1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Side dash vents blow in all vent settings (floor arrow, floor/dash arrow, etc.).

Page 289 of my '06 manual.

2. kDB

kDB New Member

The airbags are powered by a backup source for 90 seconds after the Prius is turned off.

The stereo tuning buttons on the steering wheel can be switched between seek tuning and manual tuning. I don't mean preset seek, but holding the button until it beeps. I haven't figured out how yet, need to read my manual again. It seems to do it on it's own now and then. Usually stuck on the one I don't want.

3. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Both buttons on the stereo (volume and tuning/file) can be pushed in with no effect -- other than giving your dash a smoother profile. :D

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Resurecting the thread ... again ... if you're coasting to a stop (on a hill or incline at least) and you put it in neutral, then allow the car to begin coasting backwards, the MFD wheels will continue to spin in the same direction, rather than go into reverse, whereas changing the shifter's direction WILL allow the MFD wheel display to change direction (at least on or '04)

5. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

European version (is this the same in the US one?):

With the doors locked, you can unlock the driver side door from the inside by simply pulling the release handle. The door will unlock (only that door!) and open (you will feel a little extra resistance because you're mechanically unlocking the door).

BUT: this does not work on the passenger side, pulling the release with the doors locked only results in a slightly panicky "help I'm locked in, let me out!" feeling. I've never had a passenger yet who figured out how to get out of the car when the doors are locked! The unlock button cunningly camouflages itself by turning black when you lock the doors.

6. squall

squall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 25 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]353923[/snapback]</div>
    It is not your imagination. If you have ever done long distance bicycling, it will have become clear that nature consistently provides a predominance of uphills and headwinds whenever you take a trip.

On another issue, the random play selection when using the JBL CD system only allows random play of the disk playing when you select the option. It will not allow the changer to go back and fourth from disk to disk and truely give you a 6 disk random play sequence. That is unless an adjustment is on some secret screen. After all, I am truly a rookie user and poster at this point.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like how the speedo works in reverse. Until my Pri, I never knew that, for the last eight years, I've probably been doing close to 15mph (backwards) down my driveway!

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 23 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]379630[/snapback]</div>
    I've been driving mine for a year and a half and never noticed. Thanks!

9. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Jan 23 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]379607[/snapback]</div>
    On the 2005 (and probably your 2007), the audio screen on the mfd has two random buttons. The one labeled 'rand' makes random selections from a single disk; the one labeled 'disk rand' selects from all disks.

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Jan 23 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]379593[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm ... so why are you locking people in your car? :)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Jan 23 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]379593[/snapback]</div>
    The auto-unlock works on BOTH front doors in the NA version.

12. dylandog

dylandog New Member

Don't know if this was posted: you can't open the little drawer in the center console if the front cup holder is open. ;)

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I you bring up the address book in your navigation and go to " my places" for instance and scroll down as fast as you can by holding down the >> button after about 30 seconds... let the button go and the screen keeps going!!!!............... but its not! LOL! :lol:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dylandog @ Jan 26 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]381383[/snapback]</div>
    Yes you can. I suspect the reason why you can't is because you have to reach around the cupholder which means you don't have the angle.

If you've noticed, you have to lift the drawer to open it. When the cupholder is closed and you reach for the drawer, you automatically lift it as you open it. When the cupholder is open, you reach around and you don't have the angle when your hand pulls on the drawer making it seem like it's locked in position.

Try it next time - pull straight forward vs. pull straight and up.

15. toad

toad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 21 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]352764[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure about this? :huh: I've been avoided the EV mod because I'm worried it would void the warranty. I'm afraid Toyota will try to get out of fixing the hybrid battery if it something happens.

Nice thread! :lol: I've learned a lot.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it is pretty well documented that Toyota will not void the warantee on the EV switch

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toad @ Jan 26 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]381555[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Federal law. First, the battery would need to be harmed (hasn't happened), second, they'd have to prove that the EV switch caused the harm (would be a tough one since the switch comes from the factory in other markets). The switch is not left off of our cars to protect the battery - it is for pollution control reasons.

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 26 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]381580[/snapback]</div>
    And third the system is designed so that EV gets turned off whenever the SOC% isn't in the specified "allowed" range. If that fails to work, it's not the fault of the EV switch.

Dave M.

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The computer is already totally EV savy and prepared for its full operation.
    All the failsafes are already in place and "totally functional" once EV is activated.

So Toyota themselves already have it fully in place in your car..... you just need the switch to turn it on and off!
    Thats the only thing missing!....

20. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jan 27 2007, 07:21 AM) [snapback]381636[/snapback]</div>

….and the wire across the dash board, which then has to get connected to the controller plug on the right hand side. Toyota can then claim unauthorized dash board and controller disassembly.