1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

How about this?. You grasp the driver's door . There are two buzzer sounds and the locked door opens. Of course the fob is in my pocket. Found this out by accident.

Mary

2. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Mar 11 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]403938[/snapback]</div>
    SURELY you read the owner's manual that came with your shiny new $26,000 toy, right?

No one should be finding out blindingly obvious things by accident.

I'm still laughing at the people who didn't know what the door lock button was, they were so busy hitting all the electrical buttons. "That little button with a red sticker on it, by the door handle." Yup. Obscure and way out there, all right.

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone posted this, but you can hit the power button to shut the car off withing hitting the park button first. It will engage into park for you, and then you're good to go. However, not sure if that's good or bad for the car....

4. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

What does the owner's manual say?

I'm still waiting to get mine.

I'm sure the owner's manual addresses this issue directly--just like it does the issue of "these are the door lock buttons, just like what every car has had since 1950".

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 15 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]406076[/snapback]</div>
    You can always spend $10 and download the owner's manual and any other tech material you like about the Prius or any other Toyota vehicle at their tech site:
    http://techinfo.toyota.com/

Then you can speak from fact, maybe quote page numbers, etc instead of just insulting people and speculating without any facts at all to back you up about what the manual may or may not say.

6. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Ah, but I merely asked a question: what does the owner's manual say?

I made no "speculation without facts to back (me) up". In fact, I very specifically avoided that, and asked for someone else--anyone else--to check the owner's manual, which I don't have yet since I don't have my car yet. (And I don't need to spend $10 just to get it a day or two early.)

In fact, if any speculation came about it was from Rxmxsh, who speculated about the practice itself. I merely suggested that it might be in the owner's manual.

Why did you infer what you did from my simple question?

Have YOU checked the owner's manual for this yet? You can, since you have one. What does it say?

7. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the way the music pauses, if in CD mode, when I make a BT call, then picks up right where it left off after the call ends. On my other cars, it jus mutes the sound.

8. Zaxxon

Zaxxon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 15 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]406160[/snapback]</div>
    Bzzt! :)

9. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zaxxon @ Mar 15 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]406268[/snapback]</div>

:p LOL

10. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I just noticed this. As you approach the car with the fob, the dome light illuminates only if the car is locked (i.e, before you open the door).

11. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 20 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]352358[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet! I totally didn't know about that (though I've only had the car for a week).

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimgraffam @ Mar 15 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]406370[/snapback]</div>
    That also brings to mind that there is a very small red LED on the fob that blinks as soon as it comes within range of the car (which triggers the dome light - see my line of thinking? ;) ), also when starting the car using SmartStart.

This is handy for testing the range of the fob, or else determining which smart key is being accessed when both are in range. B)

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Mar 16 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]406790[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. It'll also blink if you press the lock/unlock buttons on the fob

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 15 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]406160[/snapback]</div>
    Yes you did speculate that the owners manual specifically addressed this question and implied that the poster had not bothered to look it up.
    That is speculation that it addresses it directly...but you have no facts to back that up, only your presumptions, assumptions and speculation.

15. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    toyota 2007 owners manual page 306

why do they call it the 'rear console box' when it is in the front?
    is there a front console box?

page 296

the climate control system uses the light sensor on the dash???? is this supposed to sense
    my windsheild should be defrosted?

16. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Strange spike in fuel consumption while slowing down, try this:

Get the car up to a speed above 68 kph/42mph, the ICE must be warm, the cabin warm enough not to need the ICE running for heat. Switch the MFD to show fuel consumption (the yellow bars), then let go of the gas pedal. Watch the fuel consumption as your speed decreases. The ICE will switch off, you should see 99.9 MPG or 0.0 l/100km. So far, all is normal.

But: when the speed goes through the 68 kph/42mph barrier, you should see some fuel being consumed for a second or so. Then it will go back to no fuel being used. Not sure if you can see this in the US version, but it shows on the MFD in the European version, probably the Canadian version as well.

I understand that above 42 mph, the ICE needs to spin, it's a side effect of the power split device. Below 42 mph, the ICE can stop spinning when it's not needed (and it does). But why the spike in fuel consumption? Is it real? Why would it need any fuel to stop spinning?

Another obscure fact: you can feel a slight change in resistance as you slow down through this 42 mph barrier.

17. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rigormortis @ Mar 16 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]406933[/snapback]</div>
    No, the car uses a combination of the following information to determine what climate control settings would *feel* most comfortable:

1. Desired (set) temperature
    2. Cabin temperature
    3. Outside temperature
    4. Amount of sunlight hitting the car

If I had to *guess* it works something like this:

1. (desired vs. outside) determines:
    a. how fast to run the variable-speed A/C compressor (when cooling)
    b. whether or not it needs to force the ICE to run and/or use aux electric heat

2. (desired vs. inside) determines:
    a. cooling or heating mode
    b. fan speed*

3. (inside vs outside) determines:
    a. fresh/recirc vent setting
    b. need for defrost

4. light sensor determines:
    a. fan speed*
    b. air flow vent settings (floor, dash, mix)
    c. when warranty is voided by greatly exceeding the maximum rated speed ;)

* You'll want more air velocity if it's sunny, less if it's at night. Also, you'll want less fan for heating (faster air feels colder) especially when the engine isn't warmed up and providing much heat.

18. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 16 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]406926[/snapback]</div>

So are you going to look in your owner's manual?

19. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 20 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]352401[/snapback]</div>

Why would you want to use the drivers side vanity light while moving?

20. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Nov 21 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]352448[/snapback]</div>

Hmm... Ok Mr. Mathematician, I have to pester you with this one. What if you wanted to move 16 Prius cars at 100 mph down the highway. Would it be more fuel efficient to drive them in a line, or would it be more efficient to just put them all onto a truck? Assume the truck with it's Detriot 60 Diesal, gets 5 mpg at that speed carrying 16 Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 21 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]352649[/snapback]</div>

And the phone on my 06, the Bluetooth connection to my phone that is, has a seperate volume level too, which can also be controlled at the steering wheel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Nov 21 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]352721[/snapback]</div>

Kewl.....