1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. godzy49

godzy49 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leo @ Nov 27 2006, 05:08 AM) [snapback]354334[/snapback]</div>
    On the european version happens the same.

Plastic covers for alloy wheels on the european version...

2. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan. @ Mar 19 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]408592[/snapback]</div>
    I also have a 150W MotoMaster power inverter that acts the same with the 12V in the armrest. I noticed however that it only faults if I am in "Accessory" mode - if the car is "READY", then it works there just fine.

I guess the car allows a higher current flow to that outlet when the car is "running"...? I'm no expert in the matter... :huh:

3. Mister Swigart

Mister Swigart New Member

Did you know that all the idiot-lights and idiot-beeps on my car were meant for other people? :lol:

The Lone Ranger

4. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Mar 16 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]406939[/snapback]</div>
    Hi all

I haven't seen any responses to this, so:

- you are quite right, this is known behaviour [and surely qualifies as "obscure" :) ]
    - I have read that it is done for emissions reasons: the fuel squirt is used to heat the catalysts because they may receive no more exhaust for a while. I don't know if this is true, but it seems very plausible and no better ideas so far..

regards

Jerry

5. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

(..."One thing I didnt see anyone post on, the info button on the steering wheel will toggle between the fuel consumption and the fuel economy screen.")
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 28 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]397541[/snapback]</div>
    No, not really. My info button does not do that, so if you were right it would have no function at all :)

The function of the info button is to move you to the info screen, from whatever screen you were previously on. In addition, if you have an ECU produced by a certain date, (mid 2005?) it will also toggle between the two info screens, as the OP said. My Dec 2003 model doesn't do this

regards

Jerry

6. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SECRET MOTOROLA Phone Holder-Built In
    OK, figured I'd post again.
    IF you have a Moto V6xx or V5xx series phone:
    1- Open the storage area plexi window below the radio.
    2-Turn your phone 90 degrees so it's horizontal.
    3-Gently place it in the outer groove-hold the phone by the "top" and "bottom"
    4-Close the plexi door.
    Your phone will stay there most of the time and you can see it through the smoked plexi when a call comes in. If you go uphill it may fall into the plexi.

7. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The smoke-colored drop down compartment door under the CD/radio unit is actually transparent. Shining a light through the door will reveal the compartment contents.

8. JustAnotherAsian

JustAnotherAsian New Member

bump

obscure fact #1:
    the prius is of a "kammback" design.
    Kammback design

obscure fact #2:
    there are two holes in the overhead console for microphones, but only one microphone. the passenger side's hole must be for the RHD markets i believe.

obscure fact #3:
    the the cover for the rear storage area (not sliding cover for the trunk) technically can't be opened with a toyota-genuine-accecory floormat in place. the floormat covers the side parts as well, so you have to fold those little parts in to open the darn cover.

obscure fact #4:
    on the '05 (because i'm not sure about the '06+ guys), the front headrests vertically adjust in 3 positions in addition to the normal position when it's simply resting on the seatback (low, mid, high). the rear headrests only have one more postion other than the normal postion when it's simply resting on the seatback- a position that's like 6 inches above "normal".

obscure fact #5 (ok not really):
    the reflectors in the taillight are pretty good- so good that the puny 168 bulb for the taillights is just as bright and effective as most taillight designs. 168 bulbs are usually reserved for interior illumination, license plate illumination, or sidemarker lighting. kudos to toyota on that.

Data Daedalus and PriusGuy32 like this.
  9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

1. In the trunk the cubby area to the left is larger then the cubby area to the right. Flip your trunk mat upside down to carry messy items so you don't soil the carpet and see for yourself.

2. Many Prius drivers are Geniuses.

10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure whether this qualifies as an obscure fact or it's just something I don't quite understand.

When you fuel up, the average mpg reading on the consumption screen does not get reset, but the miles driven resets to zero. You have to press the Reset button to reset the mpg reading.

Is there a reason why the miles driven gets reset automatically but not the avg mpg?

11. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    New facts found on an '07 US Prius.

01b) When you turn off the car, you have about a one minute countdown where the power windows will still work (so you can power off, and still roll up the windows). If you open the (drivers) door during that countdown, the timer automatically expires.

10b) When traveling at 50mph if you roll down the right (passenger) rear window you will get a defining base reverberation.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan. @ May 3 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]434942[/snapback]</div>
    01b was true on my 04 and is true on my 06

10b is true as well on both and i could do it with BOTH sides!!

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan. @ May 3 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]434942[/snapback]</div>
    technically, it's 43 seconds, not 1 min.

10b) phew, I thought it was just my car lol.

14. seftonde

seftonde New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny some should mention the reverberation. I first noticed it when I had my kids in the car and they rolled the read windows down. It happens even slower, about 25 and it is a loud pulse that is annoying as all getout. I think it has to do with the aerodynamics and airflow of the car - which is cool when you think about it.

daniel

15. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many folks complain about the lack of functionality with the Bluetooth phone when the car is in motion. As most people know, once moving, if you push the "off-hook" switch, or select telephone, the Mfd defaults to the speed dial list. And it appears that is all one has access to.

BUT, throught voice recognition there is much more complete functionality.

Begin from any screen and push the "talk" button for voice recognition. Say "dial by number" and it will let you say any number to dial and call. Or, Say "dial by name" and your phone book will appear and any entry with a previously programmed voice tag can be said aloud and dialed.

So infact, you have access to the phone book, simply by voice. Just program those voice tags!

16. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I for one, would like to know:
    On a Prius with Nav, the car knows where it is, and the satellites provide GMT time. Why is is necessary to EVER set the clock? (besides congress changing DST)

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ttait @ May 6 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]436482[/snapback]</div>
    yea, it wasn't the most ideal design. My wife's highlander hybrid does use the GPS for the clock and you only need to adjust for DST...very nice to have that.

18. esetter

esetter New Member

The ever changing multi-color arrows on the MFD do actually mean something.

19. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ May 2 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]433931[/snapback]</div>
    So you can keep a continually running average MPG if you want. The miles gives you the miles on this tank, eventually this helps figure out when to fill up (along with the gauge), so this resets each time.

20. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ May 6 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]436570[/snapback]</div>
    Does anybody here actually keep this running average mpg?

I've always reset it to 0 so I know what it is for the tank. Of course, it means I have to record everything on a spreadsheet in order to keep a running average.