1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. barefootmatt

barefootmatt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Nov 21 2006, 05:29 AM) [snapback]352448[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, not so! A Prius plus an Insight will carry 6 adults more efficiently than two Prii.

2. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Barefoot Matt @ Dec 5 2006, 02:43 AM) [snapback]357845[/snapback]</div>
    Is the Insight "currently available?" I was told (by a salesman) that it wasn't in the US lineup. If not here in the US, is it available elsewhere?

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the insight is no longer manufactured. used is the best you can get today

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 5 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]357887[/snapback]</div>
    It just went out of production in Sept. '06, seems like you still might find a new one at a dealer somewhere.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, the Prius was my second choice. I wanted an Insight (better MPG, plus it looks even cooler), but the Honda dealer didn't have any and wouldn't be getting any more. So I went across the street to my Toyota dealer and have been happy ever since.

6. InfideNino

InfideNino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Dec 3 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]356997[/snapback]</div>
    When I want to switch to the map screen during a phone call, I press the Dest button first (next to the MFD), and then the Map button. This way, you can go to the map screen without Jill interupting your call. Of course, you'll have to watch the MFD for instructions because Jill won't talk to you until you end your call (she can be kind of grumpy sometimes).

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(InfideNino @ Dec 5 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]357965[/snapback]</div>
    Really... I've never tried that! Thanks for the tip!

This is such a great site! B)

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(InfideNino @ Dec 5 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]357965[/snapback]</div>
    You call her Jill? I call her Holly (from Red Dwarf).

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 5 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]358047[/snapback]</div>
    I call her Jill as well, based on reading a thread a read a long time ago where someone was investigating the DVD and found a voice file called vfjill or something like that, to which the general concensus around here was that it meant "voice-female-jill". I guess that's what the engineers called her. Or something like that. :lol:

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I"ve noticed if you traverse a path enough times "I don't know what the majic number is" the destination setting will choose your preferred diversion rather than the default route it gives you at first.

For instance if you plug in a destination and its 50 miles away and it likes to keep routing you through a small town down its business district, but you always divert around it...
    After making the trip several times and the navigation will finally figure out thats your preferred choice and will start routing you that way when you plug in that same destination.

11. Mr07touring

Mr07touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Cruise control speed can be increased or decreased by one MPH by tapping the cruise lever briefly either up or down respectively. Prior toyota's would do 2 or 3 MPH changes, so this greater control I found useful for matching speed with a truck (following at a suitable distance of course) or other vehicle while interstate droning.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr07Touring @ Dec 5 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]358343[/snapback]</div>
    Which part is obscure? The Prius increments being by 1 mph or the (supposed) 2 or 3 mph of prior Toyotas? My former 02 Nissan Maxima and 04 350Z go in 1 mph increments. I'm not sure when automakers started doing this though.

13. sseres

sseres New Member

A square kleenex box fits perfectly in the front of the storage compartment (whatever you call it -- the thing between the two front seats where you can throw all your change and stuff).

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Dec 5 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]358257[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... I must say that mine definitely does not 'adapt'.

In the 7 months I have been driving the car and using my navi for my daily commute - during which I *never* follow the suggested route for traffic reasons - it has never directed me any differently even though I take virtually the same route everyday. The only time I get different directions if I choose a different route type (Quick2, Short, or Detour route).

Is there some "intelligence" setting hidden somewhere? Would be cool if there was. ;)

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Dec 6 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]358394[/snapback]</div>
    I would definately like to know more about the parameters of this. I live in a neighborhood that off the beaten path so it always says "you will be taking road without complete guidance etc etc", and the faint line it gives you was always to another exit. I never took that exit. Also when coming home, it would choose the default entrace it liked.

Now thats its magically changed, it routes me through my favorite exit when leaving or coming home.

I'm not trying it on some "midroute" detours I"ve just started doing.. it may never work on "established" routes. Maybe it only works on those obscure "off the grid" routes it knows it doesn't have nailed down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr07Touring @ Dec 6 2006, 01:15 AM) [snapback]358343[/snapback]</div>
    Hey.. welcome to the forum.. I for one was not aware of this feature and appreciate you bringing it to my attention... :rolleyes:

16. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Dec 6 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]358447[/snapback]</div>
    It definitely works on "on the grid" routes. The first few times I had to drive into Boston, it said, "Hey, you want to take the scenic route that will get you there in 2:50!" Eventually it figured out I DO want to take the toll road that will get me there in an hour and a half.

17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Dec 6 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]358447[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Since I live near the "centre of the universe" (a.k.a. Toronto, but for the record I will always be a Montrealer!), I very seldom go into an area where turn by turn guidance is not available. In fact, I have done it exactly once in my 7+ months of ownership.

Obviously you have an '06 as well so mapping DVD could not have changed, and I am sure it is fairly safe to assume no other servicing/software updates would have been applied that may affect the behaviour.

I wonder if anyone else driving regularly in an "unguided" area may have noticed a similar behaviour...?

PS - another quirk of the Navigation is that in Canada "Jill" doesn't pronounce the highway numbers. They are all simply called "Freeways", or at least all the ones I've driven on, anyway. It caught me off guard the first time I drove to Buffalo, NY and she told me to "stay right onto the I-90"! :huh: :lol:

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To lift the rear windshield wiper away from the car so you can properly wash the hatch window underneath, remove the little plastic cover at the base of the wiper.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 5 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]357946[/snapback]</div>
    And, you got rear seats!

20. cliffdvr

cliffdvr New Member

I just discovered that you can turn off the stereo by holding the "mode" button on the steering wheel down for a few seconds.