wing mirror caps
    • The B-pillar and fore of the wing mirror plastic trims were glossy from 2017-2020 and matte black for 2021+

Miscellaneous
    • Toyota recommends adding 20L/5.3 gal of fuel every 12 months. The car will remind you even if the tank isn't empty. “No new fuel has been added recently. Please refuel” is displayed on the multi- information display when the power switch is turned to ON mode. For added clarity, a total of at least 20L over a 12 month period should be added (it doesn't have to be 20L at once apparently)
    • LDA camera image(s) will be saved when a frontal collision occurs. (kinda like a crude/basic built in dash cam) Source: Radar emblem | Page 2 | PriusChat
    • The Prime’s key fob has a satin chrome accent to match the interior trim accent (the regular Gen 4 Prius’ fob has a piano black accent)
    • The Consumption Screen resets when you switch between metric and imperial units
    • 2020+ models have the clock settings menu in the MID between the "Info" menu and the "compass" menus (i.e. 2nd menu option). 2017-2019 models have the clock settings buried within the "Settings" menu
    • Toyota changed the J1772 cap/cover handle from a solid saddle-shaped handle to a hollow D-ring type handle.
    • You can adjust LTA/LDA with or without steering assist in the settings (and with or without Lane Trace for TSS-P 2.0). Since the system incorporates all 2 or 3 features and the LTA/LDA button on the steering wheel turns them all on or off, you can go into the Settings menu on the MID to customise your level of assistance for LTA/LDA. Source: Lane Tracing Assist in Safety Sense 2.0 | PriusChat

#1 Tideland Prius, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool, i want one. with 5 seats and a flat hatch.;)

Bluegrassman, briank and inferno like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Self adjusting day/night mfd lighting & headlights - Our hybrid Lexus SUV, manufactured in mid '05 & sold as one of the 1st models released (06) has the same feature. So it took only ONE decade for Toyota to pass on its Lexus tech to the bread & butter Toyota division ;) .
    That's like the fob tech .... our 04 Prius was suddenly big news to other companies many years later, as other manufacturers adopted smart key tech. You hear commercials occasionally, of WAY more expensive car manufacturers bragging about stuff that the Prius already had, many years ago.
    go prius!

Data Daedalus and Wolfie52 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you saying prime gets the credit card fob?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Heck, in Japan - they even offered a watch fob for the GenIII Prius .... so it's not a question of whether it will have it, it's a question of whether we get it.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm, I think you're thinking of something different. I'm not talking about the MFD dimming with the headlights at night or staying bright during the day (Our Canadian spec cars have always functioned that way).

What I'm saying is that the little Prius graphic on the top turns on its lights just like the Model S does on its screen. It's totally a page out of Tesla's book.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmmm, the graphic posted .... It's hard to see what's being described .... i guess that's why we call it 'most obscure'

Data Daedalus and Tideland Prius like this.
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a little odd it looks like a Lexus front end. The black front part has a little hour glass look that breaks up the Mirai Maw. Or is it me?

9. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd rather have manually operated lights. Maybe I'd like to go "stealth mode" for some reason. Probably better that the masses get automatic lights though, for safety reasons.

10. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My wife's Ford Escape has this neat icon feature. Turning on the driving lights is also shown on the icon.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool! I love it when manufacturers include little subtle details like that.

12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Personally,I have never felt over-worked when I had to manually turn on the headlights.

But one addition I would like to see is: The headlights come on whenever the windshield wipers are turned on. Visibility is so poor in a rain storm, and when a car approaches without its headlights on, it becomes very difficult to see them.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a new law in mass. if your windshield wipers are on, your headlights have to be on. i would have preferred they force the manufacturers to do it at some point, and grandfather the older cars. only because i have a poor memory.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  14. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    New Hampshire has required headlights on when windshield wipers are in use for several years now. A lot of people still ignore this important safety requirement.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I remember seeing signs about wipers on, headlights on decades ago, but I can't remember if it was for New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our 10yr ol' suv hybrid RX has both auto wipers AND headlights. Been so long - I don't even know where - right off the top of my head where the manual mode switch is

I never even thought about the notion that the headlights should necessarily be on when it's raining. Sometimes you have just one teeny wet cloud right overhead & yet it can be bright & sunny otherwise.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That law is over 20 years old here in Minnesota.

18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What about the situation when the sun is out, but it's still raining. I think the south calls it "the devil beating his wife".

We would go through a lot of bulbs in the PNW since it rains half the days, and on the days it does rain, it's very sporadic. The lights would be going on and off all the time.

I still like the ability to control the lights manually. There are times I would rather not have the lights on. It's tough to play the game Commandos when you can't turn off the headlights and sneak around.

19. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your headlights are still required to be on. All those rainbows are distracting, your lights being on help me see you.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  20. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Isn't it the law in Oregon? I thought so.