1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prime Facts (Way Out There)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 21, 2016.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The weird part of the instructions in the manual is that when mute is used [ MODE ], they also use the term "resume." I can see why some might think that mute = pause when reading that page (116).

HPrimeAdvanced and benagi like this.
  2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From what I read in the manual ("Prime Wide Navigation manual", p. 89) the pause feature does indeed include the ability to rewind about 15 minutes worth of buffer. This is only on AM/FM, not XM satellite radio for some reason.

HPrimeAdvanced and benagi like this.
  3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I hold the MODE button down on the steering wheel for approximately 2 seconds, and it PAUSES the radio. If I tap either the up or down volume arrow, the broadcast resumes where I left off. This feature clears the "cache" if radio or car are turned off. I do this many times every day. On the other hand, I don't know how to simply MUTE the radio (where program keeps playing, with no sound). I currently just hit the radio ON/OFF button to achieve this. I have an Advanced which might have different control characteristics than an other model.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

benagi likes this.
  4. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Page 116 of the Navigation manual says pressing and holding the mode button mutes (and resumes) AM, FM, XM and AUX, and pauses (and resumes) USB, IPod, BT audio and apps. Like whether it mutes or pauses depends on the source. Tomorrow I will experiment.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Then the manual is wrong! If I hold the MODE button on steering wheel for 2 seconds, it pauses the AM, FM radio. When I then tap either the volume up or down arrow, the radio will resume to 1 second before I paused it. I'm not sure how MODE button behaves with other audio sources. Note: my Advanced has had programming changes made by dealer to stop repeating beeper on backup, and to stop silly boot up music. Could those changes affect the MODE button behaviour?

benagi likes this.
  6. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've played with my MODE button today with mixed results. Sometimes it will pause the audio and resume at that same point. Other times it acts just like muted volume and won't pick up where it was. Very odd. It might be dependent on whether the source is digital FM or regular FM. We have both here. I need to play with it more. Sure would be nice if the FM source was offering a countdown 10 to 1, or something that yielded a definitive answer. More tests ahead.

This situation reminds me of the little green dots on my map and the predictive regen feature that Advanced and Premium models have, which for me, at least, either decides to work one day, and then perhaps not the next. Still haven't figured that one out six months in.

My firmware is what was offered out of the factory in May 2017. I have had no updates yet.

7. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. DavidA,
    I'll try to see how the audio source affects the results of the "2-second MODE button", when I get a little time. I listen to NPR on FM, and have paused it regularly; my AM works the same way.
    I know it's a pause, because of the topic being discussed continues, even after the half hour show (Marketplace) is over.

8. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When experimenting, I noticed that when the Mode button is pressed and held, the top of the screen sometimes says mute and sometimes says pause. The message doesn’t stay long.

9. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Keen observation!! I'm going to see if it shows up on my screen.
    I'm sure whether it hits pause or mute mode is based on whether you twist your right hand facing to the east as you raise your head up, and then hold your breath!!! Or perhaps it mutes at 2 seconds, and pauses at 2.25 seconds! Stupid stuff!! Sometimes these electronic devices just aren't consistent (reliable?).
    Another point, on a serious note, I have JBL system of the Advanced; I wonder if that has any bearing on the issue.

walterm and benagi like this.
  10. albus

albus New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On my Advanced, it consistently pauses both AM and FM (irrespective of HD) with the accompanying message on the screen. XM always mutes, though. I have yet to test the CD player... ;)

walterm and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  11. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Albus, mine does the same as yours. I don’t have a CD player, but my USB input with a stick drive with my cds on it always pauses. Also, when I push and hold the Mute button a second time, it always resumes.

12. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another hint... When I think the MODE button has successfully Paused the program on a digital FM station, when the up or down button brings it out of Pause, the orange digital signal icon has disappeared, possibly meaning that what one is now listening to isn't digital anymore, but cached memory.

benagi, albus, walterm and 1 other person like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car has analog cached memory? o_O:rolleyes:;)

walterm likes this.
  14. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sure. It was a very early version of the Prime. When I was wanting to change the cabin air filter and while removing the glove compartment (the filter didn't need to be changed - it looked fine), I found the cassette with the recording tape in it. It appeared to be replaceable, so presumably one can save a radio program audio memory and replace that with a fresh tape, if desired.

;)

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The thread title does say Way Out There... :LOL:

16. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On the serious side, Mr. DavidA, my MODE button held for 2 seconds does PAUSE the AM, FM, and USB sources. It just stops my Pandora which I have to "restart" by tapping the > (play key) to continue. Pandora appears to continue where you left off (PAUSE), but I'm not sure.

AChoiredTaste.com

Mr. DavidA, did you find the mini abacus behind the 11.5" screen, used to calculate MPG values, on your Extremely Very Early (EVE) version of the Prime (then called the Prime Better) Advanced?.
    I understand that this version had the tallow reservoir (for the headlights, of course!), on the driver's side of radiator, for easy access!

AChoiredTaste.com

#156 HPrimeAdvanced, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
    walterm likes this.
  17. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been wondering why my headlights were dimming and going out on long night drives. Good to know how to replenish them. On the abacus - I am ashamed that I missed a week of grade school when that section was covered. Sounds like it could be useful, like when calculating reserve EV miles or headlamp fluid levels.

walterm and benagi like this.
  18. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    If you have the odometer on display, and you press and hold the trip button, the mpg's get zeroed out!

Ouch. Didn't mean to do that. My lifetime mpgs are gone forever.

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did that as well by mistake. Don't think there is a way to reserve it.

20. Skapruisprime

Skapruisprime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

I like to know too on the badges, want to de-badge