1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. gotroot801

gotroot801 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Dec 9 2006, 01:34 AM) [snapback]359642[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Dec 9 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]359882[/snapback]</div>
    The same holds true when pressing the Audio button.

And here I thought I'd found something new. :lol:

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm i thought heated mirrors only worked on the rear defrost setting?

3. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 27 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]397230[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the same thing, go figure

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mykoleary @ Feb 26 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]396878[/snapback]</div>
    huh? the heated mirrors are linked to the rear defroster.

5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 27 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]397230[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. According to p 118 of the 2006 owner's manual and also p. 297. And also the circuit diagram in the service manual wiring diagrams. I guess some obscure facts are more obscure than others.

I have had 5 cars now with heated mirrors and they have all worked this way. Seems to be sort of a standard.

That is a great thing about this forum - it generally quickly dispels mistaken notions we all pick up from time to time.

- Tom

6. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Feb 8 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]387149[/snapback]</div>
    That is that buttons only purpose isn't it? Kind of like saying "The headlight switch turns on and off the headlights."

7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 27 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]397541[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it does have another purpose, but only for CAN-View users. It'll take you from the CAN-View screen (the model in the MFD) to the ENERGY or CONSUMPTION screen. Of course, the cruise control will take you to the CAN-View screen, if you have the EV mod installed and use the CC stick to go into EV. Then it'll switch to the CAN-View display after making the other switch.

I guess this is obscure, but only because only a relatively few have CAN-View (V3).

Dave M.

8. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Saw it hinted at, but not explicitly mentioned. The Dome lights switch for the front and back seat are not standardized. I think it goes, for the front seat, ON is towards the passenger side. In the back seat, ON is towards the driver side. OFF is still on the opposite side as ON, and DOOR is in the middle.

My initial thoughts were that this was an intentional ergonomic setting. The logic goes as follows. If you touch the front switch with your palm facing you (knuckles facing front window) then turn ON the light you slide towards you thumb. If you then reach to the back dome light with your palm facing you (knuckles towards rear window) to turn on, you still push towards your thumb.

I may have the positioning completely inverted since I'm not at my car, but I know the two switches are different in the '07.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To turn off the car from ACC mode without cycling to IG-ON, just pull the key out of the slot (if you don't have SKS).

10. mykoleary

mykoleary Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 27 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]397408[/snapback]</div>
    Well, color me stupid... *blush*

11. thepixiesarah

thepixiesarah New Member

The felt liner in my second glovebox (below the CD player) is not attached and slides out when I slide out my garage door opener.

Pressing the map or info button will also cancel voice command mode.

Recieving a phone call on the bluetooth also pre-empts the back-up cam.

Making a phone call less then two parking spaces away from the Prius, with the Prius shut off, will still route the call through the bluetooth.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if this happens every time or was just a fluke:

When listening to a CD in shuffle mode, when it finished, it started playing itself again (as opposed to going on to the next CD).

13. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 4 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]399944[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's the way it always works.

There are two random or shuffle modes, all the track of a disc repeated indefinitely or all tracks of all the discs. THe second mode is enabled by pressing and holding the random button of the MFD audio section. I really like that mode. It's now my favorite as I'll put in six discs by the same or similar artists.

14. Jaqueh2

Jaqueh2 New Member

While traveling with using ur ICE and not electric, but suddenly you are going slower, but u dont want to coast...you can "reset" the computer into using the same power but from the electric engine by letting go of the gas and tapping the pedal again. I have no idea why but it works

15. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 21 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]352628[/snapback]</div>
    Try opening the hood, removing the fuse block cover on the driver's side and accessing the 12v power point (red plastic cover) for a jump start.....

16. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Dec 12 2006, 06:34 AM) [snapback]360817[/snapback]</div>
    Prius doesn't HAVE an alternator. The invertor/convertor recharges the 12v batt. and without the 12v batt you cannot power any of the systems.

17. Mister Swigart

Mister Swigart New Member

Everytime you press "I agree" on the screen before using the navigation system, it activates a hidden camera that is directly connected to Toyota's law offices. :rolleyes:

The Lone Ranger
    Rides Again!

18. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    CAUTION

When jump starting a Prius with non-rechargeable batteries, place a diode in series with one battery terminal. You don't want current flowing back into your battery. You'll lose 0.7 Volt over the diode.

Rechargeable batteries shouldn't have a problem.

19. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Nov 20 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]352339[/snapback]</div>
    You are right, it looks the width diameter is a couple of inches greater than that of the height. Doing this with the steering wheel is not a completely new idea. Our 1963 Chrysler New Yorker also has a steering wheel that is more or less flat on the top and bottom.

I am new at posting on this forum, but I will try to attach a photo of the flat top wheel. Hope this works.

Attached Files:

20. just_marci

just_marci New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Dec 20 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]364605[/snapback]</div>
    You can just say "cancel". I don't get to play with the voice commands that much since I don't have navigation, but I took a shot on that one and it worked.

- Marci

Data Daedalus likes this.